opening '.arc' files with ark or karchiver

jimg

I have a few hundred files from an old backup that are stored in the sea/pkarc format. It's no problem to view these files from the command line using the arc utility, but I would like to open these with ark or karchiver instead.ark gives the error message: "This file appears to be of type application/x-arc, which is not a supported archive format. In order to proceed, please choose the format of the file."A drop-down box appears with a list of file types, but arc isn't listed. How can I convince ark to open these files?karchiver just opens two additional copies of itself instead of opening the file but doesn't give any error messages.

It's no problem to view these files from the command line using the arc utility
Hi Jim . . . I think you should be happy there is a tool to open them at all . . . because:
Files with the .arc extension are relatively rare. If you do stumble upon one of them, you can reasonably assume that it was created with the help of old MS-DOS SAE ARC or PKware PKARC archival utilities. This format is not well supported on Linux, and you can only hope to decompress those files on a Linux machine. If you need to create .arc files, try running original SAE ARC or PKware PKARC (look for them on FTP servers carrying utilities for MS-DOS) under DOSEMU or VMware.
That is what you get with propriety formats :'(The creator of the pkarc format, Phillip W. Katz. died in the year 2000 and took his secrets with him ;):hmm: Bruno

There should be a utility called 'unarc' , maybe for your distro it is in the repos. Have a look if it is in there. :hmm: