Trashed My Shop System

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Even "gurus" fsck up sometimes. ;)

I was trying to patch my kernel in ericsshop02-wifi earlier this morning and must have done something wrong somewhere because Kernel Panic ensued. After a brief troubleshooting interlude, I just decided to install Slack64 14.2 on this system.

I installed without wiping my /home partition, so setup was easy peasy. All is working well now. I'm currently updating, which is a bit slow on wifi.

I even got PulseAudio setup up and working. It's OK, but I still prefer ALSA.

---

My main system is my only system still running the old Slack64 14.1. I'm hesitant to attempt a 14.2 install on that system, though. It has many more customizations and third party apps installed. It would be much work to get that all debugged and working properly. I think I'll just stick with 14.1 on that machine for a while more. :)

The humble guru moves on now...

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh...

Well, the shop system is all Okee-dokee.

I only have one little issue with ssh.

I can ssh from the shop to the office and main systems in the house, but I can't ssh from them back to the shop, nor can I ssh from the office system to the main system. Strange. I'm sure it's some overlooked config issue. I'll go through them again another day. I'm burned out on computering baloney for today. I just want to sit back and listen to some mellow tunes on YouTube now. ;)

• Like 1

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHH! ooojr.gif

:hysterical:

There was some interesting conversation about systemd on the latest episode of "Late Night Linux" podcast that seems to have gotten me convinced that we may end up with a "systemd Linux OS" where the only real difference between distros is packaging, desktop environments and the default wallpaper...

My netbook's at the repair shop with a cracked screen at the moment, but I may put Devuan on it when I get it back... although I've been meaning to try Solus for a while... We'll see anyway.

Sorry... may have been a little off topic here...

• Like 2

securitybreach

There was some interesting conversation about systemd on the latest episode of "Late Night Linux" podcast that seems to have gotten me convinced that we may end up with a "systemd Linux OS" where the only real difference between distros is packaging, desktop environments and the default wallpaper..

Um, wait... that has been the case for many years now. Those are the only differences between 99.9% of distros out there (well besides the installers and a lot of those are the same as well).

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Off-topic? Bah... we don't execute junior members for that anymore. We've become much more tolerant. ;)

• Like 3

securitybreach

Off-topic? Bah... we don't execute junior members for that anymore. We've become much more tolerant. ;)

Unless your talking about windows or apple and then it's "off with your head"... B)

• Like 1

abarbarian

Unless your talking about windows or apple and then it's "off with your head"... B)

I am shocked.

I often eat an apple whilst catching up at Scot's and gaze out of the window whilst processing the information I have acquired. :th_run-around-smiley:

• Like 2

securitybreach

I am shocked.

I often eat an apple whilst catching up at Scot's and gaze out of the window whilst processing the information I have acquired. :th_run-around-smiley:

Hehehe, right!! :hysterical: