Mac Ibook

georgeg4

Guest LilBambi
Linux on PowerPC Macs: Debian Runs Nicely on a G3 iBook (lowendmac.com):
In the Windows world, even the most graphically intense flavors of Linux can add years of pep to the life of older hardware, and mini-distributions can revive relative octogenarians for a few more trips around the park. Maybe Linux can do something similar for our aging Macs.Having recently divested myself of many of my aging Macs, I was left with only one really viable candidate for testing purposes, a 700 MHz "iceBook" that I'd recently inherited. While it could run Mac OS 9.2.2 like a house afire, Mac OS X 10.3.9 was a little on the slow side with only 384 MB of RAM. I thought it was a perfect candidate for some sprucing up, so I set out to figure out how I could best bring this little beast into the modern era.
http://www.debian.org/DVD installer:http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.2.1/powerpc/iso-dvd/CD disks:http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.2.1/powerpc/iso-cd/I found that on my old PPC Mac when I had it, Debian was very nice.

Do you have a "powerPC" build of that distro you are trying to use? An iBook will not be running an x86 processor.Adam
I am not very good with Mac so here is what I know The distro is Ubuntu 11.04 i386 32 bit versionte Mac I book is Mac os x version 10.3.9700 mhz Power PC G3Problem is I downloaded the ISO and it is on the desktop but when I try to run the auto run I get a window that pops up saying There is no application specified to open the document "autorun.inf"then choose applicationwhen I try to find the application installer it will not load

I think I crossposted with you Bambi and I will try Debian but I do believe that i will still have the same proibem installing it

You cannot install any i386 or i686 distro on an iBook. Your iBook has a PowerPC processir. You will need a powerPC compiled distro so it can run on your hardware. If you see i386 or i686 in the name of the ISO you are downloading, you will not be able to run it on the iBook.Adam

UPDATEI downloaded debian for the power pc but I still cant load it as I stated in my first post the HD is compromised many of the defauls Apps are missing along with installer and grab .Does anyone have a restore or rescue cd for ibook , or know where to get one

Adam I cant boot from the cd when I start up and hold down Control-C it still boots up normal , With Alt - Option I get the boot menu but it will not change from the Macintosh HD and when I do boot up normally and try to change it from System Prefefrnces the only changes shown are the HDD and Network start-up .BTW I do not have the start-up disc for OS 10 , I acquired the ibook second hand and nothing came with it .

Edited by georgeg4

How are you burning the disc? It sounds like the iBook is not recognizing that the CD is bootable.Make sure you are burning the disc using the "Burn ISO" or Burn CD image" option, else the disc will not boot at all.Adam

How are you burning the disc? It sounds like the iBook is not recognizing that the CD is bootable.Make sure you are burning the disc using the "Burn ISO" or Burn CD image" option, else the disc will not boot at all.Adam
I am burning the iso on my PC with K3B Edited by georgeg4

Guest LilBambi

Also, I would think you would need to know exactly what model iBook you have.Some were G3, some where G4 - which means some came with CD, some came with DVD.You can find your iBook model's specifications here.Since you are new to the Mac, Here's a great Q&A on iBooks as well from the same place, EveryMac.com.