The first distro with kernel 2.6.0 ( test 3 ) !!

Bruno

From Distrowatch

A new beta release of Turbolinux has been announced. Turbolinux 9 Workstation, code name "Suzuka" is the first Linux distribution shipping with Kernel 2.6.0 (test3) as its default Linux Kernel. This release seems like a response to a revival of interest in desktop Linux in Japan with strong emphasis on Windows-like look and feel and interoperability with other Microsoft applications (the boxed product will ship with Sun's StarSuite) as well as seemless integration of the product into mixed OS network environments. If you can read Japanese, the release announcement has further details. The beta release is available for free download, but as with all recent Turbolinux releases, registration (name and email address) is required. The interest is high, so expect the downloads of the two ISO images of 648MB and 444MB respectively to be painfully slow. The final release of Turbolinux 9 Workstation is expected to ship in October.
Download ( very slow and in Japaneese . . down the page there are two boxes to fill in your required Name and Email address, you will get an email with ftp address and code ) Have fun !! :lol: BrunoPS: I managed to get logged in on the FTP site . . . send me a PM if you have troubles getting there.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BarryB

• teacher

• Bruno

• trigggl

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the perfect person for this. My granddaughter is planning to major in Eastern Languages and has been studying Japanese on her own for two years. She seems to be able to read and write quite a bit. I think I will put her to the test and convince her to install it on her computer! Possibly another convert???? :lol:

I have the perfect person for this. My granddaughter is planning to major in Eastern Languages and has been studying Japanese on her own for two years.  She seems to be able to read and write quite a bit.  I think I will put her to the test and convince her to install it on her computer!  Possibly another convert???? :(
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd like you as my grandma.... :lol:

I have the perfect person for this. My granddaughter is planning to major in Eastern Languages and has been studying Japanese on her own for two years.  She seems to be able to read and write quite a bit.  I think I will put her to the test and convince her to install it on her computer!  Possibly another convert???? :(
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'd like you as my grandma.... :lol:
PeachyI'm with you....I alway said "She has a evil side :( "But the Distro sounds interesting...hmmm i'll have to try. B) :(

Barry the distro itself is in English . . if you have problems logging in . . . I will send you a PM( anyone else interested in the ftp login and password ?? ):lol: Bruno

BarryYou should have seen the email they send me !! Was quiet a puzzle to figure out the login info ! :lol: :( :lol:There are 4 ISO´s on the site . . you only need the 2 first, not the two labeled as ¨sources¨ !!So these:suzuka-0818-disk1.isosuzuka-0818-dis21.isoNot these:suzuka-0818-source1.isosuzuka-0818-source2.isoThe checksums are labeled the same.:( Bruno

BarryYou should have seen the email they send me !! Was quiet a puzzle to figure out the login info ! B) :( :lol:There are 4 ISO´s on the site . . you only need the 2 first, not the two labeled as ¨sources¨ !!:lol: Bruno
Oh My...I bet that was a trip!!! was the e-mail in japanese?...I would have been totally lost.....I have a hard enough time with my native english :( Got it on the CD's I need...And Thanks

Yep Barry it was in Jananeese . . I tried for fun to copy it on the forum . . . but the forum-software didn´t want to print Japaneese :lol:Anyway I had fun with it . . I just like puzzling !:lol: Bruno

Man...That is just tooooo crazy (even for me B) :( ) I glad you could figure it out..I would have just sat and cried....Come to think it..I did that in english classes too!!! :lol: ) :( Kidding , usually I can figure out the french and german sites (ok almost usually)

mm, I'm not sure if I'd like you as my grandma....  :lol:
Don't you think it would be perfect. She is always looking for ways to practice her Japanese. You can only watch so many movies in Japanese and read so many books in Japanese. A web site or email would be a fun challenge!
I'm with you....I alway said "She has a evil side
I don't know why you always say that. I really don't have an evil side. She just translated for me enough that I submitted, got my response back and working on connecting. However, I keep getting an error 530 on the FTP site.

JuliaI´ll send you the info . . you have to use Konqueror . . . ( login to ftp works best in Konqueror ):lol: Bruno

Tell me how it is! I'm downloading right now in WS_FTP95.You just have to give the username and password listed in the email instead of anonymous. I have to look up the numeric address from the .com address to bypass the ISA Proxy server at work. Only something you would want to do after business hours when payroll(the largest complainers) goes home.My download rate is still about half of what it should be.Perhaps I can use my small hard drive for this one. It's about 2Gig.

GregIt is a beta with a test kernel ( double test version ) . . . . indeed better put it on a seperate drive !! ( you have had enough troubles with the Mandrake to be risking dammaging it ;) )B) Bruno

Download ( very slow and in Japaneese . . down the page there are two boxes to fill in your required Name and Email address, you will get an email with ftp address and code )
You weren't kidding when you said it was slow!At my current rate I'll be done downloading the first disk three hours from now......tomorrow.It will probably speed up about 8 hours from now or whenever their business hours are over.Well, going home. ;)

Am I the only one losing the fight with this server... ;) Of course a flock of penguins going for a new disto just might be the problem

Barry,Really testing this new 2.6.0 kernel . . what penguin would let that occasion pass . . . sure we´re ALL downloading this little miracle from Japan . . . but they have no mirrors and it´s all from the same server ;)( have been searching for mirrors )B) Bruno

Yea...I figured the rush was on...LOL.. B) ;) Darn and I wanted to be the first in my block.....)probably still will be..I'm the only linux user around here B) :D

Quint,Is your problem logging in or getting to the site ??B) Bruno
Hi Bruno,At first, couldn't connect (was using MF), then read what you & Julia said: use Konqueror...then I connected OK, but it keeps giving me the message "maximum number of connections", and I can't get to d/l...yes, I found the "username & password", but no luck yet...I won't give up though. ;)

It does sometimes take closing and starting koqueror over again and a bit of fiddling Quint, but uptill now I have managed to login 3 times . . .also just now. But like I say, if it fails you have to completely close konqueror and open it again.I admid it´s hard to get in !!;) Bruno

It is three hours later and I have been to dinner and the movies and back. I left at 4% and I am up to 23%. I had hopes of starting disk 2 now. Oh well. You know what we all hope to be doing this weekend. I can let it run all night and start the new one before I leave for work in the morning. Hopefully tomorrow I will get disc 2 done and be ready for an install on Saturday. Poor Bruno will be gone on vacation and miss all the fun..... :D :( :(

I've have started the d/l 4 times and have been booted four times :( .. I think I'll play with DSL for awhile and chill...already got caught talking to computer...family worried :D ...I thought everybody did that...ok..maybe it was the choking the monitor they thought a bit extreme :blink:Julia...wait a minute...YOU went to the movies and gave me grief about Hobbits.... :(

I went to the movies and dinner BUT my computer was busy trying to download. I am up to a whopping 25% at 6.4 kb/s. :D I figured it would not download any faster with me watching. In fact, I am going to walk away from my computer right now and go to sleep. I bet it is still downloading in 6 hours when I get up to leave for work. :(