HP 6980 & Windows 7

bigaldoc

When I installed Win 7 RC earlier this year, I used the HP 6980 VISTA driver to get my printer installed. It worked OK except for the boot time message that it wasn't installed properly.I just installed the RTM Win 7 yesterday and today have been trying to get that same HP 6980 installed without success. It seems to me that I read somewhere on the HP site (but I don't have a link) that the HP 6980 drivers would be included in the RTM. I went through all the Win 7 hoops of printer install (it's ethernet connected via my router), giving Win 7 the IP address my router has assigned to it. Win 7 then says it's installed but when I try to print the usual test page it fails to find the printer or something. All I know is that the printer's window says "error printing..."Does anyone have any tricks or workarounds for this, please? I bought that @#$%^& thing just six months ago, direct from HP so I can't believe I'm gonna have to junk it because HP didn't write drivers for it for Windows 7!

When I installed Win 7 RC earlier this year, I used the HP 6980 VISTA driver to get my printer installed. It worked OK except for the boot time message that it wasn't installed properly.I just installed the RTM Win 7 yesterday and today have been trying to get that same HP 6980 installed without success. It seems to me that I read somewhere on the HP site (but I don't have a link) that the HP 6980 drivers would be included in the RTM. I went through all the Win 7 hoops of printer install (it's ethernet connected via my router), giving Win 7 the IP address my router has assigned to it. Win 7 then says it's installed but when I try to print the usual test page it fails to find the printer or something. All I know is that the printer's window says "error printing..."Does anyone have any tricks or workarounds for this, please? I bought that @#$%^& thing just six months ago, direct from HP so I can't believe I'm gonna have to junk it because HP didn't write drivers for it for Windows 7!
Hi bigaldoc,You said you used the Vista version driver earlier this year when Win7 was still in development. Did you install the latest driver available from HP? According to the following site, the latest driver was released October 16, 2009.http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...SeriesId=468002http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;swEnvOID=4062

Thanks for the response. I saw that driver page the other day but didn't try it because I have the 6980 connected to ethernet (my router) rather than USB. But, I may have to give up the ghost and switch to USB. I'll keep trying and thanks again!

Big Al,I've read in a German magazine that the windows 7 firewall is another beast than the one in vista. When I reread this thread I'm led to believe it may be a firewall thing. Thinking it over I remember when I installed my C5180 in Vista it didn't work... the remedy was completely disabling the firewall and the AV, then install the latest driver from HP (fetch it before starting the whole circus and put it somewhere on your hard disk drive), and then it should work. In my case indeed it did, so maybe you can try the same thing. BTW: the router uses DHCP.In other words don't give up the setup you're used to (I use it myself) because I think it may just work.If needed the below link may help: (however, I think you've been there. done that)http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ectID=c01822627

Hello,Perhaps you could to install the device driver software for your printer, temporarily connect the printer via USB port to set it up, reconnect it to your router and then change the printer port from USB to TCP/IP.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Well, this is crazy and may be just another one of those Windows "mysteries" for which we never find an answer!After I made that last post, I decided to take a break from Win7 and go back to XP for some other chores. Strangely, I tried to print something and XP said my printer wasn't there! Can ya beat that? I could look at the front panel of the printer and see the power light and the network connection light, so I had no ideas. As we nerds sometimes do, I powered down the printer and after powering it back up, XP printed to it just fine. Well now, how 'bout dat sports fans?I didn't have time since then to check again in Windows 7 and a short time ago, I was gonna delete the printer and install some driver I downloaded from the HP web site. Funny thing is that when I booted to Win7, the printer printed a test page just fine and its properties window still says it will do auto-duplexing which is what I bought it for. Go figger! I don't know what the heck happened nor do I have an answer for all of this, but I truck on....