A poor workman always blames his tools !

amenditman

The Redmond crew is further alienating their greatest competitive advantage in the PC marketplace, their OEM partners.

I think all the sharp marketing folks over there have either left the building or are running for cover with this one.

It's going to be very hard in today's market to recover the level of participation and cooperation the Microsoft OEM Partner system once used to dominate the PC world.

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya!!! They can be a real pain. I love touch screens on my iPhone and on friends iPads. They work great.

But on Windows, nope. Just not ready yet for Desktops and many folks really can't afford them.

The Reg does real news, but from an interesting slant. They have some cool british humor...may be lost on some...

okay, I just recall from a few years back (maybe 5) that they did some breathless reportings that turned out to be , shall we say, "poorly sourced" - and they were not meant as jokes/satire.

But new editorial board could change that, if it did. So I'm going to take the stories with a huge fist full of salt 'til another site backs it up.

Guest LilBambi

So I'm going to take the stories with a huge fist full of salt 'til another site backs it up.

Excellent idea, no matter the source! :thumbup:

lol, i like the dry, british humor.

as some of you may (or not) have noticed... :D

I think I noticed that a bit Temmu :yes: :teehee:

I actually used a tablet for the first time last night and was not overly thrilled at all. I was beyond frustrated trying to read the output of BSOD kernel dumps on an 8" screen. So, my 30 minutes of giving the new technology a try has now passed!

Aside from the touch aspect of Windows 8, which my kids would likely destroy faster than their iPhones, IMO it is the fault of the Hardware OEMs. Microsoft has always sat on the software side of the fence. Granted MS has generally dictated policy, but like the massive problems with Vista (drivers) in 2007+, it is the fault of the device manufacturers because they had ample warning and chose a conservative approach rather than an agressive one.

We're seeing the same problems now in Windows 8 with many device manufacturers who simply do not update device drivers.

Microsoft did it right this time telling owners of XP, Vista and W7 upgrades to. . .

Experience Windows 8 on a new [hardware] system.

(or something similar - I forget the exact quote now)!

Edited by jcgriff2
  • Like 1

I actually used a tablet for the first time last night and was not overly thrilled at all. I was beyond frustrated trying to read the output of BSOD kernel dumps on an 8" screen. So, my 30 minutes of giving the new technology a try has now passed!

Enlarging the font size 150% like you do on your regular computer would be a bit tough to follow along on an 8" screen. :hysterical:

• Like 1

Hello,

I've been playing around with various incarnations of Windows 8 (and its sibling Windows RT) for a bit now on a mixture of touch and non-touch screen devices.

The experience of using the "Modern Windows 8 Store Apps (formerly Metro Design Language") on a screen that supports multiple touch points is actually pretty good. But it becomes less easy to use once you switch over to a pointing device that supports only a single-point, like a digitizing tablet, trackpad, TrackPoint, mouse and so forth.

Once you get over to the Desktop, though, it's largely business as usual (at least on Windows 8, Windows RT is different), and that's where I spend most of my time right now. Once I click on the Desktop tile, or press Winkey+D to bring up the Desktop, that's where I am for the rest of the computing session.

Right now, I still prefer Windows 7 but I am learning how to work with Windows 8 so that I can get things done in there as fluidly as I can. A large part of that is just memorizing all the new Windows Key combinations and then using them to build memory muscle. Right after I installed Windows 8, I created a little faux Start Menu on the Toolbar to kind of act as a bridge. Obviously, not the same as the full-fledged Start Menu, but it helped. There's also a plethora of third-party Start Menu replacements (Start8, StartIsBack, Classic Shell and so forth) which emulate the Start Menu from Windows 7 with varying degrees of success, including bringing you to the Desktop automatically.

A couple of days ago, I actually went and installed a copy of StartIsBack (arguably the closest experience to Windows 7's Start Menu) and do you know what I found? I really have not been using it nearly as much as I thought I would. All the programs I frequently run I launch via keyboard. I will probably remove both it and my Toolbar in a bit, but right now I just find it a little amusing to see them--plus the Quick Launch toolbar, I recreated that as well--under Windows 8.

I suspect in time that Microsoft is going to have some success with the tablet paradigm, but I think it's going to just be a gradual progression as hardware costs come down and, of course, software for the interface arrives that people really want to use, both at home and at work.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1