Email Encryption

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I really hadn't given this topic much thought and haven't started using any email encryption technique. I have heard of PGP and a couple others that I can't remember right now, but haven't looked into them. I would imagine there are ones for Windows as well as Linux.I was wondering what you all think of them. Are they too much of a nuisance to the average user receiving the encrypted emails.Do you use any particular type of encryption for email? If you use one, what encryption do you use, and how do you like it?Does it work with any email program?I understand you had to send your key to folks so they can read them, but don't know how that works.

Guest ThunderRiver

PGP is a nice choice I would say, but the main problem is that not everyone has PGP installed. So, on a machine without PGP nor private key of yours, you won't be able to decrypt any emails you received at all.PGP also has a known problem, it is lacking updates on plugins, so if you have a newer version of Outlook Express, or some other email clients, PGP breaks down.After MCafee discontinued its support for PGP, GPG poped out of no where in Germany, as an GNU version of PGP. It is still exist, but it is very very hard to use in Windows because there is no GUI interface for it in Windows, ans it does work in Linux, and it has a GUI in Linux as well. Same issue still: lack of plugins.Currently, Microsoft Office 2003 has its own DRM called Digital Information Management. It's only requirement is that user needs to have a .NET account. So that, for all the emails or word documents you create, you can set it to be encrypted and only viewable by you or the people you designated. As for emails, you can also decide on the time period before the email expires and also decide whether the email can be printed or forwarded or not. Right now, it is still in beta testing, and it is hard to tell if it is just another way for Microsoft to make money. However, one thing is for sure, it is quite secure, and the only problem is that if .NET service ever fails, you won't be able to read your document either. Currently DRM is only available in Outlook 2003, not Outlook Express. Also, if you try to open the encrypted document using Office 2000/xp, you will get an message to downoad DRM plugin.ThunderRiver