PLF Media Sources

raymac46

When updating Mandriva 2008, what media sources do I need? I have not enabled any of the PLF sources I see in easyurpmi. Do I need those for MP3 ripping and play?

When updating you only need ( and should have active ) the *normal* distribution sources you get when you go to MCC --> Software Management --> Configure media sources and press the "add" button. Having the PLF sources active while updating could mess up your install.The PLF sources should only be active when you need software that is not available in the distribution sources. ( "lame" come to mind )Most of the software you need ( nvidia drivers and plugins for playing mp3 ) should be available in the distribution sources "non-free" section.B) Bruno

When updating you only need ( and should have active ) the *normal* distribution sources you get when you go to MCC --> Software Management --> Configure media sources and press the "add" button. Having the PLF sources active while updating could mess up your install.The PLF sources should only be active when you need software that is not available in the distribution sources. ( "lame" come to mind )Most of the software you need ( nvidia drivers and plugins for playing mp3 ) should be available in the distribution sources "non-free" section.:thumbsdown: Bruno
OK. A more specific question then. I am setting up Mandriva for my brother-in-law and his family to use. I am sure they'll want to be able to rip and encode MP3s. Do I need to install some codecs from PLF to make that work? They will not want to use OGG Vorbis or FLAC, I am positive of that.I'm used to doing this with Gstreamer plugins that include lame, so I would want to include lame or some other MP3 codec. Is Mandriva already set up to encode MP3s out of the box?I find that the media configuration/software management is a weak point with Mandriva. I had a hard time getting CUPS installed and a printer working and had to blow off all my media sources, go to Easyurpmi and get a command line text to reinstall them. Finally the printer works.I suppose the best thing would have been to install PCLOS, but Mandriva seems much more solid to me, once I get it configured for them.

The secret of Mandrivas repo set up isn't a secret at all, in previous releases up to and including 2007 IIRC it was. After that it's just going into MCC > Configure Media sources for Install and Update and then there are two possibilities;If there is/are repos already set (I've never seen this myself but I have seen one guy/gal posting there was something in there) I would kick them out and add the right ones myself.Second option: AFAIK there are no repos set by default so it's easy to hit the Add button and add the Distribution Sources and the Other ones you'll get offered. Do the first series and after that the series for the other sources. In fact you'll get the possibility to choose which server/location to use, now that's what I call service. No need to hunt around for them your self. :thumbsdown: And if you deem them to be slowly, just remove them and add some others from another location. Easy as pie.I think all other distros should take that as an example, with all their so called Control Centers which are often nothing more than a cheap (tried) copy of Mandrivas MCC of some own development which often doesn't work as advertised.I have never ever seen anything weak in MCC regarding adding packages ray, that includes CUPS. I think I have used printers on say more than 20 distros now, from Mandrake 8.2 up to and including Mandriva 2008 besides all those other distros.There have been some hick ups/glitches in CUPS packages from other distributors, but what software package is bug free ? I think none of them. All I can say Mandriva is usually reasonable fast in pushing out a corrected package which then will work like it should.

I am setting up Mandriva for my brother-in-law and his family to use. I am sure they'll want to be able to rip and encode MP3s. Do I need to install some codecs from PLF to make that work? They will not want to use OGG Vorbis or FLAC, I am positive of that.
If that is legal in your area yes it is possible. You'll need at least some known codecs installed (shoot, it's difficult to explain what and how without having to use the usual disclaimer in these cases) and we will be happy to assist when you're ready. :whistling:

One thing I would like to add is: Some of the US mirrors for Mandriva are not always up to date and/or well maintained . . . . that is why we always advise ( when using the "add" button and choosing a mirror from the list ) to use "The Netherlands - ftp.nluug" or the "France *coffee*" ( the French mirror with coffee in the name ). These 2 mirrors are the best in sync . . . and as I post updates here on the forum it is from "ftp.nluug".Now the mp3 thing: playback is no problem . . . . for encoding/ripping from CD, the only thing you might need is "liblame0" from PLF . . . . add the PLF sources using easyurpmi . . . pick the "free.fr" mirrors . . . and disable the source in the MCC as soon as you have "liblame0" installed.:thumbsdown: Bruno

