How do you Surf?

GolfProRM

Which is your PRIMARY Browser?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't know why I didn't think of this until now, but am quite curious as to how everyone surfs the internet. If you're like me, you've got a couple installed, but I tend to use one as my primary, and the others for testing stuff.My primary is Firebird (although I'm sure all of you knew that)...I also have Mozilla and IE installed... (thinking about testing Netscape 7.1 though)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GolfProRM

• SonicDragon

• brucekrymow

• epp_b

Hi Ryan, great idea...sometimes the most obvious subject for a poll, gets forgotten. :lol: Glad you thought of it....btw - Firebird, although am testing "Mozilla 1.4-sea" right now. ;)

nlinecomputers

I'm running Mozilla 1.4 RC3 right now. I perfer it over firebird. Firebird is fast but alot of the features are disabled or hidden and I like the look and feel of Moz.

brucekrymow
avantlogo2.gifdownloadbutton.gif
  • You ever lose opened pages because Internet Explorer crashed? Avant reopens all of them!
  • You ever try to post and lose all you entered? No more!
  • Open multiple pages w/o switching back-and-forth, loading quietly in background, ready when you are ready
  • Built-in pop-up stopper
  • Open pages or groups automatically at launch
  • Fully customizable to your preferences
  • Many new.gif features here! Too many to list!

This should be a 2 part poll.IE is my primary browser but Firebird is making a surge toward a 50/50 usage. After the Firebird is much more polished it will be a 50/50 for me. I used to be a 80/20 Netscape vs. IE fan. ver the past few years I have been using IE more and more often. I can't remember the last time I used Netscape 4.76 (my latest install) I tried 7 and did not like the bloat. Since May I have been using Firebird 30% if the time IE 60% and Webcopier 10%. I use WebCopier to browse sites that I used Netscape for in the past since the "Shft-Click" save option is only in Netscape thru version 4.Chris

avantlogo2.gifdownloadbutton.gif
  • You ever lose opened pages because Internet Explorer crashed? Avant reopens all of them!
  • You ever try to post and lose all you entered?  No more!
  • Open multiple pages w/o switching back-and-forth, loading quietly in background, ready when you are ready
  • Built-in pop-up stopper
  • Open pages or groups automatically at launch
  • Fully customizable to your preferences
  • Many new.gif features here! Too many to list!

Gee... Don't think there's anything on the list that the Mozilla and/or Firebird can't do. ;) Not that I'm dissing Avant, but I think it's a bit bloated. Also, it uses the IE engine to render webpages...

Cluttermagnet

I tend to use browsers near 100 percent while I am favoring them. Right now it is Phoenix 0.5 stable, and indeed virtually 100 percent. I also tried and like Firebird 0.6 stable but it was a memory leaker. I will keep trying a few of the nightlies. I have high hopes for Firebird/Mozilla. Other browsers presently on this HD, in decreasing order of preference:Mozilla 1.2.1 (not enough time to have updated, besides Firebird is stealing it's thunder), K-Meleon 0.7 including an update, Beonex Communicator 0.8.1 stable (formerly used it a lot, big stack of bookmarks accumulated, now has fallen from favor- it was not all _that_ stable), Netscape 4.79 (yes, it renders recent CSS just awful but I used this one for years- I especially like how they set it up to work with bookmark management), Off By One (interesting, tiny), Netscape 7.0 (OK but bloated, lots of spyware tendencies that need to be defanged).I will no doubt try other browsers from time to time. It's a fascinating part of the 'hobby' aspect of home computing- to try stuff just for the heck of it. I see I downloaded a tiny one recently called "sbrowser". Oh, er- I do use IE, but only rarely. I have 5.00 installed by Win98. Only run it when forced, like for downloading Windows patches. :lol: IE always has to ask me for permission to access the internet. Zone Alarm keeps it bottled otherwise. I noticed over the years that a lot of essentially legitimate software (freeware) I installed would wake up and phone home immediately using IE and without telling me it was going to do so or asking permission. Thus the setup in ZA where I get asked for each and every instance of IE getting initially loaded and trying to 'dial out'.I have essentially _triple_ mistrust issues with IE. Resentment towards MS over basic control issues and their unethical behavior in the marketplace, mistrust of IE as a prime hacker exploit target, and mistrust of marginally honest software firms that do not respect my right to control internet traffic to/from my machine. If IE were a person who worked in a big company I owned, he would have been demoted and had his desk moved into the copy room, like that Saturday Night Live parody a few years back. The only reason we didn't fire him outright is that he is so good at fixing our expensive, unreliable copy machine, the "Windows" model, which we signed a bad lease deal on and now regret. We have another 15 months to go on the lease and our attornies say we can't get out of our contract. After the lease is up, that machine and the copy guy are history! I'm a Netscape loyalist from _way_ back (1996) and yes, we're still angry! :P :lol:

nlinecomputers
Nathan, did you notice that the Final version of 1.4 is out? http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/forums/inde...&f=26&t=1680&s=
Yep, After I posted on here I saw the post on Slashdot, downloaded and installed it, and then saw the posts here on Scot's. So I'm now running 1.4 FULL.Looks good and is fast. I didn't grab the talkback version so it is a little faster IMO.Edit: I "did" grab the talkback version and it is a little faster IMO. Forgive me English IS my native language so I have some problems with it. :lol: *shrug* It's been a Monday folks....

friendofdot

Just my $.02, but I'm now using Avant browser. Having tried Firebird many times and having had many problems after several days of using it, Avant has been problem free (knock on wood). Main thing is that is there are so many more choices today. However, after discovering tabs, it would be hard to go back to IE by itself.

brucekrymow
Gee... Don't think there's anything on the list that the Mozilla and/or Firebird can't do. :lol:  Not that I'm dissing Avant, but I think it's a bit bloated.  Also, it uses the IE engine to render webpages...
Mozilla constantly has issues whan rendering certain pages, thus requiring 2 browsers for most users.Mozilla cannot recover lost pages nor can it open groups upon its execution as well as a few other nice features such as background page opening w/o losing current page focus.Quite to the contrary - Avant is far from bloated - an all of its features work w/o hassle like Moz.

