Photo

Upstairs...Downstairs

Yesterday, 03:24 PM

Now that I have my roof intact, it was time to head down to the basement and check out the next possible house capital expense - heating and cooling. Unlike the roof (shingles are curling dude...not good!!!) the situation with the furnace and A/C are more complicated. I get the system serviced every year so I took advantage of the fact the tech was here to quiz him on the longevity of my current hardware. His comments as he worked:
  • Well, the house builder didn't put in the best quality system. We don't sell these units anymore and if you don't look after them you probably are looking at a 10-year life - it's now going on 14.
  • Of course, you do look after it so that is a good sign you'll get a longer life.
  • Installation is important and looking at the tags I see this system was installed by the best tech in the company at the time. He is now a college HVAC instructor.
  • This furnace seems to be a particularly good example. The combustion test I ran is well within spec - no problems with the heat exchanger or burners - very clean.
  • The A/C evaporator coil looks very clean as well and no signs of leaks or corrosion. The condensing unit is getting old but a start kit was put on a few years ago and that makes it a lot easier on the compressor so that is good.
Bottom line. It's in good shape for the shape it's in. Call me in again next year and I'll re-evaluate. Probably worth planning to replace because this is a bottom of the line high-efficiency furnace and just about any new model will do a lot better,
So does that give you a warm and fuzzy feeling or what?

94 Views · 6 Replies ( Last reply by ebrke )

Photo

a slackware thread

Today, 10:13 AM

Posted by saturnian in Bruno's All Things Linux
Very interesting thread over at LinuxQuestions, "Why did you stop using Slackware?" (https://www.linuxque...are-4175636781/).

53 Views · 7 Replies ( Last reply by V.T. Eric Layton )

Photo

I Broke Reddit!

Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Posted by V.T. Eric Layton in Social Media
I love Reddit's 404 page. I just got it a few minutes ago. I guess they're having some technical difficulties.

Posted Image

62 Views · 1 Replies ( Last reply by securitybreach )

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 52 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS