ReactOS 0.3.16 review

abarbarian

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/02/06/reactos-0-3-16-review/

For those who for one reason or the other must use a Microsoft operating system, imagine what it would mean to be able to run their favorite Windows applications on a Windows-compatible operating system that does not have all the govt-sponsored backdoors of the original. Assuming the group I’m referring to really care about privacy, I think it would be a major development.

Code and design-wise, that means the core has nothing to do with Linux or other Unix-like operating systems. But this is a project I think has a bright future and the potential to play a very important role in the Free Software/Open Source community.

It ain't windows or linux but I thought it might interest those poor folk who have to use windows programs. :breakfast:

http://www.linuxbsdo...-0-3-16-review/

It ain't windows or linux but I thought it might interest those poor folk who have to use windows programs. :breakfast:

Unfortunately, this is vaporware that has been around for years. It doesn't seem to be any further along than it was the last time I looked at it. It will boot to what appears to be a desktop but won't run any apps other than its own file manager. And it's been that way for over five years. :wub: :icon8:

It is still in active development. They have a Kickstarter campaign and a commercial german backer. Also it has been run on a Raspberry Pi, only took 5 mins 40 sec to boot on the Pi. :Laughing:

It is still in active development. They have a Kickstarter campaign and a commercial german backer. Also it has been run on a Raspberry Pi, only took 5 mins 40 sec to boot on the Pi. :Laughing:

Define "active development". I don't doubt that it is something someone would try to monetize on Kickstarter, but that doesn't mean it is truly viable. Duplicating the Windows desktop "look" is fairly easy. Duplicating the API so that it would really run a reasonable portion of available Windows apps would be next to impossible.

It is difficult enough to get Windows apps to run under Wine, and it starts out with a copy of the Windows kernel and API. To reverse engineer even an early version of the Windows API would be a truly daunting task. How many people did MS pay to write the original? And these people can't just write an OS, they have to duplicate someone else's. Just think of the hundreds of device drivers it would have to work with. IMO, anyone investing in this Kickstarter project, is throwing their money away.

As to booting ReactOS on the Pi, it is no wonder it takes five minutes. It is written in x86 and to get it to boot with an ARM processor would require using a DOS emulator. There are a couple of those that work on the Pi but both are so slow as to be useless for practical purposes.

react os reminds me of duke nukem 3d: a gaming program in active development for over a decade that produced no results...

Not so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D

Duke Nukem 3D was a commercial hit, selling about 3.5 million copies.[32] The reviewers paid a lot of attention to the sexual content within the game. Their reception of this element varied: Tim Soete of GameSpot felt that it was "morally questionable",[7] while the Game Revolution reviewer noted that it was "done in a tongue-in-cheek manner," and he was "not personally offended".[33]

In 1996, Next Generation ranked it as the 35th top game of all time, called "for many, the game Quake should have been."[34] It was named #37 overall among best games of all time by Computer Gaming World in 1996,[35] and voted #13 overall in PC Gamer magazine's readers' all-time top games poll.[36] The editors of PC Game ranked it as the 12th top game of all time in 2001 citing the game's humor and pop-culture references,[37] and as the 15th best games of all time in 2005.[38] GamePro included it among the most important video games of all time.[39] In 2009, IGN's Cam Shea ranked it as the ninth top 10 Xbox Live Arcade game, stating that it was as fun as it was in its initial release, and praised the ability to rewind to any point before the player died.[40]

You may be thinking of Duke Nukem Forever.

On September 3, 2010, after 14 years, Duke Nukem Forever was officially reported by 2K Games to be in development at Gearbox Software.[9] It was originally confirmed to be released on May 3, 2011 in North America, with a worldwide release following on May 6, 2011.[10] This was, however, delayed by a month to June 10 internationally, with a North American release on June 14. On May 24, 2011, it was announced that Duke Nukem Forever finally "went gold" after 15 years.[11][12] After going gold the launch trailer for Duke Nukem Forever was released on June 2, 2011, quelling any doubt that release was anything but imminent.[13] On June 27, 2011, Aspyr Media announced that Duke Nukem Forever would be making its way onto Mac OS X in August 2011. It was made available for pre-order on June 27 via their online game distribution platform GameAgent.[14]

:whistling: