Any Opinions On Mepis?

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm considering wiping my Foresight Linux and installing something else. Foresight's pretty decent, but it's sort of "off the beaten" distro path. I know Mepis is Debian-based. I was just wondering if anyone here runs it or has tried it.Thanks,~Eric

I'm considering wiping my Foresight Linux and installing something else. Foresight's pretty decent, but it's sort of "off the beaten" distro path. I know Mepis is Debian-based. I was just wondering if anyone here runs it or has tried it.Thanks,~Eric
I was a fan of Mepis' previous versions except for their awful fonts. However, I've just downloaded their brand spanking new 6.5 version and I'm rapt to say they've worked hard to beautify their fonts. So far I've just used it live but I'll install it tomorrow and see how I go with it. If the new version is as good as previous versions I'd certainly recommend it.I'll also see whether you can add the gnome manager ( I know you prefer that) B)

I tried 6.0 "live"... and I liked it... err... "KDE liked" it. B) Ubuntu repos, "Automatixable" B) ... you'll feel "just like home" with it. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton
I tried 6.0 "live"... and I liked it... err... "KDE liked" it. B) Ubuntu repos, "Automatixable" B) ... you'll feel "just like home" with it. :hysterical:
Hmm... is it KDE-based by default? Will it run Gnome, Urmas?

Hmm... is it KDE-based by default? Will it run Gnome, Urmas?
Replacing KDM with GDMIf you prefer to use GDM (GNOME Display Manager) instead of KDM you can install GDM with a simple apt-get command:
apt-get install gdm

(This will take < 10 minutes to download on a dial-up connection.) When prompted, select GDM to be the default display manager. If you are after a full GNOME desktop environment (not just the login manager gdm) then use:

apt-get install gnome gnome-desktop-environment

(this will take a bit longer to download/install) Use Synaptic to install any other GNOME packages that don't get installed when using the above commands. You can of course use Synaptic/KPackage to do the above instead. Browse the GNOME packages available in Synaptic by selecting "Sections" (bottom left) then select "GNOME Desktop Environment"

( http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Rep...ng_KDM_with_GDM ) B)

V.T. Eric Layton
Yes, no, maybe... just remember, though: Mepis is definitely a "KDM distro". :)
So's Slack, but that hasn't stopped me from running Gnome there either. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, disk is burned, md5sum is OK... I'm goin' in. If you don't hear from me for a while, don't worry... I probably just accidentally reformatted my entire hard drive. OH! Please, NO! I'm just kidding about the reformat. :)

V.T. Eric Layton

Alrighty, I'm in Mepis using KDE. ARRRRRRRRRRRGH! KDE freaks me out. I'm going to attempt to install Gnome as per Urmas' instructions.Off I go...

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, I've been goofing around with Mepis all night tonight. Pretty COOL! I decided that I would use this distro to learn KDE. I installed the Gnome, but it was buggy as ****, causing me to reinstall the whole distro again. No big deal. It only take about 10 minutes.KDE is driving my nuts. I can't find out how to do things. I'm pulling my hair out. I'll catch on eventually. Is there a KDE book somewhere? Hmm... maybe I'll go visit KDE's website and snoop around.Having FUN!Later...~Eric

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, pretty much everything... I'm trying to get windows that I open to stay the same size when I reopen them. I'm trying to figure out Konquerer. I don't have the Drawer, like in Gnome, so I had to figure out how to set up an autohide side panel. Got that one done. :) And a few other miscellaneous things. I'm not going to learn it all in one night. I'll play around with it and figure things out as I go. Liking Mepis so far! :) When the new Slack version comes out, I might just stick with KDE for that too. :)

I'm trying to get windows that I open to stay the same size when I reopen them.
Right-click on the titlebar and choose "Advanced" --> "Special windows settings" ;):) Bruno

I'm getting the hang of it. :)
:) :) :) Ain't no rocket science... just takes some time to find out where the goodies are stashed. Using Gnome in Mandriva - not that it's buggy per se, mind you... it's just plain weird - I decided that I'll (mostly) stick to whatever desktop environment is... err... "right" in each distro.

V.T. Eric Layton
Right-click on the titlebar and choose "Advanced" --> "Special windows settings" ;):) Bruno
Absolutely wonderful!Now, how to I manually sort folders... and get them to stay that way? ;)Oh, and how can I get the clock to the right of the date?

V.T. Eric Layton
:) :) :) Ain't no rocket science... just takes some time to find out where the goodies are stashed. Using Gnome in Mandriva - not that it's buggy per se, mind you... it's just plain weird - I decided that I'll (mostly) stick to whatever desktop environment is... err... "right" in each distro.
That's strange. Gnome was fine for me in Mandriva. Oh well, it's about time I learned KDE, so I can be like the real Linux gurus. ;)________----------____-__--:)--_-________---____-_-_------_______------------------_____Here's a weird problem for you... my Thunderbird crashes in Mepis when I set it to play a sound. :( Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

Here's a weird problem for you... my Thunderbird crashes in Mepis when I set it to play a sound. :)
Hnn-nhh-mmghph? :) Have you tried with a "custom" sound file?______________________________________Oh... downloaded, baked... gave it a "live" try. Feels pleasant enough... Flash works... wincrapmedia streams work, too (at least "live", using Konqueror). Eric, can you try Cnn? And this? http://www.yle.fi/player/player.jsp?name=E...kisto%2F03580_1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Any sound file (mp3, wav, etc.) crashes the application. Strange. I guess something got corrupted when I copied my .mozilla-thunderbird directory from Ubuntu over to Mepis, maybe. I've done it three times now, though. No difference. It still crashes. I even removed/reinstalled TB in Mepis. It's probably some screwed up lib file somewhere. Oh well, I can live with no sound alert in TB for now.By the way, HERE is a screenshot of my Mepis w/ KDE. :)

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I played around with the KDE sound systems and got TB to stop crashing when I try to preview my custom wav alert sound. However, it still won't play the sound. :whistling:

Well, I played around with the KDE sound systems and got TB to stop crashing when I try to preview my custom wav alert sound. However, it still won't play the sound. ;)
I installed 6.5 this morning. I have never gotten TB to play a custom wav - all I here is SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!I just use the beep.Mepis seems good, but when I selected restart to go back to slack, it hung at a black screen for 15 minutes. I hit the reset on the case and started over.The biggest thing for me is that I am still on dial-up. These distros are not real good for me as far as downloading updates. For slackware, I download 'em at work and put them on a thumbdrive. Far easier than synaptic or yast. I'm not knocking these distros, just waiting for the county to get wireless broadband finished so that these things can be done a lot easier - and I can do more exploring!

V.T. Eric Layton

I hope you get your broadband as soon as possible. I don't know what I would do if I ever had to go back to dial-up. :(Oh, and I'm pretty sure the FF sound problem has something to do with my sound settings in Mepis, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've been too busy this weekend updating SuSE and reinstalling Mandriva. ;)

Eric the TB sound issue may by a kde related issue. With the new kde in pclos, I along with others haven't been able to get TB to make a peep. I use the mailbox alert extension to show a pop up when I receive a new message as a work around. Tommy

Edited by tommyj12

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I dunno. The custom sound works fine in KDE in Mandriva and Slack. *scratching head* ???