• 862 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

View Postraymac46, on 07 May 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

ray@ray-debian-T430:~$ free -m
			 total	 used	 free	 shared buff/cache available
Mem:		 7689	 1499	 5475		 143		 714	 5813
Swap:		 7887		 0	 7887
ray@ray-debian-T430:~$

I don't doubt you Ray.  I'm just astounded at what's going on with Ubuntu proper...that is INSANE RAM usage.  Saw a thread on reddit where some users did some benchmarking of 'Buntu flavors and summarized in a table.  **Spoiler Alert** it appears that KDE may now be mentioned as a "lightweight" distro!

https://www.reddit.c...ubuntu/dy7iye5/

#27 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:29 PM

The lightest weight desktop I have on the rails right now is Xfce in Arch on my tiny Atom netbook. Even that is close to 400MB.
I think you have to go with one of the LX based distros to get lighter and still have a desktop environment. Or choose a Window Manager.
I'd like GNOME to fix any memory leaks but when I routinely have 16GB of RAM, a 1GB memory footprint doesn't appall me. After all Win 10 is taking somewhere north of 2.5 GB just to give a desktop.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#28 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

^True!  I guess we're just spoiled by Linux.  The rest of the world requires 2.5GB+ for an idle desktop and we're freaking out about what kind of RAM hog requires 1GB to render a desktop!  :devil:

#29 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

I didn't know that, that Windows takes that much RAM just to get to the desktop!

I got ticked off about the Amazon stuff and quit running Ubuntu. But then I installed Kubuntu 18.04. Looks good. I like that Minimal Installation option in the installer! That's available now for all of the Ubuntu "flavors," right?

The LTS releases, in my opinion, turn out to be almost as solid as Debian Stable -- after the first point release, that is.

I like GNOME Shell but I think I'd prefer "vanilla" over what Ubuntu ships with.

#30 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,888 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostHedon James, on 11 May 2018 - 09:21 AM, said:

^True!  I guess we're just spoiled by Linux.  The rest of the world requires 2.5GB+ for an idle desktop and we're freaking out about what kind of RAM hog requires 1GB to render a desktop!  :devil:

Without the browser running, my system only uses like 1.2gb of ram. Granted, I mostly run terminal apps but still. I do have 32gb of ram in this machine but chrome usually uses 12gb of it. I know... unused ram is useless ram but I have more ram than any of my systems could use up. Well, I have two laptops that I could max out.

If they ever figure out how to make the browser lightweight, running out of memory will be a thing of the past.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#31 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:54 AM

I never have liked the vanilla GNOME look, but with the Shell Extensions I get a dock at the bottom of the screen and an Applications..Places menu at the top reminiscent of GNOME 2. Ubuntu 18.04 uses a shell extension now to get the old Unity look on the left side of the screen.
Even Ubuntu MATE is not immune to customization. It uses the Brisk menu which reminds me a lot of (wait for it) Xfce. Of course, MATE can be re-customized to its Traditional GNOME 2 look or even Unity if you like.

Edited by raymac46, 12 May 2018 - 10:57 AM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#32 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:56 AM

View Postraymac46, on 12 May 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

Even Ubuntu MATE is not immune to customization. It uses the Brisk menu which reminds me a lot of (wait for it) Xfce. Of course, MATE can be re-customized to its Traditional GNOME 2 look or even Unity if you like.

That Unity look and workflow has been growing on me...

Posted Image
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#33 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

View PostDr. J, on 14 May 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

View Postraymac46, on 12 May 2018 - 10:54 AM, said:

That Unity look and workflow has been growing on me...

Posted Image

Ahhh...another convert!

#34 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:35 AM

Ubuntu MATE 18.04 review: http://www.ocsmag.co...in-ubuntu-mate/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users