Registry won't let me edit/delete a key!

jeffw_00

Hi. I've been tracking down a problem that manifests itself as not letting me set the detault mail client. By comparing to a machine with good behavior, I've narrowed it down to a registry key HKCR/mailto. On the offending machine, this key has an extra valueEdit Flags 02 00 00 00and, to my frustration, I can't edit or delete the key (which has the wrong value). I think the routines that are trying to set default mail client start by trying to set this key, fail, and terminate. How do I delete/edit a registry key that responds with an error and says I can't edit/delete the key? ( can edit/delete other keys in the registry just fine. WIN XP HOME SP2 from Administrator account).Thanks/j

Marsden - I can change -other keys - just not this particular oneepp_b - that program showed that a program MSASCUI.exe was using the key, but killing the program didn't help (even though handle said nothing else had it). There must be some way to force surgery on the registry - maybe in safe mode? I just need to delete 1 key and edit another. any thoughts?thanks!/j

Edited by jeffw_00

I googled the exe file and found this.

Question: Can you close Windows Defender and stop the files it maintains in memory?Answer: Defender loads two executables (the aforementioned MSASCui.exe and MSMPeng.exe). On my machine they use up 10 and 13 Megs of memory respectively. That compares pretty closely to total memory usage of the older MSAS program which has these two files: gcasserv.exe and gcasDtServ.exe.To answer your question...there is no shutdown option for Defender like you get in Microsoft AntiSpyware. This beta is designed to be integrated into the next operating system (Vista). If you want to stop the program you will need to manually stop the two Defender executable files in Task Manager (hit Control-Shift-Escape keys to quickly bring up Task Manager). Or to permanently remove Windows Defender there is an uninstall entry in Add/Remove Programs.
Kill WindowsDefender for a bit then maybe you can edit the registry key.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, you would need to end ANY System Monitoring programs if you wish to change registry settings that could be protected by them for security reasons.What you may need to do since Windows Defender is always running as a service, is to disable the monitoring within Windows Defender while you make the change. You can then re enable it afterwards.Same with any other system monitoring programs you may have set.Changing permissions may not work by itself if Windows Defender is set to monitor the system.