CPU repairs ??

abarbarian

abarbarian

Anyone clever enough to mend a a cpu with a missing pin or so ??????

If anyone can do such a thing I have a giveaway of a almost new AMD FX 8350 Black Edition.

Normally I am very careful with hardware and have successfully lapped several cpu's to a mirror finish in the past. Fitting the cpu to a new mobo I managed to bend four pins, two quite badly. I did manage to straighten the pins after several hours of very patient manipulation but one pin finally parted company with the cpu.

So if anyone thinks they have a chance of repairing the cpu they can have it for free.

:breakfast:

Interestingly, a credit card is just the perfect tool to slide between the rows of pins an an AMD cpu to straighten them if they are out of line.

Hello,

I've used the credit card method, as well as a mechanical pencil with the lead removed to straighten pins.

For a missing pin, though, maybe getting a sewing needle or pin, inserting it into the socket and cutting it flush (or nearly flush) so it can complete circuit for the broken pin pad?

Another possibility might be to find a jeweler, watchmaker or goldsmith in your area and see if they might attempt repairs.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Capt.Crow

Aryeh when you mentioned 'jewelers ' I thought of a gold ear stud . The pin on one of those may be the right thickness and fit the socket hole point up that way the point is sure to make a good connection . Might be a little hard to get it back out of the socket if changing the cpu at a later date. though .

abarbarian

Good tips and some creative solutions on offer guys. My eyesight is not up to doing such fine work though as I can hardly see if there is one pin missing or more than that. Hence the offer to donate the cpu to anyone who could do the fix.

Also I think the mobo I have is faulty, it could be operator error, anywhich way I do not have the time or inclination to spend more time on the problem. :whistling: