Back Up, You Fool!

raymac46

Up early today to feed Mr.Oates and my wife is in Ottawa babysitting so I thought it's a good time to back up my data files onto my segregated hard drive. That's the one I don't connect to any PC except to back up.

So I fired up the backup program plugged in the hard drive and...nothing. Can't find the image. This is not good when you're doing an Incremental backup. Windows 10 strikes again.

So I dive into Disk Manager. No backup drive present. Reboot Windows. No joy. Reseat the USB plug in the drive enclosure. Nope. Try all the USB ports in the front of my tower. Zilch.

Then I look carefully at the other end of the cable and note there is a second USB connector there. You know the one that actually carries the data and doesn't just power up the drive motor. I plug that in and Whoop! There it is! :w00tx100:

Backup now complete. Duh! :bounce:

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 2

I have to do some slumming from time to time. I have a couple of train sims that are Windows only - also my Income Tax. :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well the income tax could probably run with wine or virtualbox but yeah, games would be an issue. I wonder if some of those are available via steam for Linux

Up early today to feed Mr.Oates . . .

Who's Mr. Oates?

Glad your backup is okay.

lion_zpsx6b7tbtw.jpg

He's a cementhead but cute.

• Like 3

Well the income tax could probably run with wine or virtualbox but yeah, games would be an issue. I wonder if some of those are available via steam for Linux

My particular games aren't on Steam for Linux and I don't know how well the Netfile feature would work in Wine. I'd hate to do all the tax stuff and end up not being able to file my return.

V.T. Eric Layton

Mr. Oates looks like a GOOD BOY! I like him and haven't even officially met him. :)

• Like 1

It was exactly one year ago today that our beloved Sammy went to the Rainbow Bridge. Mr. Oates joined the family a month or so after that. Smart, talkative, boundless energy, loves my wife to pieces. He's ticking all the right boxes.

• Like 2

securitybreach

My particular games aren't on Steam for Linux and I don't know how well the Netfile feature would work in Wine. I'd hate to do all the tax stuff and end up not being able to file my return.

Yeah but running windows in virtualbox would take care of that if wine couldnt'

V.T. Eric Layton

It was exactly one year ago today that our beloved Sammy went to the Rainbow Bridge. Mr. Oates joined the family a month or so after that. Smart, talkative, boundless energy, loves my wife to pieces. He's ticking all the right boxes.

I remember this, Ray. You posted about it here somewhere when it happened.

One of my ol' girls (18 years old) seems to be winding down the last couple weeks. I hope I'm wrong, but I knew when I got her that I'd one day have to say goodbye. It's just the way it is.

• Like 3

I remembered Sammy passing, but I apparently missed the name of the new feline gracing your profile. Because of the name I wondered if maybe you were getting up early to feed your horse. :oops:

Edited by ebrke

I remembered Sammy passing, but I apparently missed the name of the new feline gracing your profile. Because of the name I wondered if maybe you were getting up early to feed your horse. :oops:

Actually Mr. Oates was already named Oats when we got him from the shelter but we decided he'd be better off as Warren Oates, John Oates, or maybe Captain Lawrence Oates from the ill fated Scott Antarctic expedition. He gets called Oatesy as much as anything.

• Like 3