abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 10 June 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Scrooge!

https://youtu.be/Dkq7WZTzkLQ

Edited by abarbarian, 10 June 2017 - 03:42 PM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#103 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Albert Finney was good, but my favorite version of Dickens' A Christmas Story is the American version with George C. Scott as Scrooge. :)

#104 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 10 June 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Albert Finney was good, but my favorite version of Dickens' A Christmas Story is the American version with George C. Scott as Scrooge. :)

Scott was a better Scrouge, not that Finney was bad. Personally I find that the original movie is always the best with the odd remake being on a parr and the very odd one being better. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#105 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

The main difference between the Finney version and the Scott version was that Finney's was more of a light-hearted musical. Scott's was darker and more serious... closer to the actual Dickens' story.

#106 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 11 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

The main difference between the Finney version and the Scott version was that Finney's was more of a light-hearted musical. Scott's was darker and more serious... closer to the actual Dickens' story.

Never seen the Scott version but if you want "darker and more serious" the 1951 version with Aliastair Sim is great,

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is a colourised version but the b+w is better in my opinion. The original 1913/35 version is well worth a looksee too.
An if you ever get to the uk then this would be a nice addition to the bucket list of places to visit,

Posted Image

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#107 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,224 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I've seen that B&W Sim version. It was good, too. :)

#108 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Count me in as a fan of the 1951 version but not in color. It just doesn't look right to me.
And for sheer mayhem nothing can beat "Scrooged" from 1988 with Bill Murray.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#109 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Animated wallpaper project.

So I had a tad more fun with the old Window Maker. I wanted to see if I could have a Gif running as my wallpaper that would allow me to use the desktop as normal.
Here is my first try,

https://www.dropbox....sicle.mkv?dl=0

seems that folk thought the result was a tad unsettling. I can not see why. The result was not quite perfect so I had a think and came up with a slightly better solution. Here is the result,

https://www.dropbox....ytest.mkv?dl=0

A much better outcome and possibly a better (more relaxing) image. Still not perfected the technique as while the gif background survives me restarting Window Maker from its drop down menu option, it does not survive exiting and restarting. I am positive that I can accomplish this though with some experimentation  and fiddling of the Window Maker startup file. Also whilst I have managed to resize the gif I found it is not a perfect fit, this hurdle I think I could overcome. I may spend my time looking at creating my own full size gif, it would be nice to use one of my own pictures and I may be able to create one that uses a few less cpu cycles too. We'll have to see.

Enjoy

Ooooooooooooo ain't linux fun. :yes:
Install ARCH

#110 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Animated desktop project.

Ok I have done some more testing and have almost got things sorted. Resizing gifs is difficult if you want to get the exact size and I have been using ImageMagick with some sucess.

Here is a third tryout. I chose the subject as it occurred to me that folk might have forgotten how to, :lol:

https://www.dropbox....etest.mkv?dl=0

In this last effort below I have nearly got the gif size correct but there is a thin line at the bottom of the screen. This is not a big deal as I can cover it with icons. If you follow the link, you will need a little patience as the full effect takes a second or two to reveal itself. Below is a screenshot, static of course :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Making the animated wallpaper have persistence to survive a reboot was fairly trivial and I now have a full screen (gif needs a tad more tweaking) animated wallpaper appearing when I switch on the pc. This gives me with a fully functional desktop which with the gif chosen uses about the same cpu as running FireFox with one tab open. I can close the xtrem running the wallpaper and I get a static screen from where the animation stops, this uses slightly less cpu. from there it is one click to refresh Window Maker and this drops me back to a normal themed desktop which uses even less cpu. So I can have the best of both worlds with just a click or two.

Here is the final offering in the test series. (warning:this can be unsettling for those of a nervous disposition) :hysterical:

https://www.dropbox....estest.mkv?dl=0

Enjoy.

P.S. I am hoping to make a vokoscreen tutorial for this project. I need to refine the gif resizing and find me microphone first though.

Long live Window Maker.

Edited by abarbarian, 17 June 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Install ARCH

#111 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Very cool :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#112 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Here is a site with some themes that still work today. I tried out Rivendell and Tree beard.

http://members.home....riessen/themes/

More themes here but I have not tested any of them,

http://lonelymachine...owmaker-themes/

Raising the dead inch by inch.
Long live Window Maker ;-)

Posted Image

:pirate:
Install ARCH

#113 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Looks great man :thumbsup:

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#114 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:37 AM

TIP - Shutdown pc

There are several ways to shutdown your pc when using Window Maker.

You can close Window Maker from the menu and power off via the command line.

