dc file manager

saturnian

I've been using mainly SpaceFM for some years now. I like a dual-pane file manager that I can install on various computers without it bringing in any particular desktop environment. I noticed recently that SpaceFM had been moved to Arch AUR, I guess because it seems that SpaceFM's developement has ceased. So I started looking around; I figured I might as well start becoming more comfortable with mc (Midnight Commander), but then I stumbled upon Double Commander. After about a week, I'm actually liking DC more than SpaceFM. Didn't expect that to happen!

• Like 2

Hedon James

My workflow tends to revolve around the filemanager, so even thought I like a lightweight system, I prefer my filemanager to be "beefy" and versatile. I liked Nautilus before they started to "streamline" it, but they've nearly crippled it, IMO. I still like Caja and think that might be the best fit for me, in terms of an out-of-the-box experience.

But I have grown to REALLY dig the LXDE desktop and *box WMs, and PCManFM with the MadeBits custom action scripts is nearly on par with Caja, the way I'd use it:

https://madebits.github.io/#r/linux-pcmanfm-actions.md

With PCManFM recently adding the feature to create "custom actions" (similar to Thunar), that tipped the scales for me. Also available in PCManFM-QT for LXQT desktop. Just FYI...

Wow if there is one thing that separates you geeks from technical Plebes like myself it's in choosing a custom File Manager. :harhar:

I believe I used to have Nautilus but i don't even know what they call it in LM these days. I just checked and I think if you use Cinnamon it's Nemo. :bounce:

I've been using mainly SpaceFM for some years now. I like a dual-pane file manager that I can install on various computers without it bringing in any particular desktop environment. I noticed recently that SpaceFM had been moved to Arch AUR, I guess because it seems that SpaceFM's developement has ceased. So I started looking around; I figured I might as well start becoming more comfortable with mc (Midnight Commander), but then I stumbled upon Double Commander. After about a week, I'm actually liking DC more than SpaceFM. Didn't expect that to happen!

SFM was my favorite too.

https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/677

OmegaPhil commented on 28 Dec 2016

IG has effectively retired now so this project doesn't have a maintainer - are you using the next branch? SpaceFM seems to be stable here with next.

However it looks like someone has taken up the torch.

Teklad commented on 15 Feb

I just started using this recently. I'll be actively maintaining it on my github from here on out. It's a good project and I'd hate to see it go to waste.

Teklad commented on 16 Feb

I just pushed a commit which should correct that.... If you pull the latest from my master branch you should be able to use spacefm-installer normally without issues.

Teklad commented 29 days ago

I know a few of the crashes were related to accessing memory that simply didn't exist... but this was memory reads. I'll keep my computer up for a few days to a week or so with spacefm running to see if I can reproduce the crashes you get when running it for extended periods of time.

I actually found a python script which works to flush gdb output to a log in the event of a crash. If you could put the following in a file named my_check.py:

#!/bin/env python

def my_signal_handler (event):

if (isinstance(event, gdb.SignalEvent)):

log_file_name = "a.out.crash." + str(gdb.selected_inferior().pid) + ".log"

gdb.execute("set logging file " + log_file_name )

gdb.execute("set logging on")

gdb.execute("set logging redirect on")

gdb.execute("thread apply all bt full")

gdb.execute("q")

gdb.events.stop.connect(my_signal_handler)

gdb.execute("set confirm off")

gdb.execute("set pagination off")

gdb.execute("r")

gdb.execute("q")

You'll need to rebuild your SpaceFM installation using the following:

CFLAGS='-ggdb3' STRIP='!strip' ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

make && sudo make install

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime > /dev/null

sudo update-desktop-database -q

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -q -t -f /usr/share/icons/hicolor

sudo gtk-update-icon-cache -q -t -f /usr/share/icons/Faenza

After that, you'll need to restart your spacefm (Assuming you're in the folder with the previous created my_check.py):

gdb -q -x my_check.py --args spacefm --desktop

This should flush the crash output to a file within the same directory as my_check.py... that should give me some really useful information to fix the crash. :)

The above reads to me as though this brave chap is on the ball and seems dedicated to keeping the show on the road , at least for the moment.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My fav used to be Konqueror (KDE), but since shunning KDE since they went to version 4.x, I haven't used it. However, I do have KDE apps and libs installed on my Slack because I like to use K3b and a couple other KDE apps. Konquie is installed, but I'm just so use to my little Thunar these days that I don't need anything else.

I just got back to siduction Plasma 5 so happy to be in Dolphin land again. Excellent file manager with dual pane and tabs. Media preview in the Info side panel is great too.

Thunar in Xfce/MX-16 worked ok but had a few annoying quirks that Dolphin doesn't have. I could not do multi-select with the mouse, always needed Shift or Ctl keys. Columns would default to too wide for the window needing horizontal scroll. Could not "Select None", needed to "Select All" and "Invert Selection".

SFM was my favorite too.

https://github.com/I...cefm/issues/677

Thanks for this link! I'm glad to see that someone wants to try to keep the project alive. I haven't uniinstalled SpaceFM, but right now I'm feeling that Double Commander is a better fit for me. One thing I don't see in "DC" that I've used a lot in SpaceFM is a menu option for opening a root window (File > Root Window in SpaceFM). Launching gksu doublecmd or something is no big deal, though. Some people frown upon using a GUI application for root operations, but whatever.

My fav used to be Konqueror (KDE), but since shunning KDE since they went to version 4.x, I haven't used it.

I just got back to siduction Plasma 5 so happy to be in Dolphin land again. Excellent file manager with dual pane and tabs. Media preview in the Info side panel is great too.

Konqueror used to be my #1, back in the KDE 3.x days. When Dolphin was new, at first I thought it was promising but not all that great, so I kept using Konqueror; but Dolphin matured and I found myself using that most of the time, for a while.

After getting used to a certain file manager, and to doing things a certain way, I think there's usually no reason to change. A month ago, I wouldn't have even considered switching to Double Commmander. I really appreciate all the work IgnorantGuru put into SpaceFM; it's been a very nice project. Besides, I'm saturnian, hello! I'm probably gonna keep SpaceFM installed even if I mostly use DC., lol.

• Like 2

I still use rangerfm or CLI commands in the terminal and pcmanfm for a graphical one.

MC and Ranger......use 'em both. I don't really know all they can do....it's just what I'm used to and I like 'em cuz they're colorful.....! :)

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1