Running Mac OS on a Laptop

snminc

Greetings to all in Mac land, My apologies in advance if this question is daft but is it possible to run the Mac OS on a Laptop.My daughter is hoping to study Sound Production at college after the summer and has had the Logic Studio package recommeded as this will be £400 this make a macbook uneconomical hence the question.Many thanks for any advice offered.Scott

The politically correct answer: It is against Apple's Terms of Service to run an Apple OS on non-Apple hardware.Mods/admins, feel free to remove this sentence. Yes, it can be done.

Google is your friend...My opinion: the same as Liz. On top of that: the college may refuse this way of handling the situation due to legal problems which may arise, in other words: get over it and buy your daughter the hardware + the software she needs. You'll circumvent any problems now or in future. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Running any software let alone an operating system on hardware it isn't intended to be run on can create endless headaches with unrecognized peripherals, lack of security updates, etc. Hacking a PC to run Mac is for geeks willing to break their systems, not for someone looking for a stable environment. I'd suggest checking Craigslist and other classifieds. The one here has Macs a plenty, some at very reasonable prices as long as you're willing to work with a used computer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LilBambi

Totally agree with striker, Liz, and Jack on this.Mac software is optimized for Mac hardware ... especially software of that nature. Strongly suggest you get her a Macbook Pro and as much RAM as it will fit for such programs (audio and video editing).