When Web Pages Won't Load

Teffy

I have a cable connection, and sometimes there are intervals of 30-120 seconds or so when I can't load any web page. I will try:* different browser windows, * different browsers (IE6 or Netscape7), * choosing a different URL,* or try hitting the Escape key and re-issuing the request for a page, and nothing works. I just watch the 'spinning globe' and the progress bar which never ends. :) Where is the bottleneck? Is there anything that I can do about it?Thanks,Teffy

SonicDragon

Sometimes my cable connection will stop too. I do:1. Controll Panel>Network Connections>Your connection>Disconnect and then reconnect.2. Unpulg the modem for a minute or 2.

Guest ComputerBob

From the little you've said, to me, it sounds like a problem at your ISP. I'm on dial-up, and I've had periods of time of up to 2 hours in which I could connect to my local ISP, but couldn't browse, ping, or traceroute anywhere. Each time, it has turned out to be an intermittent DNS problem at my ISP. Once, I even spent a couple hours helping them troubleshoot the problem. Good thing they only charge me $12.50/mo. for unlimited dial-up. :blink:

I agree with the questions and comments that everyone else has raised. Your ISP is the most likely problem. But I would also ask you, have you ever optimized your Internet connection using tips on sites like DSLReports or SpeedGuide.net (or Scot's Newsletter, for that matter). If you have, have you re-optimized settings such as MTU and others in your Windows installation? Because this is a common problem that people get a new broadband connection that doesn't do well with a Windows setup that was optimized for dial-up.If nothing I'm describing sounds familiar, your first step should be to call your cable Internet provider's tech support line and describe the problem. There are many issues that can affect cable Internet performancne. Some of them have to do with cabling and configuration in your home. Get the experts to help you. You're paying for it. What you're describing is not normal for a cable modem. :blink: -- Scot

Since you asked: --- My ISP is AT&T, soon to be Comcast ;) --- I have not noticed a pattern to which sites are affected. When it happens, I can't seem to load pages from any site ( I usually try 3 to 5, then leave in disgust).I ran TCPOptimizer from Speedguide.net and found that my MTU was fine at 1500, but my RWIN needed to be bumped way up. If it happens again, I will try to "get my money's worth" from AT&T. As you know, phone support is always an adventure. Thanks for the help!!!Teffy

Personal testimony: Thanks for mentioning Speedguide.net. I just went through and ran the optimizer... night and day difference with my cable interent... It's amazing how some simple adjustments can make such a big change!! :rolleyes: