Skype for Android on a netbook

macdunn

I have Android install on an ASUS eeePC netbook for testing purposes.

I want to download and install the Android version of Skype as well but every 'marketplace' requires that I have a phone account even though this is not on a smartphone (and I don't have a smartphone with a cell account, only an older cellphone/account).

Any ideas on how to get Skype for Android on my Android-enabled netbook?

This is strictly for testing purposes. I have other machines with Windows and Skype as well as Linux with Skype.

TIA!

Android market says you need 3G or WiFi - https://market.android.com/details?id=com.skype.raider

Topic moved to Mobility forum.

Hi,

Well, sure, my netbook, ASUS eeePC, has WiFi. How else do I connect to an Android Marketplace!

Thanks for moving this to the 'proper' forum. I am not sure if it is a Mobility topic or Linux (since Android is Google's customisation of Linux).

Just knew Microsoft would screw things up with Skype. Requiring a phone number or 3g is not right.

My sentiments as well. But, I do not consider this, for once, a problem caused by MS since I have been trying to get Skype for Android on my test machine since last August before the sale to the Boys from Redmond was completed (approved by the FCC).

Guest LilBambi

Ah, ok. Glad to hear it wasn't due to the change in ownership.

I don't know why they are requiring it for Android anyway. Don't they know there can be non-phone Android devices?

I have Skype on my iPod Touch and of course I have no phone number on that because it's not a phone.

I really don't get it. At CNET Download.com site, the requirements for Skype for Android say only that:

Data plan or WiFi connection required

I have Android install on an ASUS eeePC netbook for testing purposes.

I want to download and install the Android version of Skype as well but every 'marketplace' requires that I have a phone account even though this is not on a smartphone (and I don't have a smartphone with a cell account, only an older cellphone/account).

Any ideas on how to get Skype for Android on my Android-enabled netbook?

This is strictly for testing purposes. I have other machines with Windows and Skype as well as Linux with Skype.

TIA!

Is this a custom ROM you are dealing with? Or is it a tablet build? I would think that Skype would work on any tablet without a cellular connection, but there must be something in the build of Android that would be causing it to ignore that phone requirement in the Android market.

I hope the above makes sense. ;)

Adam

Just knew Microsoft would screw things up with Skype. Requiring a phone number or 3g is not right.

I am about 99% certain that it is not a requirement set by Microsoft. I bet it is more that there is something goofy with macdunn's build of Android.

securitybreach
Is this a custom ROM you are dealing with? Or is it a tablet build? I would think that Skype would work on any tablet without a cellular connection, but there must be something in the build of Android that would be causing it to ignore that phone requirement in the Android market.

I hope the above makes sense. ;)

Adam

I am about 99% certain that it is not a requirement set by Microsoft. I bet it is more that there is something goofy with macdunn's build of Android.

Yes, this should not have anything to do with the device at hand considering I had Skype installed on two different tablets with custom ROMS without any issues whatsoever. I also have Skype installed on my phone as well which has a custom rom. I know the phone would have a number but whenever I restore my phone, I do not have any cellular signal (inside my house) until after I install all of my apps over wifi.