Backup up XP Prof CD

nghump

:thumbsup: This may be an old question, if it is please direct me toward the resolution.I have purchase XP Professional. I want to backup the CD. There is one file that prevents me from making a viable copy. That file is BATANG.TT_. I can copy the entire CD except for this one file. Nero has identified this as a copyrighted file. My concern is that in repeatedly using this CD to load XP I may scratch it and have to purchase it again. I have actually loaded XP several times becuase I am trying to set a raid1 (mirrored) disk. I have not beem succesful as yet. Can someone direct me as to how I can make a useable backup of this CD?Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by nghump

nlinecomputers

Nero should copy the disk just fine. It will tell you that copying the disk for anything other then a backup is illegal but it should copy it just fine. I use backups off all my disks in shop just for that reason. The file you show is just a font file in compressed form. Are you sure your disk isn't already damaged or perhaps dirty. You can clean it with lint free cloth using cirular motions so that you don't scratch across the tracks.

You can clean it with lint free cloth using cirular motions so that you don't scratch across the tracks.

The advice I've always seen says, 'do NOT clean CDs using a circular motion.'http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bcd+clean...cular%22+motionEdited by Bob DietzAlso see more autoritive -National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST):Care and Handling of CDs and DVDs —A Guide for Librarians and Archivists (50 pg PDF) (1 pg PDF summary) Edited by rbdietz

James M. Fisher

I've never had a problem copying an XP disk (or any other disk for that matter). Are you doing a straight copy of the CD (the correct way), or are you copying the CD's files to your hard drive, then use burning software to create a CD (incorrect way)?