Christmas Sunset - Dec 25th!

Guest LilBambi

It's true, sonicdragon. They mentioned on the Screensavers (Tech TV show) that the European lander is due to land there and check for the presence of Methane in the atmosphere. There are others due to arrive soon, too!The Race to Mars

nlinecomputers

Wow it seems like that they had just launched them. Man the year went quick. Heck it feels like it was only yesterday that the shuttle blew apart. Hard to think that it has been almost a year now for all of this.

It's true, sonicdragon. They mentioned on the Screensavers (Tech TV show) that the European lander is due to land there and check for the presence of Methane in the atmosphere. There are others due to arrive soon, too!The Race to Mars
Nice link! Thanks.I was watching that show too. I thought they said that, but i wasn't really listening. Another very intesting thing they said was that the probe would be payed for if every tax payer bought a latte. That's an interesting way of looking at it ;)

Another very intesting thing they said was that the probe would be payed for if every tax payer bought a latte. That's an interesting way of looking at it  ;)
Us ordinary people can get awestruck by hearing the hundreds of millions of dollars that are spent but saying that sure does put it in perspective.

I seem to recall that our last two or three Mars attempts didn't fare too well.
Lol. I'm crossing my fingers that the scientists decided on either metrics or english, not both :whistling:

Shouldn't a space scientist be a bit more circumspect in his use of clichés?

Lead scientist Professor Colin Pillinger insisted that "it's not the end of the world".

Guest LilBambi

LOL! You may be right Jeber! <_ course the media is always trying to count chickens before they truly hatch.i say give time verify situation all this speculation.don you love how now considered be a shoestring budget i wouldn mind having like that>_

The £35m ($62m) probe should have landed at 0254 GMT on Christmas Day after a six-month flight.
All of these were costly American missions, unlike Beagle 2, which was put together in record time and on a shoestring budget.

nlinecomputers

It has a two year battery so assuming that it survived the landing and is simply setup in the wrong direction there is still a change that it may phone home. Also even though it hasn't singled yet doesn't mean it isn't able to accept commands. So they may be able to order it to reset it self and try again. Biggest problem is time lag and a short window every day for communicating with it. Once some of the other orbiters arrive that will improve somewhat.

The major cause for concern seems to be, the airbags..They failed the tests the 1st time when it was carried out in the US. The second time was OK, but its still a problem cause they need to be have the right pressure to survive the impact...A slight delay and bang, it will wreck Beagle...Anyway, what amazed me was that the data from the mars express actually takes 8.1 minutes to reach earth! I mean if u think about it, a lot can happen to data which is actually *travelling* for such a long time...The engineers behind this project are really cool..If the beagle doesnt make it, but I just hope it will, Mars express has a lot of work to do and they will be able to get a tonne of info from it...So, lets hope for the best. Btw, I think NASA has plans to send unmanned crafts to Mars in Jan 2004....ciao.

As evening approaches on Christmas, Dec. 25th, step outside and look west toward the setting sun.
Well darnit...I tried this, but it's raining so hard that I nearly drowned and had to swim for it to get back to the rear porch. I'm not a great swimmer, but I beat Bob the cat! B)

Guest LilBambi
Beagle2Mars Express
26 December 2003 Between 23:20 and 00:40 CET on 25/26 December, the 76-metre radio telescope dish at the Jodrell Bank Observatory, UK, attempted to detect a signal from the Beagle 2 lander. No signal was detected.On 26 December, NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter will carry out another pass of the landing site at 19:14 CET. This will be followed up by another sweep by Jodrell Bank early on the morning of 27 December, between 00:20 and 01:00 CET.While initial attempts to detect a signal from the tiny spacecraft have failed, further efforts are scheduled whenever possible during the next few days.
On the lighter side of the news ... Mars Express successfully in orbit!

Christmas Sunset (Science at Nasa)
As evening approaches on Christmas, Dec. 25th, step outside and look west toward the setting sun. Even before the sky turns completely dark you can see them: brilliant Venus and the crescent moon hanging together not far above the horizon--a beautiful sight.
:thumbsup:
Bright and clear in Oklahoma City on Christmas night. The sliver of the moon was bright and the dark area was faintly visible as well.Venus was extraordinarily bright. The first descriptive that pops into my head is crystalline.Beautiful. I love astronony! :(

We didn't have a clear night sky on Christmas Eve, but it was incredible last night. I've never seen Orion as beautiful as it was last night.

Guest LilBambi

Agent007, yes, I am very excited. I almost had forgotten about the original send off when they first took off because it was so long ago now! LOL!Really looking forward to this ... hope it works well this time. B)