• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:56 AM

Greg, it sounds like you came across some good deals!! Also, thats pretty cool you got a p4 3.0ghz for free :rolleyes:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#52 OFFLINE   Urmas

Urmas

GUI Penguin

• Forum Moderators
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

View Postabarbarian, on Sep 17 2010, 11:28 PM, said:

aBarbarians wear aShirts? :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#53 OFFLINE   Frank Golden

Frank Golden

Migrant Nuclear Worker

• Forum MVP
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:22 AM

View Postcybormoron, on Jul 2 2010, 05:08 PM, said:

hi folks...just thought i'd drop in and say howdy do. howdy do! for the past few weeks i've been pressing my nose to the grindstone trying to clean up and organize my computer. it's really an unorganized, messy, eight year collection of files and quite a daunting task going through thousands upon thousands of files and hundreds of cd/dvd's but i'm making good progress. i've had to actually pull the plug on the internet so i could stay focused. i'm doing so well that i thought i'd come up for air and post something. here's an oldie i found.let me explain what's going on in the pic. this is my dual monitor setup in the corner of the basement. i've since replaced one of the screens with a wide screen. the time is 2:00, most likely AM. i sit here sideways with my feet propped up and my right arm on the desk. the mouse is elevated to reduce wrist strain. this works so well that i can sit for hours without moving. sometimes i just doze off for a half hour or so. i've had to learn to keep my hand off the mouse if i do fall asleep lest i click something i don't want to. the keyboard is in an awkward place but i couldn't type anyway so i got by with one finger hunt and peck. i've since found a stand for the mouse so i could move the keyboard directly underneath. my typing has improved somewhat. i use two fingers now. notice the be-boppa-rebop rhubarb pie.Posted Image
I like the Windows 98 SE book. Looks like you are up to date. :rolleyes:
Frank Golden

Acer Aspire as5672WLMi, Core 2 Duo Merom (T7200/2.0 GHz) Centrino, 500 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm (SATA) HDD,   4 GB Corsair DDR2-PC5300 ram, ATi Radeon X1400 (128 MB built-in vram/384 MB system ram),
Win 7 Home Premium | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS  & Ultimate Edition 2.8 | Mandriva 2010.2 Gnome | PCLinuxOS 2010 Gnome & KDE ]
Registered Linux User #423741
Registered Ubuntu User # 6235

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"-Arthur C. Clarke

#54 OFFLINE   Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Nocturnal Radio Geek

• Forum MVP
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:57 AM

View Postcybormoron, on Jul 2 2010, 10:05 PM, said:

i see ye be flying the jolly roger. i have a huge folder full of jolly images.  ;)  nice setup.
I haven't read to the end of this 3 page thread yet, but just a jolly roger comment- International Talk Like a Pirate Day falls on Sunday this year, always on Sep 19th. Arrrrr! Aye, me hearties. Shiver me timbers, etc. :P  :rolleyes:

Edited by Cluttermagnet, 20 September 2010 - 03:47 AM.

Special Limited Edition Cluttermaster 2007 with direct air cooling system.
"ClutterLabs" --open hardware for open software" .......... Registered Linux User 446867

("It takes an entire village to raise a child...")
"It takes only one bulldozer to raze an entire village..."
"Hey, Mel- isn't that your kid driving that bulldozer?"

In loving memory of Bruno Knaapen of Amsterdam, who shared
his love of Linux, and thereby made the world a better place...

#55 OFFLINE   trigggl

trigggl

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Sep 17 2010, 11:56 PM, said:

Greg, it sounds like you came across some good deals!! Also, thats pretty cool you got a p4 3.0ghz for free :rolleyes:
The promised pic.  The LG shine doesn't like low light I guess.Posted ImageThe monitor was also free.  You gotta love that.  :P

Edited by trigggl, 18 September 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Greg

#56 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

View Posttrigggl, on Sep 18 2010, 10:50 AM, said:

The promised pic.  The LG shine doesn't like low light I guess.The monitor was also free.  You gotta love that.  :thumbsup:
Looks nice and neat Greg!!!

