OOps! Someone Stole my Init

havnblast

;) Well last time I was in PCLinux I did a system update thru the package manager :clap: and than rebooted to windows and now when I just tried to go back into PCLinux :w00t: Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found :( :icon8: so where did it go? :( Think I have been reading too many of Collins posts :P :P

Now Now Kelly :w00t: Times I forget a few things but COLLIN'S Moi :icon8: :P :clap: Me is Colin :( COLLIN'S is a DRINK :P And think I only lost the ability to boot into PCLos 1 time so you caught up with me :( Cheers for YearsColin ;)

:w00t: Yes you are correct on that, it is a drink by golly and one of my favorites too! Vodka Collins is good.No foolin you I can see :clap:

Do you remember what exactly you updated ? The last updates are these :http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=189015Looking at those it leads me to believe it might have something to do with KDE. Otherwise, did you change anything on the hardware side? :hmm:What's the output of:

fdisk -l

Which bootloader are you using?

Edited by striker

KellyThank you I'll ACCEPT the --->>>one of my favorites too! Vodka Collins is good.--->>> as A PERSONAL ALLEGORY" :clap: Cheers for yearsColin :w00t:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: No init found :P :clap: so where did it go? :w00t:
Hi Kelly . . . . . This usually means just one thing: re-install :(BUT . . . . . . there could be a tiny little chance we could fix it . . . . . . . but I have to warn you: the chances are minimal.First I would like to know: Were these the "regular¨ updates . . . I mean did you have the 9.3 source added maybe ?Second . . .can you boot the live CD, mount the PCLos partition and have a look in /boot . . . is there still a symlink called initrd.img and if so where does it point to. . . . . also here does the vmlinuz symlink point to ?? . . And what does the /etc/lilo.conf look like ?:( Bruno

no I didn't know how to add other links to the repository so they were just the stock links that came with the install of 9.2Everything was default as far as bootloader and what not.Well this really blows, is this a common thing for PCLinux? I just don't have time right now to even really look into it. Linux and their updates from my experience are nothing but a walking disaster. I've seen too many systems get hosed from doing a simple update.Thanks for the replies!

Well this really blows, is this a common thing for PCLinux? I just don't have time right now to even really look into it. Linux and their updates from my experience are nothing but a walking disaster. I've seen too many systems get hosed from doing a simple update.
Ahhh ... that's a kernel error from very early in the boot sequence. Maybe just a lilo failure caused this, not doing that last step for a new kernel that got added??? Not common, in my experience to have disasters with PCL updates; I have just recently added about 700mb of updates to my .92 install here, with really only one small problem, and that easily worked-around; an upgrade to a 2.6.13 i686 kernel apparently didn't do it's mkinitrd right, and I think that's where Bruno is going on your problem. Anyway, the previous kernel and initrd are surely still there -- fix the links and run lilo again.

Well, to be clear, I don't believe that the updates caused this "No init found" . . . . it is actually very rare that updates seriously mess up an install beyond repair. Small accidents do indeed sometimes happen ( that's why we test the updates before posting them on the forum and find a fix for them ) but kernel panic is not one of them.Also, because PCLos never does a kernel upgrade in the regular updates, so the possible faillure of mkinitrd can be excluded.So there must be something else what is to blame for this situation . . . . . now we can start guessing until our lips color green . . . but that seems a useless exercise to me.What we can do is have a quick look to see if all the relevant files for booting that system are in place, if that shows a potential problem we can fix it . . . BUT in case everything is in the right place I would suggest we simply re-install.:sweatingbullets: Bruno

dunno, but I didn't install anything new or make any changes cause I haven't been in linux mode lately. I saw there was updates for PCLinux so I rebooted to PCLinux and did the updates and rebooted about an hour after the updates were done. Ran windows for a couple days and than went to boot back up and poof. The only thing I had been trying to accomplish in PCLinux for the last month was to get Enemy Territory working and since I couldn't I've had to run it in windows. I hadn't done anything with ET in the last few weeks cause I was waiting for a reply on linuxquestions.org about PCLinux and ET working.It's impossible that I caused it since I was not making any system changes between reboots. The reboot after the update is when it failed. It shut down properly like normal. It even did a disk check about 2 reboots ago and everything was fine than. I have only been running PCLinux a few hours here and there since I can't get ET to work in it.A reinstall will probably have to do it since I really don't know what to do after I would boot it up with the livecd. I never keep anything that I need on my operating system partitions anyway. I just might go with a 64bit distro since I can't get ET to work anyway.

Edited by havnblast

Hey KellyYou just might want to boot your liveCd, open a terminal as root and type redo-lilo..follow the direction and reboot and see if that clears it up.