Okay... I was half wrong... Mozilla as currently stands can't do all of that, but Firebird can (especially when adding Tabbed Browsing Extension). The rendering issues that the Mozilla browsers have related to the fact that they follow the w3c standards as far as coding goes. The reason Avant doesn't have issues is because it uses the IE rendering engine. The engine is very weak when it comes to rendering proper code (it hasn't been truly updated since IE4), but tends to handle "bad code" better than Mozilla (or Opera for that matter). Since MS controls 90% of the browser use, they haven't bothered to update their rendering engine. Many pages that are completely w3c compliant do not render correctly in IE, but people tend to try to "fix" the page so it shows up in IE... not a good feature mind you.

brucekrymow

Hi, Ryan ~Firebird can recover lost pages/improper shutdown upon execution? And it can open all links quietly in background while one stays on the current page w/o switching back and forth? I haven't seen that feature. Have those recently been added? If that is the case, I would be willing to try in once again.I have yet to come across a page that has not rendered properly in IE ever, but have frequently w/ Netscape, Moz and Opera.

Looks like I am your first "other". This is because I am blind and missed seeing Galeon. This week my primary browser is Galeon. I was using Firebird but am now trying Galeon. Of course, this one is Linux only so it won't pertain to that many. I use Galeon as my primary but also have Firebird as a secondary. I love that you can selectively use pop-ups in Firebird. Galeon - I have fallen in love with the zillon things you an do with a right click. Everywhere you turn you get a new right click menu.. It has something called "bookmarklets" that allows you to zoom in on an image, scroll left, right, fast, slow, bookmark to a point on the page. You name it. It's there. I have to remember to do more with them. While I am typing a right click does copy, paste, move but when I am where you can't type, it changes to a completely different menu. If you use Linux, (sorry it is Linux specific) then you should try this one out. I was quite happy with Firebird until I tried this one.

Edited by teacher

You ever lose opened pages because Internet Explorer crashed? Avant reopens all of them!Open multiple pages w/o switching back-and-forth, loading quietly in background, ready when you are readyBuilt-in pop-up stopperOpen pages or groups automatically at launchFully customizable to your preferences
Bruce, you've found a wanna-be-mozilla-clone for IE. nice :lol: except mozilla never crashes for me, so the 'lost websites issue' is not really necessary :lol:

Ryan, HELP ! I cannot vote . . ????, It says I already voted, but I honestly did not !Hope I´m not banned from this poll.Put my vote in Galeon please.:lol: Bruno

I'll see what I can do Bruno and Julia... Maybe Scot can go in and fix it?

Never mind Ryan . . . . we´ll start a Linux specific poll over in the All Things Linux . . . :lol::lol: Bruno

Never mind Ryan . . . . we´ll start a Linux specific poll over in the All Things Linux . . . ;)B) Bruno
That doesn't sound like much fun. That's why I made this one Platform Independent! :blink:

Most Linux users won´t even come in here to look for the poll . . . . :blink: Bruno

Looks like I'm the first Netscape 6-7 vote. :)I use Netscape 7.1 primarily. However, here are *all* the browsers on my system: Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.0.2, Mozilla 1.4, Opera 7.11, Opera 7.03, Opera 6.05, Netscape Navigator 4.08, Netscape Navigator 3.04, Lynx for DOS 2.8.3, and Mozilla Firebird 0.6.Wheew!Oh, yeah, what's that other browser called? Whatever its name is, it's version 6 SP 1.I use Netscape 7.1 the most, but I sometimes use Opera 7.11 or Firebord 0.6. The rest I have mostly just around for testing purposes--even Lynx. Unforunately, only good sites look usable in there--those written with semantically correct (X)HTML (preferably a strict DOCTYPE)--not those that use FONT, TABLE, and other meaningless markup for which CSS should be used instead.I view my website in all of them. Navigator 4 to see how much it can manage to mangle my CSS, and Netscape 3 to see what it looks like in a CSS-less browser (not that I couldn't just set Opera to do that). Opera has some slight differences between 7.0x and 7.1x in CSS, so I have both just in case my CSS happens to be affected.Mozilla 1.4 and Netscape 7.1 are practically the same; I may get rid of Mozilla 1.0.2, since 1.4 and Netscape 7.1 are now the stable branch. I don't know how much CSS and other support differs betwen Mozilla 1.0 and 1.4, though, so I may keep both just for a while longer. But it's not like I expect it to ever mangle my page. :blink: As for that "other browser," I had version 3 on an old computer (first version with CSS support) but IERadicated it. Now it's Opera 7.11 on a nine-year old PC, and it's working great! I wish I did have older versions of this "other browser" around to test, though.Someone before mentioned Off by One; I once had that. If you need a very small, limited HTML-only browser, that's probably it. For general use, though, it's a a bit ... not useful. Sort of like Amaya, which I once had. Amaya's homepage rendered great, but no real sites. :P

brucekrymow
They're features that are implemented in the Tabbrowser Extensions...
Hi, Ryan ~Well, well, well! B) That alone will force me to set aside my biases and give 'er a go. What version to you suggest I install?

The 0.6 Milestone is good... Haven't been a lot of changes since then (were finishing Moz1.4), so that's probably where I'd start... Most of the recent nightlies (anything since 06/28) are pretty good too, but as I said, not a lot of change since the milestone...