HyperThreading Problem

allen6

I've gone round and round with Dell with no luck so hope someone has a solution. I've got a Dell 4550 3.06Gb P4, Windows XP Home Edition. The PC came with hyper-threading enanabled and working, the 2 processors where shown in the Device Manager, all was well. I un-abled hyper-threading via the BIOS to see if there really was any speed difference. WhenI then went back to the BIOS to re-enable hyper-threading, although I could select to enable, the system would not restart. It would load only as far as the XP logo screen and never get beyond. I wrote Dell and they said to upgrade the BIOS, I upgraded the BIOS to A05, but still cannot re-enable Hyper-threading. No matter how many times I contact Dell all I am told is to go to the BIOS, they do not seem to understand that does not work. Anyone have any ideas on a fix?thanks very much.

Guest ComputerBob

My advice would be to call Dell (instead of writing), and ask to speak to a supervisor or someone else who's in charge. Calmly explain the problem to them and tell them that you have thus far found their tech support to be unacceptable. You paid for tech support when you bought your high-end computer from Dell. Dell is your first and best line of defense when you have problems. Don't let them patronize you, and don't take "no" for an answer. Your problem is "their problem," but it sounds like you're going to have to remind them of that fact and make them support you. Keep bugging them and speaking to people higher in their company until they either solve your problem or replace your computer with one that works.

Guest ThunderRiver

HyperThreading is just a title that Intel uses to fool ya really. The performance of one P4 CPU with HyperThreading enabled is about the same as P4 CPU (shown as one CPU). If you have dual Xeon, the performance is definitely much better than P4 CPU with hyperthreading