PC Linux OS

teacher

As part of ibiblio's ongoing effort to grow and keep up with increasingtraffic, the Linux distribution repository has been moved.  All Linuxdistributions, either primary sources or mirrors, are available fromdistro.ibiblio.org.  This includes http, ftp, and rsync services.Requests for http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/ will beredirected to http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/  Linuxdistributions will continue to be available via ftp and rsync during amonth-long transition period.  After this, content will only beaccessible from distro.ibiblio.org.Change the first part of the line in your repository list:from:rpm ftp://ftp.ibiblio.orgto:rpm http://distro.ibiblio.orgor rpm ftp://distro.ibiblio.orgLine will look like this:rpm http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os texstar updatesor thisrpm ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distri.../pclinuxos/apt/ pclinuxos/2004 os texstar updates
The short and sweet: If you use the ibiblio repositories then you need to go into Synaptic and edit your settings to reflect these changes. :w00t:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• réjean

• Bruno

• teacher

• BarryB

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to be of assist. It is hard to keep up with all the changes on all the different distros. Adam, Ivan and I all subscribe to the PCLos unstable mailing list and it gives us a heads up frequently before posted elsewhere. ;)

Thanks Julia! ;) I just installed PCLos over the weekend so it came appropriately. Could you tell me, however, why after making then changes in Synaptic Preferences Repositories I tried doing an upgrade system the I clicked on Apply and it managed to retrieve just about half of the packages? I tried it several times and I keep getting the following message:

67 of the packages could not be retrieved from the server(s).

When I say that I want to continue anyway I get another window telling me a whole lot of :

Failed to fetch  http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/pclinuxos/apt/pclinuxos/2004/RPMS.........More packages failed to fetch. Not displaying.301 Moved Permanently

In the same light., I have no problem seeing my Win XP machine and open some of its files or move them to PCLos but when I try to share a folder in PCLos and I choose either smb or nfs I am told that some packages (samba server being one for example) have to be installed. I see activities going on in the background with a little window telling me that some packages are being retrieved but after 5 min or so the thing stall and all I can do is diminish the little window ( I cannot get rid of it) and continue doing other things.Another thing, somewhat different, is when I go to Master Control Center and I click on Security and Firewall I hear something going on and I get a " Loading Please wait.." message but nothing happens either.If you or someone else has a clue I would appreciate finding out what is going on.

Edited by réjean

Hi Colin!When you have a chance could you give me the full address of "nluug PCLos"?Also, everyone can forget the part about the firewall in my previous post. I left MCC open and came back after 2 hours and it was finally open. Will try the same with samba-server and let you know.

JuliaThank you although I just use Nluug is there a problem getting the updates only from NluugCheers for yearsColin

Colin . . ther is no problem useing nluug . . . . . . that is the only mirror that walks the same pace as the NEW UPDATES thread here on the forum . . . . . so do not change it :lol::lol: Bruno

Thank! Barry! :thumbsup:P.S. I just tried it and here is what I got for message:
I wasn't able to locate file for the curl package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.[/code/

[right][post=144996]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]

They were having problems with the repositories yesterday. Wait a day or two and things will settle down. If you like to live on the dangerous side, unstable is all new gkrellm updates. :lol:

I live in the unstable zone...LOL...actually..so far..been pretty stable, but I wouldn't suggest it as a steady diet :lol:...but then again I seem to do that with all my distro's.......

I should point out how dangerous it can be to live on the unstable side of a distro. My updates last week on my laptop made it so I can not access Suse anymore. Now I can only access PCLos. The only way around this is to change over to Suse as my bootloader. I have spent two hours trying to undo the damage and still am unsuccessful. I might have to reformat my linux partitions - all distros, and start over. :lol:

-Ouch! is right or as we say in Quebec:" Ayoye!". I will definitely wait for a day or two. Just to make sure that I am doing it properly; "ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/pub/os/Linux/distr.../pclinuxos/apt/" or any of the links Julia suggested is what I enter for the URL. Am I supposed to add something to Distribution or Section(s)? I am new to Synaptic so forgive my ignorance.Thanks in advance!Love you all!

Thanks BrunoI hadn't seen any and had read there were some difficulties in some areaAnd NO will not update until they are postedCheers for years and :lol: Colin :lol:

-Ouch! is right or as we say in Quebec:" Ayoye!". I will definitely wait for a day or  two. Just to make sure that I am doing it properly; "ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/pub/os/Linux/distr.../pclinuxos/apt/" or any of the links Julia suggested is what I enter for the URL. Am I supposed to add something to Distribution or Section(s)? I am new to Synaptic so forgive my ignorance.Thanks in advance!Love you all!

Hi Réjean . . . Just open synaptics from the menu . . . then from the menu-bar . . Settings --> Repositories and put the tick in the box for "nluug" ( the full address will already be there ) for the rest you will have to change nothing . . . Then press the "Reload" button . . .then the "Marka all upgrades" button and the the "apply" button . . . . If asked if you want "Smart-updates" say YES . . . tha tis all there is to it :DB) Bruno

Hi ColinThere are no updates since 2 weeks on nluug . . . . so please wait to I post them again . . ;):lol: Bruno

BrunoYou might need to resync. There have been a number of stable updates in the last couple of weeks.

Julia . . .it is the nluug mirror that is a bit behind . . . . . . but I do not mind . . they will come eventually and this way "others" can test them when they use ibiblio :lol: :lol: . . . makes nluug even more safe :DB) Bruno

Hi Réjean . . . Just open synaptics from the menu . . . then from the menu-bar . . Settings --> Repositories and put the tick in the box for "nluug" ( the full address will already be there ) for the rest you will have to change nothing . . . Then press the "Reload" button . . .then the "Marka all upgrades" button and the the "apply" button . . . . If asked if you want "Smart-updates" say YES . . . tha tis all there is to it :DB) Bruno

Thanks Bruno! That's what I thought and had done. Bad news, however. I attempted one more upgrade yesterday night from nluug and this time something happened, downloading, etc. Except that at one point I got a message saying that it couldn't open the "/var/cache/temp" ( should have written it down but it was something similar). I said ok and eventually it finished ( or stop there ).The sad thing is that when I booted this morning everything is changed. All I can use is the "flubox" or "fluxbox" (not sure of the right term). I've got nothing but a blue screen with a clock in the right upper corner. When I click somewhere I get a menu but it is a lot smaller than the one I had before. I managed to open Firefox but all my bookmarks are gone ( no big deal I have them in Mandriva but still). So, is there anything I can do to fix the problem or should I just reinstall?If anyone has an idea please let me know.

Not really clear what did happen there Réjean. . . . . . looks pretty disasterous to me . . . I would opt for a re-install . . . . . . ( the plus side is that you can use the same Lilo entry in Mandriva after the install :) . . . . . :) ):D Bruno

Not really clear what did happen there Réjean. . . . . . looks pretty disasterous to me . . . I would opt for a re-install . . . . . .
Don't know what happened either! I will re-install.
( the plus side is that you can use the same Lilo entry in Mandriva after the install :D . . . . . :) ):) Bruno

exactly what I thought also. :)

hi Rejeanhave you also  done a apt-get check  which would check your depencies?

Hi steel!How would I do that? Just go into a konsole and type it? I'm all new to that "apt-" thing so forgive my ignorance.

How would I do that? Just go into a konsole and type it? I'm all new to that "apt-" thing .
hi Rejeanwhat you do is open konsol and su to root and then type
apt-get check

if everything ok then you would go to the next step...

apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

all in one line ..... if you do receive a depen problem you could remove or reinstall whatever package you are getting errors from ..