Linux Mint 18

raymac46

It's out but as I said earlier I am in no rush to upgrade. I tried it out on a couple of desktops with mixed results.

On my all AMD desktop with a discrete AMD R7 360 card it works well, but won't use the fglrx video driver. That's not a deal breaker. Wifi works fine with an Atheros PCI-e card.

On my older desktop that has an Nvidia card it boots OK and the Nouveau video works, but the wifi won't connect even though it's an Atheros PCI based chipset. I can see the networks but cannot authorize. The password seems corrupt somehow or when I try to connect the network disappears from the radar screen. This is running on an ISO and I won't install if I can't get wifi to work. On the same hardware Ubuntu 16.04 works perfectly.

Since LM 17 works just great on both machines and is supported until 2019 I'll just stick with the old stable distro for now. I'd be interested if anyone else plays around with LM 18 and how things work for them.

• Like 1

It's out but as I said earlier I am in no rush to upgrade. I tried it out on a couple of desktops with mixed results.

On my all AMD desktop with a discrete AMD R7 360 card it works well, but won't use the fglrx video driver. That's not a deal breaker. Wifi works fine with an Atheros PCI-e card.

On my older desktop that has an Nvidia card it boots OK and the Nouveau video works, but the wifi won't connect even though it's an Atheros PCI based chipset. I can see the networks but cannot authorize. The password seems corrupt somehow or when I try to connect the network disappears from the radar screen. This is running on an ISO and I won't install if I can't get wifi to work. On the same hardware Ubuntu 16.04 works perfectly.

Since LM 17 works just great on both machines and is supported until 2019 I'll just stick with the old stable distro for now. I'd be interested if anyone else plays around with LM 18 and how things work for them.

I've had it installed on my main box and on a laptop for a couple of weeks now. My only problem was trying to install it from a USB stick. The stick would boot fine but when it tried to install to the HDD, it would fail to read the stick. Worked fine using a DVD.
  • Like 1

I'll wait for Linux Mint 18.1 and then I'll download another ISO and see if wifi works with my older PCI based card. I haven't seen anything really compelling in the latest release except that it works nicely with the FOSS AMD driver on my GCN 1.1 video card. However the proprietary driver works pretty well with the older stable LM 17.

If at the end of support for LM 17 I still can't get the old wifi working I can always go with a newer USB based wifi solution. But that won't be necessary for a couple of years.

securitybreach

I installed it on one of the machines at work and it's just as stable as 17. I noticed a few changes in the installer and some other stuff but not really a major upgrade in my opinion.

• Like 2

I'll wait for Linux Mint 18.1 and then I'll download another ISO and see if wifi works with my older PCI based card. I haven't seen anything really compelling in the latest release except that it works nicely with the FOSS AMD driver on my GCN 1.1 video card. However the proprietary driver works pretty well with the older stable LM 17.

If at the end of support for LM 17 I still can't get the old wifi working I can always go with a newer USB based wifi solution. But that won't be necessary for a couple of years.

Have you tried using ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver for the wifi?

Have you tried using ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver for the wifi?

No I haven't. It's only been tried out on a USB stick so nothing would persist anyway. I don't think I'll worry about it. If all else fails I could try the USB based Atheros wifi. That seems to work OK with more recent kernels.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a clean minimalistic install on an old Lenovo R500 laptop, after completely repartitioning the laptops drive. That worked like I expected. I then tuned and tweaked the system with the goal of using it as my music machine, I'am bit of a music freak. (old love, yeah I know) BTW: I'm using Cinnamon for this, my personal preference but of course YMMV. I do use an external audio card Focusrite Saffire 6 USB (1.1) which I previously used on a Mac, now it's dedicated for the Linux Mint machine. Pulse Audio Volume Control is used and Sayonara music player (one heck of a player - I settled for this one after having tried others which didn't suit me to my taste), speakers are JBL LSR 305 near field monitors on the desk. I'm very happy with the final result.

I use Sayonara's build in equalizer which happens to be just enough with this system and the environment I'm listening in, I could have used Pulse Audio EQ alternatively but that was not necessary. CDBurning application I use on this system is XFburn. (yep, still using CDs now and then and occasionally producing them myself too for personal use.) Streaming is not my kind of thing.

mymint18audio.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason I did not have much luck installing 18 on an Inspiron 530 machine. It eventually did install, but as I tried to do my tweaking and upgrading, it was later found to be unstable and went into a hard freeze.

During the initial install,a note flashed that the installer did not find the ACPI in my BIOS..Google indicated it found others with this same problem with this BIOS. This i guess may be a reason, however I do not know for sure.Dell in their wisdom failed to include this in their most recent BIOS.I tried several complete new installs with both Mate and Cinnimon (64bit)and eventually each would freeze at different points.One freeze was when I tried to open Mozilla Thunderbird and I had to do a hard reset.This suceeded in knocking out my email password for my local pop server. Some freezes would be days after the install for instance one freeze happened when downloading and installing Mint updates. After that freeze ,there was a mention of a HDD failure on several later attempted installs. I replaced the HDD to another and did get 18 to install even with the "No ACPI" indication.But when I tried to copy some home files from a USB stick from my other box it froze again. Each 18 install would not do the reboot after coping and installing 18 files.It would just sit there and eventually you would have to hard reset it.But after the Mint updates, it would shut down or restart properly.Maybe I just should have waited longer for 18.1 but I never really had any trouble like this Before. Anyway long story short, I put 17.3 back on and so far so good(fingers crossed).

It may well be my computer but I thought I would throw this out to those smarter than me.

jolphil

• Like 2