Netflix working without Wine

lewmur

I haven't heard a word about this, but apparently, as part of getting the Chromium OS working, Netflix is now working via Chrome in Linux. My guess is that Google convinced Netflix that the Chromium OS market place was going to be large enough to warrant getting Netflix to work via pepperflash.

I was trying out the Chromium OS and was having problems with Netflix, which was an app in the Google Store, and it turned out the problem was that pepperflash wasn't installed. So I installed Chrome, which has pepperflash by default, and Netflix worked with it. Iit then occurred to me, if it works with the Chromium OS, why not with Chrome in other Linux distros. Tried it with Chrome in Mint Debian, and sure enough, I'm now watching a Netflix video without having to load a Win7 session in Vbox!!! HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN, LET'S SING A SONG OF CHEER AGAIN, HAPPY DAYS -ARE-HERE-AGAIN!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 2

Hedon James

Netflix in Chrome on Linux has been working for awhile now, or so I've read. I don't use Chrome, but based on articles I've read, you must be using Chrome, not the open source Chromium, and it must be a specific version of Chrome. I THINK I remember it must be Chrome 38 or higher. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

securitybreach

Well it can work with Chromium but you need to extract a library to your Chromium installation folder: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/watch-netflix-video-in-your-chromium-browser-this-time-for-real/

That link is for Slackware but it should work the same way on any distro. The reason for this is netflix requires DRM and Chrome is the only browser that uses Encrypted Media Extension on Linux (DRM).