Forum Software Upgrade

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Howdy folks!

The forums are mostly done upgrading. The only thing that it is still working on is rebuilding all the posts and boy do we have a lot of posts! But even that is nearly done.

This may take all night to finish. Actually, it took about 14 hrs! For the initial time to do this rebuilding. Should be finishing up very shortly.

Please note that as a result of the upgrade, many Avatars were not retained. We are not sure why that is. Maybe it is because they were hosted elsewhere but not Gravatars. But again, we are not sure.

Once we are back online, you will be Now that we are online, and the avatar issue is fixed, you are able to connect with your Avatars again.

TECHNICAL SETTINGS YOU NEED TO ADHERE TO FOR AVATARS:

Max File Size: MAX 50KB

Max Image size: 100w x 100h

HOLD THE AVATARS: It looks like if you have a Gravatar or had an image on the server like mine forever, all is well. But if you didn't have one on the server already, it offers to allow you to use an image/photo URL but IT DOESN'T WORK! We will get this working. I don't know why it isn't working. But we will get to the bottom of it.

In the meantime, if you have an image location online that you can PM to me, I can add it to your profile.

On the lighter side of the news...the Moderation Team link which was broken with 3.3.0, is fixed with 3.3.1 upgrade done today.

EDIT: Just found out that because of the dynamic way the Avatars are resized in the new version of IPB, no remote images allowed. It will import your remote image or your Gravatar to the site.

We did lose a couple hours by having to use an slightly older database for the upgrade due to some issues with an earlier attempt at the upgrade. So we definitely lost the announcement here about the forums upgrade. It appears that the latest posting we have before the upgrade concluded was this one:

Ugly Hardware

raymac46 - Apr 11 2012 08:29 AM

If you notice anything else wrong, once the forums are back online, please feel free to post in the Forum Feedback area here.

Edited by LilBambi
added the reason remote images were not retained and that we are back online now!

Guest LilBambi

In addition to the new upgraded forums, we also have an additional theme/skin that allows you to pick your own colors!

It's the IPB Unlimited that you can see on the dropdown menu in the lower left corner of the forum:

6927845810_69ae708bb2.jpg

If you prefer the original theme, the IPB.Board theme:

6927846332_3123c8a615.jpg

Just choose IPB.Board from the dropdown.

I wanted green for mine, so I chose the IPB Ultimate (imported) one:

7073928265_6e7af00016.jpg

Using the IPB Ultimate skin/theme, you just choose the little white paint brush in the right header area below the search and above the Recent posts:

7073928677_6c4499d487.jpg

Choose the color range from the verticle color band in middle, then choose the specific color in that range, in the big box to the left in the color picker, then when you like it, click the green checkbox.

Done.

Enjoy!

V.T. Eric Layton

Colors are COOL! I'm doing the minty Scot's this week. :)

scots-mntyshot-1.png

Thank you, Scot and Fran for taking the time to make this fabulous upgrade happen! :yes:

Guest LilBambi

Ah, shucks! :wub: Of course there were times when I thougth this was going to be my life's endeavor: :bangin:

Like your new Sig Eric! :thumbsup:

Thanks Adam! :hug:

Glad you like it!

Glad to see you back! I missed you all! It should be fun being able to choose different colours.

Edited by réjean

Explain in simple language how I can import a theme. I choose it and the only thing that seems to happen is that the shade of blue might change slightly.

Well I figured out how to download my image to my computer then upload it to use as an avatar. I also determined that the paintbrush over to the side lets me change the board colors. I haven't figured out how to make it permanent.

Duh, I figured out I have to click on the checkmark not simply close the color window!

I get there but I ALWAYS take a few wrong roads first!!! :whistling:

Edited by zlim

Guest LilBambi

Hey Liz. You don't import a theme.

You choose a theme from the drop down on the bottom left where it says, Change Theme on most any forum page. There are two to choose from.

• IB.Board Theme - IPB's default theme - blue only
  • IPB Unlimited - Purchased theme to allow us all to have whatever color we want. - Choose any color you want by choosing the white paint brush (upper right side below Search box). Click to choose a color area in the center verticle color strip, then in the big square to the left, slide your cursor around till you get the color you want. Adjust either/both setting as desired. You can even put in the RGB or HEX colors if you know them.

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya Liz. Full instructions are in this posting above in case you want to show someone else how to do it. (be patient, takes a second to actually move up and down to that posting. LOL!)

Guest LilBambi

I don't know why the firefox speelchecker doesn't work at all for Posts, or PMs. LOL!

Good Question, Norm. :thumbsup:

Will try to find an answer.

Guest LilBambi

I had to update the IPB Ultimate theme to match the 3.3.1 version of IPB.Board. Your theme may have been changed when that happened back to the IP.Board default theme.

Feel free to change it back. It will have remembered your color selection as long as you had clicked the green check mark when you made those color changes in the color picker (white paint brush icon).

The Forum Rules have also been added back into the colored navigation area across the top of the page below the header image that has Scot's face on it.

Guest LilBambi

Me too. I prefer that one too so I can have my own favorite color :teehee:

I will see if there is something about it.

I haven't checked to see if it works or not in the IP.Board one. Maybe tomorrow is another day. Too tired to do anymore tonight. :blink:

Enjoy folks! And keep letting me know if you find a problem. I will look into it.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... It was time for a siggy change, Fran. :)

Adam, I notice you're using your very old avie. ;)

Frapper, you broke my speel chicker. :( What's up wid dat? How will we know what temmu is saying now? :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, I've noticed that the formatting on many sticky'd and normal postings is totally toasted. When I find some time, I'll try to go through the sticky'd ones in BATL and get them set back up properly again.

Ah well, you can't have an upgrade without breaking a few links, er... eggs... ummm... well, you know what I mean. ;)

Guest LilBambi

frapper, it's not just us that has noticed this:

spell check not working with new version of invision power board

When editing or using the most recent version of Invision Power Board bulletin board software, the Firefox spell checker does not function.

One response said to right click and make sure check spelling is clicked, and the response was, yes, and it works everywhere but on IP.Board forums.

I checked that too, and Check spelling is clicked on my right click menu as well. I tried unclicking it checking if it was doing or not doing spell checking and it was the same. Reclicked it and it stayed the same.

Hopefully either IPS/IP.Board will correct this or Firefox will figure out what's going on with it.

We are not alone... not that knowing we are not alone really helps ...

Wait! Might have a solution!

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23932-how-to-fix-firefox-spellcheck/

Will try it and see if it helps.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, it's fixed!!!!

That's it!!!

Thank you JMichael, Evernote Mac user!

How to Fix Firefox Spellcheck

Here's the quote:

orum Users:

Ever since AVSIM (*and many other sites who use IPBoard) switched to this new version of the forum software, I had lost the squiggly red-underline spellchecking feature which Firefox has so faithfully provided. Other browsers seemingly had no issues, but something went bad for Firefox users after IPBoard got updated.

Here's a fix which worked for me, and might work for you if you have the same issue.

• Start by opening any forum, and either "Start A New Topic" or "Reply to an Existing Topic" as if you wished to actually post.
  • Type any word in the body of your message... preferably a misspelled word. smile.png
  • RIGHT CLICK on that word, and from the popup menu select the "Languages >" flyout at the bottom.
  • Select the language you wish to use - probably English.

Confirm your selection by right clicking on a word again, going to the Language menu, and verify that there is now a bullet/dot next to the language you selected. A bullet/dot means that dictionary language is selected.

Voila!

If all went according to plan, you should now have browser-based spell checking back in service for these text boxes.

NOTE
: This seems to be a site-by-site adjustment. I made this adjustment here on AVSIM and it has survived browser shutdowns and reloads, as well as new post, edits, and replies, but it does NOT apply itself to
other websites
using IPBoard. It would appear that you will have to make this quick adjustment at all IPBoard sites you may frequent, as it is not persistent across sites.

tasting tisting

yup I see a squiggly line What I really wanted was the word testing! Since tasting is not misspelled but not the word I wanted, it acted properly.

Thanks Fran! :clap:

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Liz! I was very excited to see it working again myself!

Ah, you want grammar tester like in Word, eh? What can I say ... likely don't hold your breath ... I would be VERY surprised, pleasantly mind you, but VERY surprised if that gets added!

I am just very happy to have my spell checker back too!!! :bounce: