Installing a CPU - Precautions?

Ryan

Hello friends,I'm replacing a 478 P4 CPU which I apparently fried by touching it incorrectly while installing a new CPU fan.I want to make sure I do this right. I bought a static guard wrist band, which grounds to the chassis of the computer. Does it matter which hand I wear it on? If I'm grounded to the computer can I touch the CPU? Are there any other precautions and/or tools to buy?P.S. I'm a bit confused as to why the computer with the old "damaged" CPU will run fine for a given period of time then immediately shut off. If I indeed did have a fried CPU as a friend is claiming, wouldn't it not work at all? When it does shut off - if I push/wiggle the CPU fan/heat sink, I can get it to boot again.Thanks for the help,Ryan

Ryan,I'm going to assume that you were changing the CPU fan while the heatsink was still attached to the CPU and motherboard.Not that I wouldn't try doing the same thing, but it sounds like you damaged your motherboard by pressing too hard on a fan screw. Sounds like you have a small crack or small break in a wire trace in the motherboard, and as it heats up, it expands and give you an "open" connection. This is evidenced both by the fact that the machine will run while cold for a bit, and that you can temporarily "close" the damaged connection by wiggling the CPU in its socket.Had you fried the CPU with static electricity, it would as you say be "fried" Unless your room is flying with static sparks because the relative humidity hovers around 10%, and the cat has every hair standing on end, grounding yourself to the metal frame part of the case while it sits on the table will safely dissipate any charge you might have. It is still a good idea to never touch the pins of the CPU.Those wrist guards, if I'm not mistaking, are designed to actually connect to the ground of your house's wiring, through the center screw in a wall mounted junction box. Grabbing the metal frame of your case before reaching in does just as well.I think you ruined your motherboard, not your CPU

Ryan,I'm going to assume that you were changing the CPU fan while the heatsink was still attached to the CPU and motherboard.Not that I wouldn't try doing the same thing, but it sounds like you damaged your motherboard by pressing too hard on a fan screw. Sounds like you have a small crack or small break in a wire trace in the motherboard, and as it heats up, it expands and give you an "open" connection. This is evidenced both by the fact that the machine will run while cold for a bit, and that you can temporarily "close" the damaged connection by wiggling the CPU in its socket.Had you fried the CPU with static electricity, it would as you say be "fried" Unless your room is flying with static sparks because the relative humidity hovers around 10%, and the cat has every hair standing on end, grounding yourself to the metal frame part of the case while it sits on the table will safely dissipate any charge you might have. It is still a good idea to never touch the pins of the CPU.Those wrist guards, if I'm not mistaking, are designed to actually connect to the ground of your house's wiring, through the center screw in a wall mounted junction box. Grabbing the metal frame of your case before reaching in does just as well.I think you ruined your motherboard, not your CPU
Thank you very much! What you're saying makes perfect sense. So if the processor was damaged it wouldn't work at all?I can't imagine that I didn't also damage the processor. Here's why:When changing the CPU fan, the processor came out - stuck to the bottom of the heat sink. I noticed that thermal grease had gotten down onto the pins. I doused the CPU with the only solvent I had at the time - WD40, while holding it in my hand. I was not grounded. I then proceeded to rinse the processor in hot water. Before reinstalling it I noticed that one of the pins was bent. I set the CPU on a glass top table and bent the pin back into it's proper position using a metal razor blade - again I wasn't grounded, in fact I may have been eating a pizza at the time as well.I'm assuming from what I've learned since that any one of these highly scientific procedures should have done in the CPU. It still works though. I've gone ahead and ordered a new motherboard. I guess I didn't need to order a new CPU? Edited by Ryan

The wrist strap should be connected to the chassis of the computer. If the strap is connected to the house ground, the computer could still have a static charge and damage the CPU when you tried to install it. The key is making sure you are at the same electrical potential as the computer.Adam

Thank you Adam for clarifying that.Ryan,You physically ripped the CPU and heatsink out of the zero force insertion socket? :icon8: WD40 is not so much a solvent as a lightweight petroleum distillate design to "penetrate" and loosen seized metal surfaces, and hot water is decidedly not a good mix with CPU innards, you have been saved by the fourth law of electronic wizardry which states that doing anything with the right hand while holding pizza in the left hand will work.I would never have guessed that the CPU was sealed tightly enough to survive both WD40 and hot water. :'( When you are installing your new motherboard, remember: pizza grease came out of a very hot oven, and as such, is a great substitute for the messy Thermal Grease that most people have to settle for. :devil: Another tip for reassembly: I've always found that the flat spot on the side of the power supply is "just the spot" to set your cold beer while doing all that screwing and re-cabling. Is within close reach, and you can keep an eye on where the condensation is running.Cause if we can't have fun while playing with our machines, what' the point, right?Live and learn B) Good luck B)

When changing the CPU fan, the processor came out - stuck to the bottom of the heat sink.
To avoid this, remove the heatsink immediately after using the computer (when the heatsink is still hot).
So if the processor was damaged it wouldn't work at all?
Yes, it wouldn't. My guess is that the processor is working but your computer is shutting down due to overheating. The heatsink is probably not installed properly or you have a power supply issue.
I doused the CPU with the only solvent I had at the time - WD40, while holding it in my hand. I was not grounded. I then proceeded to rinse the processor in hot water.
Use Mean Green instead and rinse with hot water. Use an air compressor for drying.