The Old LAMPlighter

raymac46

I concentrate mostly on desktop Linux, but knowing what I do is handy when you have to deal with a LAMP stack such as the one that runs my website provider's server farm.

The other day I couldn't log in to my website because I kept getting an error message about a missing MySQL extension. I contacted the website provider helpdesk and they told me my blog site was incompatible with PHP 7.0. After a rollback to PHP 5.6 everything was fine again.

I updated everything and checked all my plugins and themes for PHP 7.0 compatibility. No problemo. But if I used the Command Post software to switch back to PHP 7.0 I got the same missing MySQL error. Can't run a LAMP stack without the "M."

I ran through the list of PHP APIs and noticed that the MySQL ones were not checked to enable them. But there were a bunch of them - which ones did I need? I pressed the "Use Defaults" button & a couple of checkboxes got checked. At last the PHP 7 enabled LAMP stack worked fine.

Just call me the Old LAMPlighter.

securitybreach

LAMP is usually pretty straightforward and easy to set up. Of course, most of the time you are doing this to host your own website instead of dealing with someone else's hosting. How much are you paying them? I only ask as you can get a full VPS for $20 or less a month and host your own content. Plus you will have a VM in the cloud that stays up 24/7.

I have been using Linode for 7 years now without any issues and you can choose whatever distro you like, plus you have full root as well.

I have shared server services for about $8 per month. That is OK for me. It was easy to set up Wordpress and get my own domain so I'm not complaining.

securitybreach

Well Wordpress is free anyway and domains are usually only like 12 a year. If it works for you that is all that matters.

Well Wordpress is free anyway and domains are usually only like 12 a year. If it works for you that is all that matters.

Understood. I just haven't got into setting up my own virtual server yet. The website provider has lots of easy scripts to get Wordpress working. I have very low traffic as its just a blog for friends and family.