The big takeaway from Google I/O: Linux everywhere

securitybreach

securitybreach
I was wondering what was ‘L’ in Android, until someone pointed out “maybe it’s Linux”. In all honestly I don’t think it’s L for Linux, but a wishful thinking doesn’t hurt given the fact that Google is putting Linux ‘everywhere’.

Linus Torvalds may have never dreamt of this day when he sent out that email back in 1991 and said, “I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.”.

Fast forward to June 25, 2014. Every single announcement that Google made today was about one thing – Linux. Whether it was automobiles, watches, smartphones, TVs or laptops – it was all about Linux....

http://www.themukt.c...nux-everywhere/

Guest LilBambi

Can't wait to see that! Hope it will be available so Josh can send it to me. I really hate such terribly limited bandwidth at Verizon Wireless. We are at 20GB/mo and last month we went over and have to pay $15/GB over that. So this month the bandwidth will be even more than usual...

securitybreach

Doesn't always mean it's available just cuz it's old. :yes:

Google IO for this year is coming up too though ...

Yup, today is Day 2 of I/0

securitybreach
This isn't just platform code, it looks like all of the recent Nexus devices are covered - everything from the 2012 Nexus 7 up through to the Nexus 5. Note: there still aren't any binary packages or kernel source for the Nexus devices, so a completely stock AOSP-based build will have to wait a little bit longer.

A few other notable projects to check out:

It's not clear yet if all of the source code is fully uploaded, but I've yet to see a project that doesn't include an "l-preview" branch that appears to contain a full file structure.

It's time to start poking around to see what we can find!

Android "L" Preview Source Code Going Live In AOSP, Includes Support For Nexus 4, 5, 7 (2012+2013), And 10