14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

It has been awhile since I last visited the Forum. Thought I would drop in and say Hello. I was wondering if anyone is still using SuSE. I used all of the commercial version until 10.1 I believe it was, when I gave it up for something else after a major crash. I downloaded the latest Leap 15 live KDE and it seems to run pretty good. I might give it a whirl just for something to play with. My main Distros are Mint Cinnamon and Debian with Cinnamon DE. I still play with Lubuntu and LXLE.
Mel
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#2 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:59 AM

Well, my first openSUSE installation was 12.1, back in 2012, and then I kept with it up through Leap 42.2. Very nice distro, but I decided not to continue on with Leap 42.3 last summer, and now I mainly run Debian and Arch and a few based on those. And I've got a Kubuntu 18.04 installation -- very nice release, from what I've seen so far. I've been reading about Leap 15.0. Sounds good. I'm glad they brought back the live images; I'll probably download one of those and take it for a spin. I don't know if/when I'll install openSUSE again because I've found that I definitely have a preference for apt and pacman.

#3 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

I started using SuSe back in the 90's with their first commercial release's. I paid $65 for each commercial version starting with 5.3 or 4 as I recall. It was my main OS until version 10.1 when I had a major crash that I could not recover from and lost a lot of important Info for my BBS. Have not used it since except to play with. I to prefer Debian and Mint as my main OS. Can't beat Apt.
:clap:
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's

#4 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,321 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

I'm pretty sure that ebrke (Elizabeth) still uses SuSE.

Oh, and HOWDY! :)

#5 OFFLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

I'm pretty sure ebrke, Elizabeth, uses SUSE on a daily basis.

Looks like great minds think alike Eric!

Edited by zlim, 28 May 2018 - 11:45 AM.

Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:21 PM

Yes, I'm still with openSUSE, have been since 2003. It runs well on my old hardware using xfce. Unfortunately, I'm still on 42.2, which is outdated, but I haven't had a chance to do the install of 42.3. I did download the program for the net install of 42.3 though. Good to hear from you Mel!

Edited by ebrke, 28 May 2018 - 01:22 PM.

Registered Linux User 344759

#7 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,527 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hey Mel, nice to see you back around :)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#8 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:27 PM

I Installed Suse Leap 15 on my hard drive. Was disappointed in it. I thought that maybe it would have improved by now. It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. So off of the hard drive it comes. It also messed up my UEFI and I had to use rescatux to get into my main distro. I am going to replace it with SID Cinnamon.
Mel
:download:

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,527 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:33 PM

Well, unfortunately, Suse has been that way for years. Even years ago yast was very slow.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 29 May 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Well, unfortunately, Suse has been that way for years. Even years ago yast was very slow.
Yes and after all of these years they still haven't changed. They are more Like "Gasp" Microsoft especially with their secure boot. I would change the boot to mint using Rescatux and the next boot it would bring up Suse. So I uninstalled it and redid the UEFI Boot.
Mel

Edited by mhbell, 29 May 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,527 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 03:38 PM

View Postmhbell, on 29 May 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

View Postsecuritybreach, on 29 May 2018 - 01:33 PM, said:

Yes and after all of these years they still haven't changed. They are more Like "Gasp" Microsoft especially with their secure boot. I would change the boot to mint using Rescatux and the next boot it would bring up Suse. So I uninstalled it and redid the UEFI Boot.
Mel

It's unfortunate but at least you know how to"fix" it...

#12 OFFLINE   Peachy

Peachy

Anarquista De Sartorial

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,443 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 AM

I have a couple of Leap 42.3 VMs running in my data centre for use as jump boxes. It seems to be the only Linux distro that I was able to run the virtual console of a Dell server with iDRAC 8 management. It requires Java and Ubuntu and Debian's implementation required too many hacks. Also, VNC seems to work better on it than other distros except Leap 15 has issues in VNC that I haven't been able to fix yet.

'freedom...is actually the reason that men live together in political organisations at all. Without it, political life as such would be meaningless. The raison d'Être of politics is freedom, and its field of experience is action'.
My Flickr Photo Blog Posted Image
del.icio.us bookmarks Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,766 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:10 PM

It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. o
OpenSuse may be a bit slow, but it's always been dependable for me. Since I use older hardware anyway, I'm not expecting blazing speed.

#14 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • 2,166 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:28 PM

View Postebrke, on 17 June 2018 - 01:10 PM, said:

It is still slow and bloated. It looks real nice and has all of the eye candy, but is very very slow booting up and I have a fast computer with 16 GB of Ram and ssd disks. o
OpenSuse may be a bit slow, but it's always been dependable for me. Since I use older hardware anyway, I'm not expecting blazing speed.
I can understand that. My hardware is not the latest, but it will handle anything I care to run. I notice that Mint is starting to slow down and getting a little bloated. I also use LxLe which so far is fast. Don't know how it will be when the DE changes maybe to QT. I might give Lubuntu another look. But will stay with mint as primary for now.

#15 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,766 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:24 PM

I also use LxLe which so far is fast.
I've been using Xfce on Suse for years, mainly because my hardware labors with KDE or Gnome. Xfce is fine for me anyway--I no longer need bells and whistles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users