pclinuxos- 7 mouse buttons

boilertech

I am running pclinuxos-p92-nvidia7676. This distro is 90% perfect. I need to use my extra mouse buttons and cant get them to work. I have followed all the steps and still no luck. There are at least 3 posts on Pclinuxos forums with the same problem. When I run xev the two side buttons do not register. Please help. Thanks.

My Xorg.conf. Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "Buttons" "7" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"EndSection

Hi BoilertechWelcome to the forum !! We might indeed be able to help you . . . . have a look here:Extra Mouse BottonsNote: in the Tips there is a line that says:

Then you need to download the program ¨imwheel¨ (1.0.0pre1) you can find it Here and install it.
At the moment imwheel is at version 1.0.0pre12 :D And you can download the latest version here: http://imwheel.sourceforge.net/Hope this will set you on the right trackB) Bruno

Yes, I did install imwheel. First I used the one from synaptic wich is ver 0.9.9-5mdk. This did not do it so I downloaded imwheel-1.0.0pre12 and installed. This did not work either.

What I did is;./configure (saw no errors)make (no errors)make install (no errors)Not sure what you mean by "made them executable"

Bruno is talking about the second half of the tip..referenced in his reply (if you click on "Extra Mouse Buttons"in Bruno's reply it is a link to the tips page... the scripts are to start imwheel and add to autostartAnd BTW welcome to the Forums!!!! :thumbsup:

Hmmm, Interesting..BTW BoilerTech (LOL..as soon as I saw your name thought of a BT in Navy..anyway) Could I get some info about your mouse...i.e is it usb, ps2 and maker(logitech etc?)

Welcome aboard shipmate...there are a few of us (either have served. are currently serving or are retired Navy..........others that were or are in other service here too.Anyway..I need to do some more research, from what I have checked so far your mouse should be working..anyway..will keep digging...but could you backup your xorgconf and tryy Xorg.conf. Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" ( make this Mouse0) Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" Make this "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" make this "/dev/input/mice" Option "Buttons" "7" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"EndSectionI would try the protocol change first..

Yes I agree it should be. I have had it working with Mandriva, Suse, Ubuntu etc. etc.I was begining to think that maybe it was in the kernel. I am thinking about trying another pclinuxos for generic vid cards.

Yep indeed . . . that mouse should just work . . . . .

I was begining to think that maybe it was in the kernel. I am thinking about trying another pclinuxos for generic vid cards.
It is not due to your video card . . . but you could try another kernel . . the 2.6.13 is available in PCLOS and does pretty well.To make an easy backup of the xorg.conf file before tweaking it along the lines Barry writes, do:
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf{,-BACKUP}

( see: here ):) Bruno

I would go straight to the 2.6-14 kernel. I have been running it for some time and am happy with it. I think it is in stable even. The kernels designed for generic, ndvidia, and ati should all have the same mouse configuration. The only difference was the ability to fit all the different kernels and video support on a single CD.

I did not think that it was the video card. I was only saying that I should try the other pclinuxos distro thinking that the kernal was different. I will try the new kernel 2.6-14 annd see what happens. Thanks again for the support you people rock. :)

Edited by boilertech

Go to synaptic. Then do a search for kernel. Pick the one you want. Synaptic is ifound by clicking: Startmenu -> Configuration -> Packaging -> Synaptic Software Manager.Next tell it to update.You can then click the search button and type in kernel. Right click on the one you want. Tell it to install. Then click the apply button at the top.I go to the custom section and look for everything that is upgradable and mark all upgradables to apply so I am up to date while I am there. It will automatically update your lilo for you. I usually then use nano to make the one I want the default.

Maybe first look in /boot what the exact version is of the kernel you presently run ( up4GB, up1GB, smp, or plain without extra extension ) . . . .so you can choose the corresponding one with a higher version number 2.6.14-<extra extention> :w00t: Bruno

Ok......I installed 2.6.14 and X does not start. I get

" FATAL:Module nvidia not found."
So there must be something that I have to do for the nvidia module. If I do that will I then be able to run the 2.6.12 kernel without the same fatal error?

Hi boilertechFirst try to boot in runlevel 3 ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=305 ) then log in as "root" and run XFdrake to configure your card to use the geniric xorg drivers "nv" for Nvidia . . . then log out with Ctrl+D, log in as user and type "startx".Once you have X back and can use the GUI again: Have a look in the PCLos Control Center --> Services --> Srevices that start at boot . . . and have a look if "dkms" is active at boot. ( this should compile the nvidia drivers for the new kernel at boot )Once dkms is active . . . change the xorg.conf back to the "nvidia" driver ( using XFdrake again ) and reboot.:hysterical: Bruno

I can still start x with the 2.6.12 kernel. Can I just go to the PCLos Control Center and see if "dkms" is active at boot. Or do I need to be running the 2.6.14 kernel? As I look at it now, dkms is not active on boot. I think I will set it active now then try rebooting into 2.6.14. Will repost and let ya know how it goes.

Edited by boilertech

Ok. This is what I got.1) Started "dkms" on boot.2) ran the 2.6.14 kernel, Nvidia still failed. Ran XFdrake and picked generic nv driver3) ran 2.6.14 kernel and x started. Ran "xev" to test buttons on mouse and they still do not work.

So imwheel does not work on 2.6.14 either ?? Very strange !Since I have only a 4 button mouse myself I am unable to check :(About the Nvidia, that is a whole other story . . . please check in synaptics what nvidia packages you have installed, these are the ones you need for dkms to work:dkms dkms-minimal dkms-nvidiakernelkernel-sourcenvidia-1.0-7676-develnvidia-1.0-7676_GLXsharutil( dmks makes sure that the nvidia drivers are automatically configured on every new kernel you install ):hysterical: Bruno

Don't mean to butt in here just my findings, I was able to get my Intellimouse Explorer setup on Kanotix 2.6.14-kanotix-9 just by following Bruno's suggestions.

Don't mean to butt in here just my findings, I was able to get my Intellimouse Explorer setup on Kanotix 2.6.14-kanotix-9 just by following Bruno's suggestions.
Feel free to but in any time. I have had this mouse working in all other distros I have tried. Must be something unique with PCLinuxos.

:hysterical: There is not a source in synaptic for 2.6.14 :hysterical: All I want in a linux distro is full multimedia (like PClinux) with multi button mouse support. Any sugestions?

:hysterical: There is not a source in synaptic for 2.6.14 :hysterical: All I want in a linux distro is full multimedia (like PClinux) with multi button mouse support. Any sugestions?
You are right . . . me too I only see the source for the 2.6.13 . . . . . ( the 2.6.13-oci2.mdk )But since you had problems with the 2.6.12 ( and oci - aka ocilent - who "bakes" the kernels for PCLos probably forgot to compile the correct modules in the 2.6.12 ) the 2.6.13 should do fine.:hysterical: BrunoPS: Is your "protocol" in xorg.conf set to
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
??

Yes, here is my xorg.conf.Section "InputDevice" Identifier "Mouse1" Driver "mouse" Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2" Option "Device" "/dev/mouse" Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7" Option "Buttons" "7"EndSectionI was looking at my lilo setup and noticed this, In my append box

noapic nolapic nomce acpi=ht psmouse.proto=imps splash=silent
Looking at the mouse part. Could this have anything to do with my mouse problem?If I download the 2.6.15 rpm. Will this come with the source?Also...Wierd thing is. When I run "xev" The wheel part of my mouse works. xev shows that 5 of 7 buttons are working. Edited by boilertech

Yep the "psmouse.proto=imps" is a option to the kernel in Lilo.conf I have only seen in PCLos up to now . . . . . dunno what happens if you leave it out . . You can try but be sure to make a backup of the present /etc/lilo.conf so you will be able the go back to previous situation just using the keyboard.There is no source for the 2.6.15 in pclos either . . . you could try to download and install it in an alternative way though: Installing a Kernel Source :ph34r: Bruno