Is there anyway to have a PC-like virtual drive on OSX?

jrock

I need to give me wife access to a directory on my Windows PC. I've done the "Connect to Server", but if I restart my Windows machine (which I shut down every night), then it's gone from her desktop. I need an easy way for her to be able to access this directory, without having her go through the "Connect to Server" everytime.

Once it is connected (your directory), click on it , hold CMD+Option key and drag to your desktop.That will create shortcut or "Alias" as it's called in Mac world.From now on, your wife just double click that shortcut and it mounts.I hope this resolves your problem :)

Zox,Thank you! that did the trick! My wife's mac just gets cooler and cooler.one other quick one, if you're checking back. Will it take a good bit of networking-know-how to assign a fixed ip address to her machine? We restart once in a while and it gets a new address almost every time.

My wife's mac just gets cooler and cooler.
Pretty soon, you'll want one. Trust me! I'm guessing both your PC and your wife's Mac are connected to a router? Does the router have DHCP enabled? On my home network, I've got DHCP turned off and fixed IPs assigned to each box. To set a fixed IP, click on System Preferences. From there, click on Network, which should bring up a window showing Built-in Ethernet. Click on Configure (you might have to click on the lock in the lower left). Under TCP/IP you can select Manually and then enter the IP address you want. You'll also need to fill in the subnet mask and router IPs. I've also got my DSL provider's DNS server IPs listed. Works like a charm.

bjf123 took care of you.It is as easy as any other system or even easier.I bought macbook for my wife and I am waiting for Leopard to buy Macmini, which will turn into home media centre once I am able to buy Macbook Pro.I love it.It will match nicely my Wii! ;)

Thank you very much!Yes, I am planning on buying a Mac for me soon. I'm also waiting for Leopard. I think I'm going MacBook Pro first, then as I get rid of my old PC's, I'll buy a used MacMini for more mac fun!My last two windows machines have served me well, especially this last machine. But I've been waiting for a Mac for a long time and now that we can run both OS's on one machine, I'm ready to move over (need to check my work on a Win/IE)Thanks again!