max. file size?

striker

I want to download the foX Desktop Pro which is 3,093GB in size and don't want to use torrents. Max. file size in Windows is 2GB for a file in one chunk. What's the max. file size - if any - for a file in one chunk in linux?I searched for a linux cd/dvd-reseller in europe which sells the DVD, I came up dry. I plan to download the distro overnight, which will take around 7,75 - 8 hours with the lousy speed I have (DSL).

Hi StrikerHere is a quote from a kernel mailing list:

> Can you tell me, please, what the file size limit on ext3 is (should be, if> any)?Depends upon the block size.Block size file size1 kb 16 GB2 kb 256 GB4 kb 2048 GB8 kb 2048 GBLinux 2.4 limits single block device sizes to 2 TB.
So that was 2 TB for kernel 2.4 . . . . . . I imagine that for 2.6 the sizes did not get smaller :DHave fun downloading ! . . . . . ( Boy, a 2 TB download . . . . how long would that take ? )Source: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/ker...403.3/1673.html:thumbsup: Bruno

I want to download the foX Desktop Pro which is 3,093GB in size and don't want to use torrents. Max. file size in Windows is 2GB for a file in one chunk. What's the max. file size - if any - for a file in one chunk in linux?I searched for a linux cd/dvd-reseller in europe which sells the DVD, I came up dry. I plan to download the distro overnight, which will take around 7,75 - 8 hours with the lousy speed I have (DSL).
striker,the max file size in FAT32 is 4GB; in NTFS it is 2TB in basic volumes and can be up to 256TB in dynamic volumes. DOS FAT16 has a 2GB file size limit. I have a 16GB VMware disk file that holds my Vista VMware guest for example.

Looks Like peachy beat me to it.Here is a list of file size for windows.Mel :thumbsup: In Windows XP Professional, you can format a FAT32 volume only up to 32GB.Cannot be used on floppy disks.File size capabilities NTFSMaximum file size 16TB minus 64KB (244 minus 64KB). Fat 16Maximum file size 4GB. Fat 32Maximum file size 4GB.Files per volume NTFS4,294,967,295 (232 minus 1 files). Fat 1665,536 (216 files). Fat 32Approximately 4,194,304 (222 files). Edited by mhbell

Thanks folks, seems I got confused somewhere.
Your Welcom and we all get that way sooner or later. BTW I am downloading the Fox Desktop pro right now as I write this. 98% Oops It just told me that it is all done. 3.1 GB ISO almost 3 hours to download it. will have to burn it tonight when I get back from computer club meeting. See what it is like.Mel :thumbsup:

Your Welcom and we all get that way sooner or later. BTW I am downloading the Fox Desktop pro right now as I write this. 98% Oops It just told me that it is all done. 3.1 GB ISO almost 3 hours to download it. will have to burn it tonight when I get back from computer club meeting. See what it is like.
Hee... you beat me to it! :thumbsup: Keep us posted Mel, tonight I start the download over here.