I have never ever seen anything weak in MCC regarding adding packages ray, that includes CUPS. I think I have used printers on say more than 20 distros now, from Mandrake 8.2 up to and including Mandriva 2008 besides all those other distros
Thanks you guys for your advice. I have been able to install lame and after some study I managed to get KAudioCreator configured to rip and encode an MP3 with the proper name and in the proper location. I have removed the PLF sources now.I suppose my post about Mandriva being "weak" was in past due to the frustration in not being able to install CUPS and configure a simple HP 842C printer - something I've done many times in Ubuntu. After I removed all the media sources and reinstalled them with the University of Sherbrooke mirror here in Canada everything worked great.I am trying to fix up a machine for my brother-in-law and his family and anticipate everything I can because I shan't be there to install it for them. They are about as computer illiterate a couple as I can think of. I am pretty sure my brother-in-law is running a wireless network completely in the clear - not even WEP. My hope is that one of my nieces will become geeky enough to save them from disaster.They'll love the Mandriva GUI and wireless setup with Mandriva is pretty easy so that's why I'm investing the time and effort into getting it working properly.BTW what part of the Netherlands are you living in? I used to work for Unilever and spent quite a bit of time in Vlaardingen - near Rotterdam. I still have many friends in Holland.My last visit was only about 90 minutes in Schiphol on my way to and from the Mediterranean - that's only enough time to get some DE coffee. :thumbsdown:

After I removed all the media sources and reinstalled them with the University of Sherbrooke mirror here in Canada everything worked great.
Ray, forget the Sherbrooke mirrors...they're really slow at updating anything if/when they work at all. Stick with the French or nluug ones.

Ray, forget the Sherbrooke mirrors...they're really slow at updating anything if/when they work at all. Stick with the French or nluug ones.
nluug, surfnet (sister of nluug) and ftp.free.fr are good in my experiene. However, lately I use the french one and sometimes surfnet.

BTW what part of the Netherlands are you living in? I used to work for Unilever and spent quite a bit of time in Vlaardingen - near Rotterdam. I still have many friends in Holland.My last visit was only about 90 minutes in Schiphol on my way to and from the Mediterranean - that's only enough time to get some DE coffee. :thumbsdown:
most south west province near BelgiumUnilever is widely known over here. ;) , and that brand of coffee ... can't get enough of it. :whistling:

nluug, surfnet (sister of nluug) and ftp.free.fr are good in my experiene. However, lately I use the french one and sometimes surfnet.
I'm using the French one and it hasn't given me any trouble so I'll just stick with it.

Amsterdam . . . . best city there is ;) . . . My favorite coffee: Illy ;):whistling: Bruno
I love Amsterdam...except for the place near the Leidseplein where you can be run over by cars, bicycles and the tram - all within 5 meters and all at the same instant of time. :thumbsdown:

most south west province near BelgiumUnilever is widely known over here. :whistling: , and that brand of coffee ... can't get enough of it. :thumbsdown:
DE & pannekoeken - Eet Smakelijk!

:D Thanks ! I leave it to Urmas to post a picture of it.
A picture... OR:Kinderpannenkoek met suiker of stroop €4,50 Kinder verrassingsmenu (pannenkoek, ijsje en verrassing) €6,50 Pannenkoek naturel €4,95 Pannenkoek spek €5,95 Pannenkoek appel €5,75 Pannenkoek kaas €5,95 Pannenkoek rozijnen €5,75 Pannenkoek ham €5,95 Pannenkoek gember €6,40 Pannenkoek ananas €6,10 Pannenkoek spek en appel €6,50 Pannenkoek spek en uien €6,50 Pannenkoek spek en ham €6,50 Pannenkoek spek en kaas €6,50 Pannenkoek spek en rozijnen €6,50 Pannenkoek spek en ananas €7,00 Pannenkoek appel en rozijnen €6,50 Pannenkoek kaas, ham en uien €7,50 Pannenkoek kaas, spek en uien €7,50 Pannenkoek kaas en uien €6,50 Pannenkoek kaas en ananas €7,00 Pannenkoek kaas en appel €6,50 Pannenkoek kaas en ham €6,50 Boeren pannenkoek €7,50 Pannenkoek banaan €7,00 Pannenkoek gember en kaas €7,00 Pannenkoek perzik €7,00 B) :thumbsup:

Since I know from watching the food network that the Netherlands is famous for Pancakes, I figured Pannenkoek was pancake. So I went to an online translation for the rest. rozijnen = raisin? for spek I got lard now that can't be correct. I have nothing against lard. I come from a PA_Dutch background and the best baked goods are fried in lard. Yum, fauschnauts fried in lard (a type of donut but so much better than the mass produced ones). I can't imagine putting a dab of lard on a pancake. So, might this be pancakes with raisins in butter?

Edited by zlim

Hi Liz . . . the "spek" we talk about here can best be translated as very thin sliced "bacon" . . . ;)B) Bruno
Kaas en ham alstublieft...lekker!! :thumbsup: I did hear back from my brother-in-law and he does have a wireless router with WEP so at least some primitive protection is on his WLAN.I now have Mandriva 2008 set up with all the codecs, repos and updates + 5 user accounts and a root password, 500 MP3s. games, KOffice for the kids, wireless PCI card. I hope somebody appreciates all the work. I thank you all again for your advice.