Steam error in Arch Linux

Dr. J

I had this problem a few months back, but I never started a thread on it, because college exams were getting close (I switched over to Debian, where steam worked).

Now that I have time on my hands, I'm curious about the problem. I set up an Arch Linux VM, with Plasma 5 (The whole shabang) and installed steam. When I try to start it (from a terminal) I get this error:

libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Considering that this is probably a video deiver error, I'm not at all surprised I'm getting it here (I doubt VirtualBox guest additions' drivers are supported), but I had the same issue running natively with xf86-video-vesa and xf86-video-intel, and it had previously worked.

I already tried some possible solutions back then, which included puring Steam files $HOME and re-installing them, but this didn't change anything. Anyone got any ideas?

PS. I probably will switch back to Arch before my next year at college, whether I can get Steam to work or not... I miss the cutting edge side of things.

Edited by Dr. J

I ran into Steam not installing in Ubuntu 16. Forum answers said it will not install unless you have Nvidia video drivers installed first.

Thanks for the help,

I had a look at this when I had original problem, tried a couple of solutions but didn't get anywhere.

I ran into Steam not installing in Ubuntu 16. Forum answers said it will not install unless you have Nvidia video drivers installed first.

I've got Intel integrated graphics, so I doubt Nvidia would help unless it's something to do PhysX, but I doubt graphics acceleration is required.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=201417 I doubt steam will run very well in virtualbox as I it is running on virtual generic hardware. .

Right you are... I feel like I'm trying to recreate a tsunami in a fish tank :teehee: , although I did have Steam working in a Lubuntu VM at one point.

I guess I won't be able to do any real troubleshooting without a proper Arch install, but I'll wait until I've got my money's worth out of Borderlands 2 and Universe Sandbox.

Edited by Dr. J

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I suppose I've avoided this problem long enough. I installed steam on my new(ish) Arch setup and tried to launch it, with no success. The full transcript of the initial install and launch is here, if that's any use. I then paged through the links shared on this thread, but got nowhere. The most promising result came from disabling Steam runtime ($ STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam), after which steam installed itself and told me I was missing these libraries:

libXtst.so.6	   libXrandr.so.2	   libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0	  libpulse.so.0		 libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0

I found the 3 packages lib32-libxtst, lib32-libxrandr & lib32-libpulse in the multilib repo (64 bit versions from 'extra' were already installed), but didn't install those yet, as I am unsure of where to find the other libs. After this, launching steam normally again resulted in steam runtime being unpacked, but the same error then presented itself again. I'm currently using xf86-video-intel. Perhaps I was using vesa the last time it worked I will try that and update the thread as soon as I can. The only other option I can see is to track down the missing libs and ditch steam runtime.

Edited by Dr. J

Ok, installing xf86-video-vesa had no effect, so after a bit of digging in multilib I installed the following packages (and most of 'multilib' as dependancies):

lib32-libxtst | lib32-libxrandr | lib32-libpulse | lib32-gtk2 | lib32-gtk3

That resulted in this:

Could not load module 'vgui2_s.so'.

I intermtently tried 'steam --reset' but to no avail.

The error message above came with this link, which goes through basic troubleshooting if this is a runtime error. (I'm no longer using steam runtime, that's still giving me the same driver error.)

Edited by Dr. J

securitybreach

That module is not required anyway as I do not have it loaded either before or after starting steam. Also, how did you install Steam? Did you follow the wiki entry or did you simply use pacman to install it?

The reason I ask is that you should of already had all of those lib32 packages you listed in your last comment.

Just re-installed steam according to the wiki, but the problem still persists (now using runtime). I ran a search for the driver files and found them here:

==> sudo find / -name *swrast*
[sudo] password for gandalf:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so

Are these modules loaded, or would I need to do so manually? Would a symlink to wherever steam is searching for the files do the trick?

I have come across multiple solutions that suggest removing 'defective' libraries from steam istelf, but I've had lo luck with that.

securitybreach

I do not have those modules loaded

comhack@Cerberus ~ % lsmod | grep swrast_dri
comhack@Cerberus ~ % 

Although I do have those same swrast files as well:

1 comhack@Cerberus ~ % locate swrast
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so
/usr/lib32/xorg/modules/dri/swrast_dri.so

Related possibly? https://bbs.archlinu...c.php?id=193802

Ok, off to my side job till this afternoon.