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#57 OFFLINE   BillD

BillD

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . . Bill
Register Linux User # 412551

#58 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

View PostBillD, on Sep 19 2010, 12:53 PM, said:

I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . . Bill
I feel the same way.  :thumbsup:

#59 OFFLINE   trigggl

trigggl

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

View PostBillD, on Sep 19 2010, 11:53 AM, said:

I don't understand how you guys stand having the monitor off to one side; I want the monitor right in front of the keyboard so I can see it comfortably as I type without having to twist my neck . . .
You'll have to ask my wife that question.  I like mine front and center and at eye level.
Greg

#60 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:19 PM

View PostUrmas, on Sep 18 2010, 02:55 AM, said:

aBarbarians wear aShirts? :hysterical:
Yup  :D
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#61 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on Sep 18 2010, 12:52 AM, said:

Thats pretty cool you have a lamp hanging upside down :thumbsup:Looks nice.  BTW, what is that white "box" with the blue on the front under your clothes and next to your powerstrip?
White box is a pc speaker sat on top of pc number two that connects to the 17" monitor under the green cloth.The lamp came out of a skip. I have low ceilings and the lamp cable goes to a ceiling rose that used to have a lamp socket but with a bulb in it was too low hence the lamp. The ides for having the lamp came to me one day as I saw the light pattern that the lamp shade threw on to the ceiling, a round spot light effect. With the lamp upside down I can direct a spot of light exactly where I wont on the desk with the surrounding space gently lit as the lampshade directs light on to the ceiling which in turn beams downwards.The square switch on the lamp cable is a pedal switch which I also found in a skip, originally meant for a sewing machine. Until a few years ago I used to operate the switch by foot  with high kicks alas I am no longer able to do this. When I get around to it I will put a false beam on the ceiling and hide the cables inside it. That's when I get round to it   :hysterical:
Install ARCH

#62 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

View Posttrigggl, on Sep 18 2010, 10:50 AM, said:

The promised pic.  The LG shine doesn't like low light I guess.Posted ImageThe monitor was also free.  You gotta love that.  :hysterical:
Does it look like that all the time? Or did you have to spend 20 hrs getting the area cleaned up for that shot? ;)Might take a while to get mine to look that cleaned up! LOL!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#63 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have a room in my house which was the computer room for ten years.  In that time, the only cleaning up I ever did was to either move stuff off of the keyboard or mouse, and to dump the ashtrays into plastic grocery bags which then sat on the floor.This past week, SuziQ has emptied it to the point where it's actually a beautiful little room again!  Over 20 bags of crap went out to the curb.  The carpet looks particularly nice, since no part of it has seen the light of day in years and years.Way to go, Ms Q!
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816
  Registered Linux User: 526339 , Check out The Bodhi Guide To Enlightenment

#64 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

So what you're saying, Chip, is that your room looked something like this one?Posted Image:hysterical:

#65 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

Not even close, Eric.  Not only was the crap piled up WAY higher than the monitor, but the "path" to the chair was just an area where there was less crap.  The nicotine marks on the wall stop about halfway down from the ceiling because the lower part of the wall was protected by all of the crap.  It was a sight to see.  Now the room is actually pretty!
Think! It's patriotic!
Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day.
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#66 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:03 PM

Ah... more like this then?Posted Image

#67 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

Closer, but still a long way off.  The stuff was piled up and jammed right up to the walls.  There's way too much open space in that photo.  I really should have taken some pix...
Think! It's patriotic!
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#68 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

Here are some new shots of my real desktop and other stuff:Eric Command Centralhttp://img.photobuck...cs/DSC01049.jpgDesktop (ericsbane03) and Laptop (ericslappy01)http://img.photobuck...cs/DSC01048.jpgLaptophttp://img.photobuck...cs/DSC01051.jpgMe and the Penguinshttp://img.photobuck...cs/DSC01063.jpgAnd the infamous (nearly legendary) Eric Linux Notebookhttp://img.photobuck...cs/DSC01059.jpg*The board is not letting me create thumbnails using BBCode for some reason or another and I'm too lazy to figure it out. Just click on the links.  :teehee:

#69 OFFLINE   ChipDoc

ChipDoc

Forum Fiend

• Members
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on Oct 23 2010, 05:07 PM, said:

Wow, you really HAVE lost weight, Eric - you look great in that shot!
Think! It's patriotic!
Thomas Jefferson, 1816

#70 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

Funny. I thought I looked a bit chubby in that pic. I'm at 206 lbs. I do need to lose another 15 or so, I believe. :teehee:

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

So thats what the laptop looks like running  :teehee: Very nice shots Eric, and it is nice to see the laptop in action :teehee:

#72 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,009 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:06 PM

Yup. That's the baby! My creepy Halloween desktop didn't come out too well in that pic, though. This is it here --> http://www.wallcoo.n...lowmas_3002.jpg :teehee:

#73 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:14 PM

Well it looks nice anyway!!

#74 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

Wow someone who can write and keeps a journal   :wacko: ;)
Install ARCH

#75 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,785 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

View Postabarbarian, on Oct 24 2010, 02:56 PM, said:

Wow someone who can write and keeps a journal   :wacko: B)
Yeah I need to learn to do that. I just make various text documents using vim and do not organize them very well  :wacko:  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users