Question Acoustic

Jeber

I'm sitting here listening to my DVD audio system playing Delirium while typing, and I thought, "I wonder what normal people listen to?". So I'm asking, but to keep things in hand, you can only name your top three favorites. My all-time favorite group was/is Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Followed closely by Rammstein and anything produced under the Ministry of Sound label (I know that's cheating, but I started this and I can cheat if I want :D ).AND...you're only allowed to comment on your fav's. No dissing someone else's choice. Keep it friendly and fun.

Guest LilBambi

OK, you had to really make it hard...only 3!ELP is one of my all time favorites as well, BTW.Also, Pink Floyd, and early Queen...But I really can't do it! There are a bazillion favorites floating around in my head!These three are starters though... :D

3???? Only 3??? That's hard. I have soooooo many. And they change with the phases of the moon. But if you must force only 3 on us.....Lately I have been jamming to a lot of Beatles, Steely Dan and Fugazi. I own around a 1000 CD's it was like 967 the last time actually counted a year or so ago....and over 2 hundred hard to find/rare vinyl. I am an audiophile......and you make me pick only 3.....@#@%^#$!!! :D :D Great topic, Jeber, glad you brought it up.

Gee... I'll bet nobody knows my favorite band! :DWell... besides my favorite, I'd have to put Linkin Park at number 2, and hmmm... Journey at number 3 (although this one's a toss up between 4-5 bands).I've been listening to Linkin Park's album almost constantly since it came out in March... hasn't left my car CD player since I put it in there :DP.S. for those of you who don't know, my favorite band is Chicago :D See my Avatar :D

I own around a 1000 CD's
Stryder, buddy, you're just getting started. My last count was 3145. All genres, but mostly classical and jazz. I've been with Musicland for 8 years and have gotten a LOT of promos during that period. Sometimes...life is good.

Delirium??? Oh, wait, I wasn't suppose to do that. :D Eagles, and most of the stuff by the members after the split.Lynard Skinnard...pre plane crash3?!!!. Ohmygosh!Tina Turner..no wait... :D

Guest Paracelsus

Well.. Since this isn't a Classical thread, I'll stick with the main theme.In no order...Genesis (Especially early works)Renaissance (Annie Haslam had one of the all time most beautiful voices)The Chieftains (Celtic Music RULES)

I thought I was going to be all by myself in this thread as far as likes.I don't pay much attention to bands or names. I use those spindles that hold blank CDs to hold the ones I don't listen to all the time anymore. (Oh horrors!) My students tell me I can't have any rhythm :D since I only keep classical in the classroom (it saves fights over genres).Anyway here goes:1. Christian Pop2. Classical - Yup, Chieftains rock too Paracelsus.3. Stuff like Phantom of the Opera but not real opera.As you can see, I can't think of group names (unless Veggie Tales count). Figured there had to be one odd ball in the bunch. Basically I like any type of music except rap (Does that even count as music?) and stuff with cuss words in it (Yes, I just tell my students I am an old prude!). Can't think of anything here in the lists so far that I have not listened to at one time or another. And yup, I am from another planet--I have never downloaded music on the Internet. If I like it, I buy it.

... "I wonder what normal people listen to?"... 
I wonder about that often, myself... I like:The Mahavishnu Orchestra (John McLaughlin & Carlos Santana).Sting.Yes. :D Hey Joy! My all time favorite classical movement would be, "An Ode To {you!} " :D

Ok, well, this is a great topic. I like all kinds of music. I'm totally into music. I like rock, jazz, country, classical, alternative, folk, bluegrass, swing, big band, standards. What I don't like: Opera. Can't warm up to it. I'm also not real big on rap/hip-hop, although my 11-year-old is trying valiantly to get me to like it, and he's made some inroads.Ok, bands. Notice I didn't mention the Blues. Of all types of music, it's the music I feel in the pit my stomach, my heart, my soul. Everywhere. I play electric guitar (by ear, and for myself), and what I play is electric blues. Because of that ...Steve Ray VaughanEric ClaptonSusan Tedeschi (bet you don't know her)It's hard to narrow it down to those three, because there are many other great blues musicians, not to mention musicians in general. I think we should do a Part II of this thread with 5 or 10! :D -- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Had to go look that one up Scot!Susan Tedeschi received a grammy nomination for "Best Female Vocal Rock Performance" for "Alone" as indicated on her homepage:http://www.pipeline.com/~stb/And this great looking site:http://www.susantedeschi.com/

Guitarist, singer and songwriter Susan Tedeschi is part of the new generation of blues musicians looking for ways to keep the form exciting, vital and evolving. Tedeschi's live shows are by no means straight-ahead urban blues. Instead, she freely mixes classic R&B, blues and her own gospel and blues-flavored original songs into her sets. She's a young, sexy, sassy...
According to this site:http://www.artistdirect.com/music/artist/c...,658861,00.html

Thanks, LilBambi. FWIW, Susan Tedeschi has three albums. The first and the third aren't all that great (IMHO). The second album, "Just Won't Burn," I've listened to a bazillion times. The first four cuts on that album are phenomenal.In particular, the track "It Hurt So Bad" is amazing.Susan plays guitar, and pretty well. But it's all about her voice. Clearly influenced by Janis Joplin, but her voice is better than Janis's (not more expressive; no one's is).I saw Tedeschi in a very small forum a couple years back. Only 200-300 people, in an old movie theater. "It Hurt So Bad" was her finale, and it just bowled me over. It was much better than the album.Anyway, sorry for all the detail. It's hard not to wax poetic about music.-- Scot

