Mozilla Firefox Version 37 Released

Corrine

Mozilla sent Firefox Version 37.0 to the release channel. The update does not include any security fixes. See correction reply posted below.

A major addition included in the browser is called Heartbeat, described as User Voice in Firefox. Essentially, it is a user rating system. Heartbeat will appear randomly requesting a rating:

Heartbeatflow1.png

which may be followed by an "Engagement" request:

Heartbeatflow2.png

Personally, this seems like a whole lot of nonsense to me and a wasted effort on the part of Mozilla.org to increase its following. It is nonsense like that that convinces me further that I made the right decision to switch to Pale Moon.

If you do not wish to allow Heartbeat, it can be disabled as follows:

1. Open about:config
  2. Click "I'll be careful, I promise!" when presented with the warning.
  3. Type selfsupport in the search box
  4. Set browser.selfsupport.url to ""

Additional information about the update is available in the Mozilla Firefox Release Notes

• Like 1

ESR has also updated to 31.6.0; thankfully without the Hearbeat junk.

I followed Corrine's instructions to disable "Heartbeat"; with all my warnings to my mother about popups when she's online, that stuff from FF would freak her out completely.
  • Like 1

I wasn't able to update until today. The "official explanation" is that Version 37.0 was withdrawn from the release channel due to users experiencing start-up crashes with certain graphics hardware and third party software. Version 37.0.1 has been released to fix that issue as well as disabling HTTP/2 AltSvc and including one (1) critical and one (1) high security update.

Release Notes

• Like 1

I'm sorry I updated today . LOst all bookmarks... Crashes when starting to buffer You Tube videos

Wish I knew how to undo this update

Guest LilBambi

For future reference, go to Bookmarks Manager and backup the .json file before upgrades. I always do ... learned that lesson a long time ago with Firefox.

Thank you for that lady. I was slowly grinding my way through my favourite sites b/mk ing each one as it opened .

You sure have saved me a lot of time wasting trouble .

You are a star