Kelly There is a tip on restoring your lilo. I had to restore mine after I installed vista yesterday. I simply booted with the live cd. Then I edited my lilo to reflect partition changes, chroot to the pclos / partition and ran lilo -v. That had me back in business. :)

Hi Kelly . . . . . This usually means just one thing: re-install :(BUT . . . . . . there could be a tiny little chance we could fix it . . . . . . . but I have to warn you: the chances are minimal.First I would like to know: Were these the "regular¨ updates . . . I mean did you have the 9.3 source added maybe ?Second . . .can you boot the live CD, mount the PCLos partition and have a look in /boot . . . is there still a symlink called initrd.img and if so where does it point to. . . . . also here does the vmlinuz symlink point to ?? . . And what does the /etc/lilo.conf look like ?:whistling: Bruno
the redo lilo tip didn't work :) in my /boot I have:config link ---> config-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBconfig-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBvmliuz link --> vmlinuz-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBvmlinuz-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBinitrd.img link --> initrd vmlinuz-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GB.imginitrd-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GB.imgkernel.h link --> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBkernel.h-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBsystem.map link --> System.map-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBSystem.map-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBthan there is a few others like livecd.klt, map, message link, message graphic, etcLilo
boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="pclinuxos"keytable=/boot/livecd.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GBlabel="pclinuxos"root=/dev/sdb7initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.12-oci6.mdk-i586-up-1GB.imgappend="noapic nolapic acpi=ht nomce psmouse.proto=imps splash=silent"vga=788read-onlyother=/dev/hda1label="WindowsXP"
Edited by havnblast

Hi Kelly . . . . all the things you posted do look 100% the way it is supposed to be . . . so there is not the cause of the kernel panic.The only thing there is left to do is re-install. Sorry.;) Bruno

I wonder why it did that. ;)
after so many reboots it automatically does it, think it is like every 20 reboots it auto runs a disk check

so the kernel just went AWOL and that is the end of story, wow.
I install kernels using synaptic, just did it last week and no problems what so ever!I also have more than one kernel installed, I noticed that you have only one kernel installed, why is that?If you installed a newer kernel you should have two kernels available to use. Synaptic doesn't delete the old kernel, it installs the new kernel beside the old one.

This is odd....I got a phone call from a friend yesterday asking me what a kernel panic: missing init meant, so I was reminded of this thread I'm going to head over to his house in the next day or so and see if I can turn anything up.

I had the same thing this morning. My partition table showed my /home as being a vfat partition. I could not recover from it. I am doing a reinstall tomorrow. I run unstalbe and experimental so it is hard telling what I did. It could be something to do with the .93 extensions as well.

Well, I got a call from the user, and he said that he let the computer take a nice long nap (several hours), and then brought it back up. for some reason, it is working fine now. :teehee: On the same note, this is the computer that has given us more than our share of problems already. Most of the problems appear to be hardware related, but we've not yet been able to determine which specific piece is broken.So it is working...... how, I do not know. :blink:Adam

well glad it wasn't just me :Dlike I stated earlier, I didn't do any changes to my system but the update and it happened. I've really been enjoying RR4 tho.

Something is evidently causing it. If we could just figure out what is causing it. I think Colin was the first to have problems with his paritions and wasn't him that was like me with the partition suddenly identified as the wrong type?

still going strong and smooth here as ever. :( Maybe I got lucky.Going over the previous post we have:1. the kernel panic: missing init2. partition recognized wrongMy questions now to think over:a. Did this happen after doing an update or is there no pattern with regard to updates?b. is there some sort of connection between 1 and 2 above in this specific case?I wonder what is causing this. Maybe aliens in the neighbourhood?

I don't know. I have to rule out a lot of unknowns because you know I like to live dangerously. I believe I had 93 unstable exp in my repository list so I was doing the latest and greatest of everything. I had just reconfigured KDE to my liking and added two kernels on the last round of updates. That sure leaves a lot of places to look in my case. I am back in at the moment and busily doing my updates right now. I am doing them in increments and just finished all the unstable updates and am finishing the 93 updates right now. We will see what we have tomorrow when I reboot. I did fix my partitions from a live CD. I found my /home intact but not my /. Go figure. If only it had been the other way around. :DPS.... I forgot to mention - I vote for aliens in the neighborhood. I have been seeing a lot of strange lights at night lately. They do resemble fireworks however. :(

For me it was what ever the default uses for everything. I didn't change repositories or anything like that
Here too, defaults only except I use special Canon printer drivers which - at pclos only - once installed, break one libpng file.When doing any updates, I smash out the canon drivers, reinstall the libpng file and get my updates.After they are installed, I reinstall the canon drivers and I'm back in.BTW:Deuce has a strange partition problem too,http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=191076 Edited by striker