No sound pclinuxos

irvdk

You didn't clue us in as to what sound card you have.
Just finding that out..It a ESS Technology es1969 Solo-1 audiodriveIt saying your current card use the ALSA "Snd-es1938 driver which is the default Edited by irvdk

it should be recognized by linux that essolo1 (that's the same). A couple of weeks ago I had troubles with my "disaster machine" (that's another story) but I remember that the sound on that one (which also uses a essolo 1 =ess1969 = ess1938) was recognized and it fully worked. You might try a knoppix live cd to see how that one recognizes it.BTW : which distro are you using?Are the sliders all up to the max?

Edited by striker

it should be recognized by linux that essolo1 (that's the same). A couple of weeks ago I had troubles with my "disaster machine" (that's another story) but I remember that the sound on that one (which also uses a essolo 1 =ess1969 = ess1938) was recognized and it fully worked. You might try a knoppix live cd to see how that one recognizes it.BTW : which distro are you using?Are the sliders all up to the max?
Im using PCLinuxOS

Click on Multimedia -> Sound -> Kmix. Once you get the speaker on the task bar click on it and at the bottom should say Mixer. Click on Mixer which will open up the settings. You want to make sure the green buttons are lighted up and the volume bars are turned up.

Click on Multimedia -> Sound -> Kmix. Once you get the speaker on the task bar click on it and at the bottom should say Mixer. Click on Mixer which will open up the settings. You want to make sure the green buttons are lighted up and the volume bars are turned up.
Ok now I think we are getting somewhere!!! I inserted a music cd in the drive...I just heard a system crash sound and I got an error msg....CDRom read or access error make sure you have permission to /dev/hdc

might be a permission thing then in fstab. Hold on until someone else chimes in with more knowledge about pclinuxos than I have. (And don't mess around with fstab without knowing what you're doing.)

might be a permission thing then in fstab. Hold on until someone else chimes in with more knowledge about pclinuxos than I have. (And don't mess around with fstab without knowing what you're doing.)
OK Got a few more things I need help with...interested? Edited by irvdk

OK, I've got a little problem over here : a friend of mine has the pclinuxos machine at his place incl. the P92 cd; So What I did was loading the P7 livecd on a spare machine, so you have to bear with me a little.Here we go:Start > KDE Control Center > System > Login Manager >tab ConvenienceYou should have the ability to click the Administrator tab, do so. Fill in the admins password. Once as root in the convenience tab, you'll see the automatic logon. I believe you'll know what to do by now?

OK, I've got a little problem over here : a friend of mine has the pclinuxos machine at his place incl. the P92 cd; So What I did was loading the P7 livecd on a spare machine, so you have to bear with me a little.Here we go:Start > KDE Control Center > System > Login Manager >tab ConvenienceYou should have the ability to click the Administrator tab, do so. Fill in the admins password. Once as root in the convenience tab, you'll see the automatic logon. I believe you'll know what to do by now?
Get this far Start > KDE Control Center > System > Login Manager > and then it spins, but nothing happens It fixed...I forgot this computer is very slow..Thanks..Im going to reboot and see what happens Edited by irvdk

Have the same here, just a 500mHz box.... see you later after the reboot
I had some information on the sound sytem that I copy and pasted to Kate. I want to save it to a floppy. When I go to save as and then select floppy I get an error "could not start program "mdir" Ensure the mtools pgk is installed correctly

Hi IvrWhere have you been ? Was missing you ! . . . So you are actually running PCLos now ??Okay, for the sound: Kmix is where it mostly happens in PCLos . . you fiddle with the sliders and it should be okay.For the floppy: Make sure you make a text file first that you save on your desktop . . then open the "devices" icon you see on your desktop, place a floppy in the drive and after that click on the floppy icon in the "devices" window . . .that should open up the floppy and you should be able to drag the textfile on to the floppy-folder.:) Bruno

Hi IvrWhere have you been ? Was missing you ! . . . So you are actually running PCLos now ??Okay, for the sound: Kmix is where it mostly happens in PCLos . . you fiddle with the sliders and it should be okay.For the floppy: Make sure you make a text file first that you save on your desktop . . then open the "devices" icon you see on your desktop, place a floppy in the drive and after that click on the floppy icon in the "devices" window . . .that should open up the floppy and you should be able to drag the textfile on to the floppy-folder.:thumbsup: Bruno
Hey I wa sin the wrong forum!!! :) I was in the new one.I now have sound from the system but not from the cd player. I think the synth device is not enabled in config. I am reading about the floppy....