You can use a dock-app like "wmshutdown" available for Arch at the AUR. This is quite neat as you shutdown from within Window maker.

https://aur.archlinu...ges/wmshutdown/

On an Arch system you can use the middle click feature available on icons on the dock utilising systemd. If you have the pc set up with polkit configured you can simply add " systemctl poweroff " to the middle click box on any icon.

https://wiki.archlin...ers_to_shutdown

Posted Image

One thing to watch out for if using the above is that Window Maker by default will not let you use the middle click feature if the icon is already used by a running program. When I used this method I added the shutdown command to my keepassxc icon as I always close that program before powering down.
There is a way to utilise the middle click feature even if the icon is used by a running program I will include that information in another tip at some time.

I am sure that there must be more ways to shutdown or re-boot your pc from WIndow Maker so if anyone has any other method maybe they would be kind enough to share here.

Enjoy.

Posted Image
Install ARCH

#115 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:11 AM

TIP -- Change Docked Icon Behaviour

Window Maker has a few quirks in its behaviour. If you add a program icon to the dock and change the programs default icon to one of your own when you open the program the dock icon changes back to the default icon for the program. Close the program and you get your own chosen icon back. Also when you minimise the program you get the default icon showing rather than your own.
This can be useful as you can keep track off all opened programs.
However I like my icons to look the way I have set them up all the time. After all I spent some time tracking down groovy icons and I want to see them displayed all the time.

I'll show you how to do this with REMIND. Remind is a command line program but does have a GUI  and the program is called TKRemind which seems to behave a little differently to some other programs I have tried. This means there is one little step at the beginning of the guide to follow that you would normally not need.

Open tkremind from the RUN box and miniaturise.

Posted Image

I get a generic icon and a generic mini window in the holding area, they are the two on the bottom right.

Posted Image

With most programs you would get a default icon showing straight away when you open one up from the RUN box and when you docked the icon you would not see a pop up box.

Drag the icon to the dock and a pop up opens.

Complete instruction and close ,you will see that the icon has changed from a generic to the TKRemind issued one.

Posted Image

Right click icon on dock, tick LOCK box , and also START WITH WINDOW MAKER box if required.

Posted Image

Open the miniaturised TKRemind > right click title bar and choose ATTRIBUTES > ADVANCED OPTIONS tick EMULATE APPLICATION ICON.

Posted Image

ICON AND INITIAL WORKSPACE tick IGNORE CLIENT SUPPLIED ICON , choose an icon image OK > SAVE then APPLY.

Posted Image

Miniaturise TKRemind > you should see the new icon graphic both in the dock and on the miniaturised icon. Re-start Window Maker from the menu just to see if the changes stay effective.

Enjoy.

Long Live Window Maker.

Posted Image
Install ARCH

#116 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

TIP -- Manual Menu Entry

I am still finding out how Window Maker does things so there may be other ways to accomplish this task. For this exercise I am using TKRemind.
I normally use icons or the RUN feature and do not bother with the menu but as I am training to be a Window Maker ninja I thought I should be familiar with every facet of this wonderful program.

Open WPrefs > Applications Menu Definition > add RUN PROGRAM to the correct applications menu > I used EDITORS > follow instructions ie: add "tkremind" in the white box PROGRAM TO RUN > SAVE.

Posted Image

Open your file manager and find > GNUstep > Defaults > then open WMRootMenu > I used EDITORS so find the entry RUN PROGRAM and alter it to TKreind > SAVE and CLOSE.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now open the MENU and you will see the entry 'Run Program' has changed to 'TKremind'. Click on this to open the program just to check that it works.

Posted Image

Simple enough ain't it.

Enjoy.

Long Live Window Maker. :clap:

Edited by abarbarian, 12 August 2017 - 06:27 AM.

Install ARCH

#117 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

Wow! Nice tutorial! :thumbsup:

#118 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 12 August 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Wow! Nice tutorial! :thumbsup:

Ta.

I wonder if any one will ever use the tips. I seem to be almost the only active user of Window Maker in the whole world. Mind you I recon other folk are using it but are too busy living a life. :breakfast:

Just noticed I am giving away secrets of my personal life, guess I should have set TKRemind to a different date. :228823:
Install ARCH

#119 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Hey, at least the developer is still working on it :)

#120 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 12 August 2017 - 11:37 AM, said:

Hey, at least the developer is still working on it :)

I hope he is a lot younger than me an keeps his enthusiasm going for it till I pop me clogs. :Laughing:
Install ARCH

#121 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Well Alfredo Kojima developed it but there is not much out there on him besides that he works for Oracle:

https://en.wikipedia...w_Maker#History
https://www.linkedin.../alfredokojima/
https://www.percona..../alfredo-kojima

#122 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:47 AM

I finally made a Arch package and it runs. At the moment it is just for use on my pc as it has some slight glitches and when I made the package it threw up some errors in the build.

I found a site that has quite a few Dock Apps for Window Maker and this is one that I found quite attractive,

http://freecode.com/projects/wmbday

Posted Image

Neat looking dock app that was conceived in 2003. All the links from above were dead and I thought I had hit a brick wall but I persevered and google came to the rescue as I found a Slack build,

http://www.mirrorser...1/misc/wmbday/

Alas when I first investigated my find I could not see any way to get source file. I turned again to google and found this,

https://packages.alt...6/srpms/wmbday

Now I spent some time trying to unpack the .rpm before I noticed that there was a source file that I could download here,

https://packages.alt.../wmbday/sources

this is the file I used for my build, I am still trying to work out if the source contains the patches found here,

https://packages.alt...wmbday/patches

or if the patches were added to the .rpm.  I have tried to inspect all the files both in the patches and the source but can not decide if the source has been patched. I think it has but am not 100% sure.

I did look again at the Slack build and found by looking in the file,
wmbday.info                                2014-06-23 02:29  317  

that there was a link to the source file used in the Slack build to be found here,

http://ftp.nsysu.edu...ay-0.3.1.tar.gz

So I have a working dock app from 2003 that I have made a Arch package for installed on my pc. I intend rebuilding the package and seeing if I can chase down the errors. If I can and also work out what the small glitch is and fix it then I may rebuild again and produce a proper PKGBUILD and submit it to the AUR.

Posted Image :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#123 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Wow, very nice!! Great job man :thumbup:

#124 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I know you are all eager to see my Dock Apps in full animated mode, screenshots just do not hit the spot. So I called upon the awesome power of ffmpeg to convert a vokoscreen movie to a gif so that you could appreciate the graphical delights of Window maker.
I found this guide,

https://davidwalsh.n...nvert-video-gif

Altered the commands to suit and ran them in a terminal. Now I know you are really interested to see what the terminal output was so here it is,

[longship@14:38:13 Vokoscreen]$ ffmpeg -i vokoscreen-2017-08-31_14-28-11.mkv -b 2048k dockapp1.gif
ffmpeg version 3.3.3 Copyright (c) 2000-2017 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 7.1.1 (GCC) 20170630
configuration: --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-static --disable-stripping --enable-avisynth --enable-avresample --enable-fontconfig --enable-gmp --enable-gnutls --enable-gpl --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgsm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore_amrnb --enable-libopencore_amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libv4l2 --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxcb --enable-libxvid --enable-shared --enable-version3
libavutil 55. 58.100 / 55. 58.100
libavcodec 57. 89.100 / 57. 89.100
libavformat 57. 71.100 / 57. 71.100
libavdevice 57. 6.100 / 57. 6.100
libavfilter 6. 82.100 / 6. 82.100
libavresample 3. 5. 0 / 3. 5. 0
libswscale 4. 6.100 / 4. 6.100
libswresample 2. 7.100 / 2. 7.100
libpostproc 54. 5.100 / 54. 5.100
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'vokoscreen-2017-08-31_14-28-11.mkv':
Metadata:
ENCODER : Lavf57.71.100
Duration: 00:00:30.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 313 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High), yuv420p(progressive), 1298x156, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
Metadata:
ENCODER : Lavc57.89.100 libx264
DURATION : 00:00:30.583000000
Stream #0:1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16p, 128 kb/s (default)
Metadata:
ENCODER : Lavc57.89.100 libmp3lame
DURATION : 00:00:29.879000000
Please use -b:a or -b:v, -b is ambiguous
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (h264 (native) -> gif (native))
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[swscaler @ 0x8f413a7660] No accelerated colorspace conversion found from yuv420p to bgr8.
Output #0, gif, to 'dockapp1.gif':
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf57.71.100
Stream #0:0: Video: gif, bgr8, 1298x156, q=2-31, 2048 kb/s, 25 fps, 100 tbn, 25 tbc (default)
Metadata:
DURATION : 00:00:30.583000000
encoder : Lavc57.89.100 gif
Past duration 0.999992 too large
frame= 430 fps=0.0 q=-0.0 size= 1878kB time=00:00:17.25 bitrate= 891.7kbits/frame= 749 fps=747 q=-0.0 size= 3282kB time=00:00:30.01 bitrate= 895.9kbits/frame= 763 fps=748 q=-0.0 Lsize= 3372kB time=00:00:30.57 bitrate= 903.7kbits/s speed= 30x
video:3365kB audio:0kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.200363%
[longship@14:42:15 Vokoscreen]$ 

Phew that is some complicated stuff. Here is what it produced. Watch and weep at the sheer beauty of Window Maker.

Posted Image

You really really really do need to click the picture to appreciate the glory though.

:pirate:

Edited by abarbarian, 31 August 2017 - 10:23 AM.

Install ARCH

#125 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,103 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Looks nice but all that movement would drive me nuts...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: window manager, window maker, arch, docker, dock, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users