Probelm with Linux Mint 18.3

jolphil

Hi all.

A few days ago I came across a HP-Pavillion-TS-Sleekbook-15 laptop. It was dead and was discarted by the owner. Nothing more than the AC power adaptor had a broken wire where it plugs into the computer.A quick solder repair took care of that issue.The previous operating system booted into the login screen(Windows 8.1). I did not want to break into someone elses files or data so I decided to wipe the HD clean and install Linux Mint 64 18.3. The install went perfect . During the Linux boot,I was informed the Battery was defective(not just uncharged but defective). Anyway I removed the battery and run the computer from the AC charger.I loaded various games and software and was going to give it to my daughterinlaw. After a week or so of testing all went fine so I decided to purcase a new battery.The battery was plugged in and charged to 100%. The system worked correctly, booted various times with no prpblems. I shut off the computer and pulled out the AC charger and tuned on the laptop,it got to the logon screen then froze.No mouse, no keyboard,no nothing.Had to hold the power button to shut off the hard freeze.The last day or so i determined that as long as the AC power was plugged in,the computer worked perfectly.But if you booted the computer then removed the AC adapter plug,it would soon hard freeze. No setting of the power monitor for the battery settings made any difference in this issue.My guess the battery is not defective but it is a software bug somewhere that is causing the problem.I googled but did not find a specific similar example.

Has anyone ever run across something like this? This is a first for me.

Thank you

Jolphil

securitybreach

Sorry, I deal with hundreds of HP laptops (business class models) at work and I have not heard of this behavior before. That doesn't mean that it isn't a bug but I haven't ran across it before.

It sounds like an acpi issue. can't help but wonder if the installation didn't "see" a battery/hardware because it was completely dead (or missing?), so it didn't install something, or installed an incorrect version. Now that a working battery is available, and fully charged, pulling the AC cable allows the battery to kick in, but a missing/incorrect battery firmware just hiccups the system and freezes? Is that even possible?

I think I'd reinstall LM to see if that addresses the issue (with a 100% charged battery in place). If not, I think SBs advice is solid. You've got to determine whether this is a hardware or software issue, and software is easier (IMO), especially with live distros available.

The other thing I'm mulling is that the clipped/crimped cable you fixed has already corrupted the motherboard/charge circuit in a way we cannot see. But your battery charges, so maybe it charges, but reports incorrectly. Which takes me back to acpi. And FWIW, wouldn't surprise me if you had a 2-tiered error. Those are very difficult to troubleshoot...sometimes it is better to be "lucky" than "good." Here's wishing you some "lucky"!

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 1

I run Linux Mint 18.3 and I also have an HP Sleekbook ca 2012. Unfortunately the two don't coincide. I have not seen the battery issue with my Sleekbook which runs MX-16 Linux very well so that might be a good live distro to try out. MX-16 does not use systemd so it will differ from Linux Mint. If you want to try out a good live alternative that does use systemd I might suggest Ubuntu MATE.

Thank Folks for the suggestions and comments. I have done a bit more reading and found others with a similar problem. One dates back to Ubuntu,and it does indeed point to an acpi issue.Hedon James leans to my own thought process(sush as it is). Since I have invested many days or loading and tweaking packages,I am going to try to resolve it if possible. One of the links I will look into is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/656745/ .

I will get back to you all if sucessful.

Thank you all and have a Happy Holiday Season.

jolphil

• Like 1

securitybreach

Thank Folks for the suggestions and comments. I have done a bit more reading and found others with a similar problem. One dates back to Ubuntu,and it does indeed point to an acpi issue.Hedon James leans to my own thought process(sush as it is). Since I have invested many days or loading and tweaking packages,I am going to try to resolve it if possible. One of the links I will look into is https://bugs.launchp...ux/ bug/656745/ .

I will get back to you all if sucessful.

Thank you all and have a Happy Holiday Season.

jolphil

Great, let us know if you need any assistance.

Just a quick update:As per the previous link,I downloaded and installed" laptop-mode-tools" . Without doing the file editing,I decided to test the laptop as is,and so far it is working without freezing.

I will keep you posted if something new pops up..

jolphil :clap:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Just a quick update:As per the previous link,I downloaded and installed" laptop-mode-tools" . Without doing the file editing,I decided to test the laptop as is,and so far it is working without freezing.

I will keep you posted if something new pops up..

jolphil :clap:

Excellent, hopefully that fixed it :thumbsup: