Photo

So Many Distros - So Little Time

Today, 08:21 AM

Posted by raymac46 in Bruno's All Things Linux
What with trying to help with a few technical issues and just hearing about new distros I have done quite a bit of distro hopping lately - not much on the rails but in VirtualBox. I have tried out a fair number of the latest releases. So what's my conclusion? Here is my current list of distros worth installing in VBox or at the very least running on Live DVD:

1. Linux Mint 18.1 - this is still my #1 choice for a power desktop. Now that I have figured out the wifi issue and my AMD video card is working flawlessly, LM is a solid and polished O/S. I like the Cinnamon desktop as much as anything out there right now. Any Windows users will feel right at home.

2. MX-16 - great for a memory challenged 64 bit netbook. Xfce desktop is tweaked and quite lovely. Very stable.

3. Mageia 6 - this is going to be a great distro when released. The Plasma 5 desktop is wonderful but you can get GNOME if you want. Best RPM distro I've used.

4. Siduction - you get the bleeding edge experience with the comfort of Debian. I like the Xfce desktop best.

5. Manjaro - they've fixed my video card woes and their Xfce version is a real winner. Plus you get to use pacman.

6. AntiX - perfect if you've got an old 32 bit junker netbook. I use IceWM here.

7. Debian Stretch - I think this will be a real solid release and should fix the video card issues I had with Jessie. The Plasma desktop is very nice here as well.

8. PCLOS - after the screwups I had with this distro back in the day I never would have thought it would ever be on this list. But although it is still a mish-mosh of RPM and Debian it is a pretty nice distro. I installed the MATE desktop and if you like the old school :Linux it might be worth a try.

13 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

40% off TurboTax Deluxe 2016 Tax Software Federal & State - Deal A

Yesterday, 08:31 PM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

View the full article

30 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Coming Soon: Windows 10 Creators Update

Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Posted by Corrine in All Things Windows
What has been referred to as Redstone2 or the Creators Update for Windows 10, Build 1703, is expected to be released next month.  The rumored release date is April 11, although that has not been confirmed.  

The articles below provide two different perspectives of what to expect in the update:

Get ready for the Windows 10 Creators Update

Windows 10 Creators Update: An overview of the new features and improvements on the way

55 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

0 members, 63 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Google, Bing, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS