Font problem

Ed_P

V.T. Eric Layton

That is a character encoding issue with your browser.

You'll need to check your settings (I don't know what browser you're using) and change them around (usually UTF-8 will be the best setting) a bit.

https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-what-is-encoding

How to change the encoding settings will depend on what browser you're using... IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.

You'll need to check your settings (I don't know what browser you're using) and change them around (usually UTF-8 will be the best setting) a bit.

https://www.w3.org/I...hat-is-encoding <-- a little reading for you.

How to change the encoding settings will depend on what browser you're using... IE, Firefox, Chrome, etc.

Thanks Eric. However, I changed Chrome 64bit to UTF-8 and still see what Ed_P is seeing at Computerworld, and on other sites. Any idea what setting might work better with Chrome?

Thanks again,

Mac

V.T. Eric Layton

You could try ISO 8859-X, but chances are that won't help.

I'm seeing the same thing in Firefox, Seamonkey, and Chromium, so my guess is that the RSS feed used by Scot's Newsletter Forums to display the CW feed is at fault.

The issue does not show up when you access CW's website directly...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3137472/internet-of-things/it-s-time-to-regulate-baby-monitors.html

• Like 1

Windows 10 64-bit Internet Explorer & Edge browsers. I was going to check with Linux Firefox and Windows 7 IE but based on the above posts it doesn't appear necessary. Maybe the CW writers need to check their posting browsers encoding settings. :whistling:

I'm seeing the same thing in Firefox, Seamonkey, and Chromium, so my guess is that the RSS feed used by Scot's Newsletter Forums to display the CW feed is at fault.

So how do the techs that admin the site get alerted to fix this? Or does Scot need to fix it?

Edited by Ed_P

The CW page is coded in Unicode (UTF 8). If you switch the forum page to this and refresh, the characters appear "normal".

It isn't a forum character encoding problem - if the page matches what the source is coded in.

(Palemoon browser on Windows 7).

Since this is the only webpage that I visit, with various browsers and OSs, that has this problem and only some of the CW postings have the problem not all of them I'm pretty sure it's a CW/Newsletter problem not a browser problem. You guys can defend it or fix it your choice.

See ya. :shifty:

Since this is the only webpage that I visit, with various browsers and OSs, that has this problem and only some of the CW postings have the problem not all of them I'm pretty sure it's a CW/Newsletter problem not a browser problem. You guys can defend it or fix it your choice.

See ya. :shifty:

I didn't look at all the CW posts but among the ones I did.

If the post included an apostrophe, the code replaced it.

If not, they didn't.

I saw one instance where a different code replaced a different non-alphanumeric symbol.

Since the CW postings are just excerpts from a larger article, they don't all include apostrophes.

The CW page is coded in Unicode (UTF 8). If you switch the forum page to this and refresh, the characters appear "normal".

It isn't a forum character encoding problem - if the page matches what the source is coded in.

(Palemoon browser on Windows 7).

With Firefox on Windows 10, I didn't even have to "refresh".

V.T. Eric Layton

If CW is using a Microsoft Windows family font, then any browser in Linux must convert to something compatible to display in Linux operating systems. Unfortunately, there are some characters that don't translate well. This may be the issue you're seeing.

• 4 months later...

New Dell notebook, Windows 10.? Same CW font problem with IE & Edge. Obviously CW not interested in appealing to Scot readers. (Or maybe they don't have an IT staff that knows how to fix their font. :D )

CW not interested in appealing to Scot readers.
CW has a much larger audience than the 80 active users here who visited in the last year. http://forums.scotsn...ers&module=list

That's why the font is set to unicode and not Western. So set your browser(s) to unicode if it bothers you that much.

Click View, Character Encoding, Unicode (Palemoon)

View, Encoding, More, Unicode (IE11)

Before

b3e3c4540762644.jpg

After

d3169b540763026.jpg

Edited by zlim