Changes to Windows Live Mail 2012

Corrine

It's amazing how many people I know want to have the latest and greatest Windows 10 upgrade, but they still want to use the same old Windows Live Mail they used with Windows 7 or Outlook Express from XP. I've been encouraging everyone I help out to just read their email on the Web.

My technical nemesis Lillian insisted on using some brain-dead version of the Microsoft Mail app she had in Windows 8 and that app wouldn't even print her emails for months. No way to fix it except upgrade to Windows 10. Then it worked again.

• Like 1

I've been encouraging everyone I help out to just read their email on the Web.

That's what I did for years until the provider for one of my email accounts finally managed to make their web interface so inconvenient that I gave up and went back to Thunderbird. I don't really know if it is my linux operating system or my choice of browser that caused the issues, but it was too much. Hope I don't have to go back to that again (current uncertainties about Thunderbird's future).

My ISP uses Yahoo as its web and email supplier so I can read my email with Yahoo's web client. It's not too bad. The competing ISP in my town (Bell) used to use Microsoft Outlook but recently have set up their own web client. In any case, I believe that the future of email is on the Web.

We use Thunderbird in our Windows desktop because my wife likes it. I never set it up anywhere else.

I have a throwaway Gmail address that gets all kinds of junk and its interface is frankly awful. I just go in occasionally to dump the trash.

V.T. Eric Layton

Will Thunderbird in Linux still work?

I can't seem to find any definitive information about how this may affect T-bird users, so I'm going to assume that it won't affect us. How's that for positive thinking? ;)

My ISP uses Yahoo as its web and email supplier so I can read my email with Yahoo's web client.

Interesting--I have an account that uses the Yahoo interface too, and that's the one I can't stand.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I just logged into the web mail for the account I mentioned above for the first time in nearly a year and found that the Yahoo interface seems to have improved.

Edited by ebrke

My ISP uses Yahoo as its web and email supplier so I can read my email with Yahoo's web client.

Interesting--I have an account that uses the Yahoo interface too, and that's the one I can't stand.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I just logged into the web mail for the account I mentioned above for the first time in nearly a year and found that the Yahoo interface seems to have improved.

I don't use the Web interface all that much as everything gets downloaded to Thunderbird anyway. However I can use it to check email when on holiday.

Will Thunderbird in Linux still work?

I can't seem to find any definitive information about how this may affect T-bird users, so I'm going to assume that it won't affect us. How's that for positive thinking? ;)

You're right. It is only Windows Live Mail. As I posted elsewhere in response to questions about the change:

Email accounts ending in @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com and @msn.com are powered by Outlook.com. Outlook.com is migrating to the Office 365 infrastructure. However, the mail app "Windows Live 2012" is NOT being migrated to the Office 365 structure. Apparently there were issues with Windows Live 2012 due to it using a legacy protocol that could not be overcome in the transition to the back-end mechanism that runs Office 365.

So, yes you can still use those email addresses. The only change is users of Windows Live 2012 will be able to receive Gmail, Yahoo and other email services that use POP3 or IMAP protocols but will not be able to receive @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com and @msn.com email with Windows Live 2012. Thus, if you don't use Windows Live 2012, nothing changes.

This does not mean that Office 365 is needed for those email accounts. They will still continue to work with the web browser, Thunderbird and other email clients.

• Like 2