Nothing yet... I've actually tried to stay away from the computer for a while (maybe it's just paranoia, but I think I can feel my eyesight starting to fade :blink:).

I came across this when the problem first arose. Sadly nothing mentioned solved anything, I've got a funny feeling there are many causes to this problem.

I'm considering changing distribution again, to something that requires less attention in general. I think I may draw up a list of reasons to stay and reasons to change (I've heard some good things about Xubuntu 16.04), although this problem will probably be the defining factor. I'm not quite ready to let go of my inner gamer just yet.

securitybreach

But what I do not get is that it is a very straightforward process. I did not do any special on various machines and every just works fine. Intel, AMD and Nvidia GPUs installed without a hitch. I only use the machine with the Nvidia GPU but I tested it on two other machines to try to replicate your issue and they all worked without a hitch.

You didn't skip over any part of the wiki entry, did you?

securitybreach

If I were you, I would completely remove steam and its deps. Then reinstall steam and follow the wiki instructions to install and set it up.

pacman -Rns steam

Just tried that, nothing has changed. I did as the wiki said, and the problem continues. This is really starting to confuse me. The first time I installed steam, I hadn't even read the wiki, but everything worked without a hitch. Then, all of a sudden, this started, and steam hasn't worked since (on Arch, I had no problems on Debian)

On a side note, Steam works in Xubuntu (Virtualbox) after the 'defective library' fix I came across a lot while researching this problem, although the error message was different in this case.

But what I do not get is that it is a very straightforward process. I did not do any special on various machines and every just works fine.

I'm convinced computers have a little dormant gremlin hidden inside that do this. I've even had cases on my own computer where I'm sure I did exactly the same thing I did last time but some different result occurs.

Case in point - Capt.Crow and Dr.J's experience with the Medion camera on Debian. Same distro, same camera, different result,

• Like 1

I concur. I figured I'd give it one last try, and found the 'dodgy file' that caused the problem in the Xubuntu VBox and mv'd it to a new name. After this, steam installed, but then ran into the error again. Steam had given me two versions of the file in question (libstdc++.so.6, by the way), but moving these had no effect...)

securitybreach

I concur. I figured I'd give it one last try, and found the 'dodgy file' that caused the problem in the Xubuntu VBox and mv'd it to a new name. After this, steam installed, but then ran into the error again. Steam had given me two versions of the file in question (libstdc++.so.6, by the way), but moving these had no effect...)

What was the exact error message you got this time around?

Same as before. Here's the full one (just copied from the pastebin link above)...

libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Anyhow, I downloaded and installed Elementary OS (DEB/Ubuntu based) today, ran a full dist-upgrade to the latest stable release, installed steam and it ran without a problem. I'm not entirely sure if I like the OS yet, but I'll be running it for a while, I guess. It was actually recommended to me by a friend, after which I gave it a quick spin in VirtualBox, and subsequently recommended it to another friend, who's also a ''Steamer', and has been using it ever since, so I guess it's all good here... (I can live with the lack of Arch for now)

• 8 months later...

I know this is kind of old but perhaps you don't have steam-native-runtime installed, it's part of the multilib repository. I had the same problem and installing that fixed it.

sudo pacman -S steam-native-runtime

Edited by cercos

securitybreach

I know this is kind of old but perhaps you don't have steam-native-runtime installed, it's part of the multilib repository. I had the same problem and installing that fixed it.

sudo pacman -S steam-native-runtime

Welcome to the forums cercos, nice to have you.. :clap:

BTW, I run steam-native all the time on Arch but I have never installed the runtime. Do you know what the runtime provides over just running steam-native via the steam package?

I see that the description says "Native replacement for the Steam runtime"but I thought that was essentially what running steam-native instead of just steam did?

In case you all do not know what steam-native provides......Steam is compiled on SteamOS which is a sort of Ubuntu variant. Because of this, some distros do not work as well with some games due to library locations, etc.. If you run into an issue, you can usually just run the steam-native executable instead of just steam to fix this.

Steam bundles its own libraries, they call it the runtime, and the native launcher disables this and uses system libraries.

On Arch specifically note that they use up to date packages in the multilib repo. That means with the native option you might encounter broken ABI libraries that games didn't expect. As such I probably wouldn't recommend using it or at least understand it is broken in concept.

To fix the normal steam probably read this: https://wiki.archlin..._runtime_issues

https://www.reddit.c...native/dbhp1tb/