packer prompts for sudo password

saturnian

Hm. I'm thinking maybe I should stop using packer in Arch...

I went to pull in updates today and saw something I've never seen before:

$ packer -Syu
[sudo] password for steve:

Before today, this is what I had been seeing:

$ packer -Syu
root Password: 

Now, when I get the sudo prompt, if I enter my user password I'm then asked for the root password, and then things proceed normally.

If I press Enter instead of providing my user password at the sudo prompt, I get the sudo prompt again. So I press Enter again, and get the the sudo prompt again. I do this a third time, and then I get the root prompt! So I enter the root password, and things proceed normally:

$ packer -Syu
root Password:
:: Synchronizing package databases...

Not sure what's going on here, but this doesn't seem right. I think packer is broken (???).

securitybreach

As far as I know packer has always asked for the user sudo password but something could of changed with your /etc/sudoers file as well, which would cause that.

Personally I have been using pacaur for years without any issues and it only uses the root password (well besides when it runs makepkg).

securitybreach

Of course, it depends on how your /etc/sudoers is setup as I have mine set to ask for the root password when I or an app invokes sudo:

oFEuP1f.png

This is so weird, because I've been updating with packer the same way all along, but I haven't seen that sudo prompt before.

Well, back when I was kinda new to Arch I was getting root access with su and then running packer -Syu, but someone here corrected me on that, and since then I've been running packer -Syu as normal user and then entering the root password when prompted for it.

I really don't even use sudo in Arch.

My /etc/sudoers file was last modified 4-10-16.

Prior to today, I last updated my Arch installation on 7-19-16. I didn't get the sudo prompt then. In /var/log/pacman.log I see:

[2016-07-19 17:45] [ALPM] upgraded fakeroot (1.20.2-1 -> 1.21-1)

Oh, and:

[2016-07-19 17:46] [ALPM] upgraded sudo (1.8.16-1 -> 1.8.17.p1-1)

Hm...

Oh, and I have only one AUR package installed, by the way:

# pacman -Qm
packer 20160325-1

I guess in my case I probably have no need for packer or any other AUR helper...

• Like 1

securitybreach

# pacman -Qm
packer 20160325-1

I guess in my case I probably have no need for packer or any other AUR helper...

If that the case, you do not need an AUR helper.