Problems installing Suse 10 RC1

réjean

Hi all!I have been trying to install Suse 10 RC1 for the last 2 hours without any luck so far. I did a media check and the first installation Cd is supposed to be fine. I can go as far as YAST and I am told that dev/hda5 (486.3 MB) for Swap and dev/hda10 (9.5 GB) for / with reiserfs will be formatted. Then there is a Evaluating package selection and nothing really happens for a good 20 except for the CD-ROM spinning for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so. Under Software and Language there is a message " analysing your system" which is grey out.I tried updating instead of New installation ( which I tried at least 4 times) and when it comes to the package selection I am told there are some conflicts and I have to do some changes manually.The problem over all is that whichever (new install or update) I don't seem to be able to make any changes. If I click on Partitioning and then on change all I get is the list; partitionning, software or language but I cannot change them.Any clues? I am letting the machine run the installation for awhile hoping something will finally happens.Thanks in advance!Love you all!Réjean

Ok! Here is what I am going to do; use Mandriva and format the Suse partition and see if I can install. I keep getting this message about conflicting dependencies but first I am told that the partition will be formatted so I just don't get it.

If you do an update, SUSE compares the new packages with the ones already installed and keeps the settings whenever possible. Where it asks you for help is where you have packages installed that it doesn't recognize. That's not uncommon. But it should pop up some questions asking you to remove certain packages from the install (or existing already) or force things. If it doesn't do that something's probably wrong. Not sure what's going on though since you said it did the verification OK. You may have found a serious bug. Would you be able to submit it using another OS?

Well well well!Guess what? I decided to reinstall Suse 9.3 ( which I had thought of doing last week but since Suse RC1 was around the corner I decided to wait ). After installing the first 4 CDs ( don't think I need #5 ) it checked and found my network card. It told me it didn't detect a DSL connection but since that broadband modem is on the Win machine maybe it is normal. It then checked my connections and managed to go online and look for updates. The result was:SUCCESS. I opted for the upgrades which it is now doing; Applying the Deltas.So I guess when it is done I will reboot to finish the installs then I will go into PCLos and do the following, right?

#rm -rf /boot/suse#mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10#cp -r /mnt/hda10/boot /boot/suse#ls -al /boot/suse

Then in the output of the last command I will check the number of vmlinuz and initrd and adapt them in /etc/lilo.conf using vi. After that I will do a "/sbin/lilo".Isn't what should be done?

#rm -rf /boot/suse#mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10#cp -r /mnt/hda10/boot /boot/suse#ls -al /boot/suse

Then in the output of the last command I will check the number of vmlinuz and initrd and adapt them in /etc/lilo.conf using vi. After that I will do a "/sbin/lilo".Isn't what should be done?

Uhmmm... you've lost me. What is that code section about??? I *think* all you'll need to do is to edit the /etc/lilo.conf on the PcLos install, to include pointers to where the Suse install is located, and then run lilo [all done from having booted into PcLos]. I'm not aware of any need to copy the Suse /boot tree to anywhere else, or why you'd have put [the previous version] inside your PcLos distro in the first place? You should probably read through the /boot/grub/menu.lst file on the Suse install, to see what parms Suse thinks are necessary to pass to the kernel at boot time. It is a slightly different format from lilo.conf, but the named parts are the same.

I am in BIG trouble. First of all I thought I had installed Suse on my dev/hda10 partition but in reality it got installed on my dev/hda1 partition ( where PCLos resided). So I lost PCLos!!! B) Then of course SuSE Grub grabbed the MBR and doesn't want to let go of it. I tried booting into Mandriva using a Mandrake 10.1 install CD and did a /sbin/lilo at least 4 times ( supposedly everything is fine because it says "Added linux*, added PClos*, etc." without any error message ) and each time when I reboot I get the SuSE boot loader (Grub). The other thing about Mandriva is that it doesn't want to go on the internet.If I let Suse boot I see the initializing hardware, starting system and starting devices but then the screen goes black ( same thing when I am in verbose; everything looks fine, lots of done but then the screen goes black). I tried booting in text mode (Suse 9.3 failsafe) logged in as root and tried "startx" but then again the screen goes black. I could be having some problems with my graphic card because I used my Xandros CD, hoping to do a /sbin/lilo but it too goes black. The strange thing is that Mandriva has no problem with the graphic card.So to recap;no graphic in Suse or Xandrosno inrternet in Mandriva but some graphicsno PCLos anymoreand I tried going into Kubuntu using the install CD but all it wants to do is to install itself. I'll try running a few Live CDs (like knoppix, ATL or Mepis and see what happens. In the meantime if someone has an idea about getting some graphics in Suse or gettting a /sbin/lilo to work, or getting the internet in Mandriva I would really, really, really appreciate it.Love you all,Réjean

If PCLos is your favored distro, why not install it on another partition and then we can go back and reconfigure your Lilo after you let PCLos write to the mbr?

Hi Julia!That's exactely what I was thinking of doing and actually doing it right now. B) I should have listened to Bruno's advice when he said to NEVER delete a partition. I was trying and trying during the Suse 10 RC1 install to change the partitions hda9 and 10 ( It kept wanting to install an extra Swap partition ). Anyway I might be in for another trouble. I used the PCLos partitioning device and formatted the /dev/hda9 and /dev/hda10 and it seems that it is now installing on /dev/hda1 ( which is alright even if it replaces Suse 9.3 since I don't seem to be able to get working in graphic mode. I'll try again another time).