Hey I wa sin the wrong forum!!! :) I was in the new one.I now have sound from the system but not from the cd player. I think the synth device is not enabled in config. I am reading about the floppy....
LOL . . . I think you were in the PCLos forum :thumbsup: . . . . . Well, they are friendly and knowledgable people . . so nothing wrong with that my friend !!Anyway . . . for the CD player there is a special slider in the Kmix under "input" ;):icon8: Bruno

LOL . . . I think you were in the PCLos forum :) . . . . . Well, they are friendly and knowledgable people . . so nothing wrong with that my friend !!Anyway . . . for the CD player there is a special slider in the Kmix under "input" ;):thumbsup: Bruno
Ok all th esliders are up and teh green lites on. When I install a cd into the player and shut it I get the following:CD-ROM read or access errorplease make sure that you have access permission to:/dev/hdc

Okay IrvCan you show me the results of these 3 commande in a terminal:

# ls -al /mnt/cdrom# ls -al /dev/hdc# cat /etc/fstab

UPDATE:Irv . . I think I have a better idea:Let us do a little test here . . . . Go to the (start)menu --> Multiumedia --> sound --> KsCDand start the KsCD program . . . . . next you press the "eject" button on the KsCD windowQuestion 1: Does the cdrom pop open ???If yes, put in a CD and press the "eject" button again . . and next press the "play" buttonQuestion 2: Does this make the CD start to play ?Question 3: Do you get sound of the CD ?:) Bruno

Okay IrvCan you show me the results of these 3 commande in a terminal:
# ls -al /mnt/cdrom# ls -al /dev/hdc# cat /etc/fstab

UPDATE:Irv . . I think I have a better idea:Let us do a little test here . . . . Go to the (start)menu --> Multiumedia --> sound --> KsCDand start the KsCD program . . . . . next you press the "eject" button on the KsCD windowQuestion 1: Does the cdrom pop open ???If yes, put in a CD and press the "eject" button again . . and next press the "play" buttonQuestion 2: Does this make the CD start to play ?Question 3: Do you get sound of the CD ?:) Bruno

start the KsCD program=I get the same error when the program starts.../dev/hdcIrv Edited by irvdk

You know what it is Ivr . . . when you put a music CD in the drive you do NOT open the /devhdc . . . nor the CDrom icon in "decives" When you put in a CD you should not touch anything and let the autoplay start the CD-player . . Maybe you should reboot, so you can start from scratch and do exactly what I described above:1). Go to the (start)menu --> Multiumedia --> sound --> KsCD2). and start the KsCD program . . . . . next you press the "eject" button on the KsCD window3). put in a CD and press the "eject" button again . . and next press the "play" buttonSo please reboot and try it that way . . and then tell me exactly where you get stuck.:) Bruno

??? Is this a problem in PCLos or Mepis ??:D Bruno
Morning Bruno,I really like this distro pclinuxos that you turned me onto. Now comes the learning curve.I have file on my desktop created in Kate. I want to move it to a floppy, but no floppy icon on the desktop. I opened the my computer icon and then the storage media folder and dragged the floppy drive icon to the desktop.I told it to copy here. I receive the following: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device. What am I doing wrong?IrvFirst post from Linux !!! :hmm:

Morning Bruno,I really like this distro pclinuxos that you turned me onto. Now comes the learning curve.I have file on my desktop created in Kate. I want to move it to a floppy, but no floppy icon on the desktop. I opened the my computer icon and then the storage media folder and dragged the floppy drive icon to the desktop.I told it to copy here. I receive the following: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device. What am I doing wrong?IrvFirst post from Linux !!! :hmm:
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=173770

I really like this distro pclinuxos that you turned me onto. Now comes the learning curve.I have file on my desktop created in Kate. I want to move it to a floppy, but no floppy icon on the desktop.I opened the my computer icon and then the storage media folder and dragged the floppy drive icon to the desktop.I told it to copy here. I receive the following: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device. What am I doing wrong?++++++++++++Well -- a couple hints that might help. I think that when you tried to drag the floppy icon to the desktop, what linux though you wanted to do was to copy files from the floppy to the desktop -- probably not what you intended. Is the diskette formatted? Might need to do that first; if you right-click on the floppy icon, then Actions in the window that pops up, you can select format floppy -- might as well choose Dos, at least for now. That finished, try doing the reverse; drag the file on your desktop over to the floppy icon, and choose 'copy here' when the box appears -- that should do it. OR, you can right-click a file, choose Copy, then right-click the device [floppy] and choose Paste -- which will do the same thing. If you right-click on the desktop [empty area] and then choose Configure Desktop, then Behavior, then Device Icons, you can make icons for the devices you check appear directly on the desktop -- which might be handier. Bear in mind also the sizes of things -- you can usually only put 1.4mb onto a diskette. If you right-click on a file, you can choose Properties, which will show you the size.