I wanted to set the limit at three because I know personally I could name 30-40 artists that I listen to frequently and would buy any album put out by them. But I didn't want each poster to list 30-40 groups, and their opinions/comments, and...resulting in a ten page thread of only 3 posters. :P

Yeah, I know. And you're right. I think I managed to do some of that anyway. B)Hey, if you'd said 10 we'd be complaining you didn't say 20. :P -- Scot

I think I'd need a 10 item list just for the genres I enjoy. Then at least 2 or 3 examples each. But I'll list the last 3 CDs I listened to:

• Marisa Monte - A Great Noise - Brazilian pop vocalist
  • Bond - Born - Classical crossover
  • Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East - Blues/Southern Rock

:P :) :)

Scot I have to agree with you. My favorites are all Blues artists, one of my lifetime goals is to learn to play the guitar and the blues are my motivation. 1- John Lee Hooker2- Stevie Ray Vaughan3- Sonny Boy Williamson IIHow many people know who Sonny is? He was one of the most influential blues artists of all time.Like many of you I love music and although my collection doesn’t come close to Jeber’s it ranges from Hard Rock to Opera. I grew up in an Italian household were the great operas played all the time; while my grandmother cooked and went about her daily activities. Great topic

Absorbine_Sr

King Crimson - Been listening since 1972 (tells you how old I am! :ph34r: )Tool Richard Wagner (yes, opera)Anything that challenges the musical Status Quo.A_Sr.

Delirium??? Oh, wait, I wasn't suppose to do that.  :ph34r:
Delirium just so happens to be a fave of mine too... hehe... you know, that FAMOUS band Delirium... ;) I haven't seen any artist make a full CD of good tunes, so I stick to mixes, and in term of mixes, my top 3 are Ministry of Sound (every single release), DJ Jean's Madhouse series, and DJ Tiesto's live mixes. been listening lately a lot to John Acquiviva, Ian Pooley, Danny Tangliani and Bad Boy Bill. ;) oh, and in terms of actually recognizable artists, i'm a Coldplay fan.

Is it 3 PER POST?Okay,QueenPink FlloydSantanajoplinclaptonbeatlesheartelocrocespyrogyracreamdoorsstyxbluesbrothersfleetwoodmac-stonesbreadjoecockerbillyjoelgoldenearringroyalguardsmenOops! My brain was working faster than my fingers could stop! ;) d|:^)Dick

As a former musician and (temporary sabatical) sound man, it's hard to narrow it down. sooo....Yes --- There's a really old one called "Gates of Delerium", but that was on a real die-hard Yes albumnPink Floydd --- "Animals" is a great workLed Zeppelin --- "Presence", talk about underrated3's a tough one, one would have to be "Thick as a Brick" not to have more. ;)

Geez, what a bunch of cheaters! ;) You're just like those kids I sat next to in school. And thanks to them I now have two degrees. But I digress. The whole point of the 3 name limit was to both get you to really think about who your absolute 3 favorites were, not just rattle off a list of artists you like a lot, and to keep the posts at a reasonable length. OK, (sigh), let's see if the next bunch of posters can do any better. Teacher, I may wind up needing your help with these kids. Just can't follow directions. A.D.D.?Oh, and dicknite, gotta give you credit. Still cheating, but clever. I only have one thought for you..."wordwrap". ;)

Jeber,I don't like wrap music. Not that it isn't likeable, just not my preference... ;) I did go back and un-long that line tho... ;) d|:^)Dick

Jeber - I am here for you! Now they want us to do positive reinforcement. Should we get out the little gold and silver stars for those that do it right?The heck with that, we could just borrow Stryder's shovel? ;) Just clue me in as to which way you want to go, nicey nice ;) or mean old lady. ;)

Thanks. They're usually a pretty nice bunch of people, so I guess we should try the nicey nice first, to be followed with the shovel (or laptop, don't forget we've still got that 8# paperweight we could use) if they don't get it together. :huh:

Okay, I will go look for my package of foil stars. Then I will get into my supply of suckers, candy and various forms of sugar.Sure is hard to put away the whip though. :huh: You are definitely right, I would say it is a pretty good group here. Even if they do get confused by one or two favorite posters every now and again. :huh: _________Sure wish I could figure out why I can't get colors (or sizes, etc.) to work in Phoenix but can in Explorer. Guess Phoenix just wants to keep me in line and keep me from overdoing it.

Guest LilBambi
Okay, I will go look for my package of foil stars.  Then I will get into my supply of suckers, candy and various forms of sugar.
Now, we're talking! :D
Sure wish I could figure out why I can't get colors (or sizes, etc.) to work in Phoenix but can in Explorer.  Guess Phoenix just wants to keep me in line and keep me from overdoing it.
That's one thing where IE has 'em all beat! Had the same problem in Phoenix, but not anymore :huh: Seems Phoenix either puts the codes at the beginning or end of the paragraph or at the end of the post; it can't make up its mind. Plus it doesn't close the code commands (which is why you end up seeing the codes in the message).What I ended up doing is putting the codes in, moving them where I want them and closing them myself. Then they work fine. :huh: