eSata speed

lewmur

I've had a Sata III laptop HDD in a USB 3 external encloser for some time. But I recently bought a used laptop that had an eSata port so I decided to spend a few bucks and buy an eSata encloser and put the HDD in it. Worked out much better than I expected. The drive benchmarked as twice as fast as the internal drive. Sequential read/writes on the c:\ were about 35mb/sec and the e:\ about 75. Random on the c;\ rated 19mb and the e:\ 36.

Hello,

eSATA is a specification for the physical connection of the drive to the computer, not a new/different protocol, so everything runs at the same speed that an internal SATA connection would. Sadly, like FireWire, it's getting harder to find notebook computers with eSATA connectors built into them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have a esata sata 1.5GB external enclosure and a esata sat 6GB dock. Both work really well and the dock is as fast as an internal drive of similar quality.The enclosure is not as fast but much faster than usb 2.

Docks are great. I keep my drives in some coloured plastic sleeves and slot them in the dock when needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATA#eSATA

:fish:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

The biggest differences will be on the RPMs of the drive compared to the internal SATA drives inside the laptop which can be anywhere from 4200 to 5400 rpm and you can often get up to a 7200 rpm drive to go in an eSATA enclosure.