Mandrake 10.0 Official - Install Tips

Bruno

. . . Alternative ways to download and install, see 7th post in this thread. . . mandrake.pngINSTALLING MANDRAKE 10.0 OFFICIAL( General instructions ) - Preparation: If this is your first Linux install, check out Basic Rules for Install If you are replacing a previous Mandrake Install back up: - Your browser plugins located in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4/plugins ( or 1.6 :whistling: ) - The ~/evolution directory ( When I restore it, I chown it back to "chown -R bruno:bruno evolution" )- The ~/.galeon/bookmarks.xbel ( or other bookmarks ) - Personal things in your /home directory - Your /etc/lilo.conf ( if you are booting mutiple distro´s ) - Your /etc/hosts, /etc/modules.conf, /etc/aliases, /etc/rc.d/rc.local, ~/.bashrc, ~/.exrc if you made any modification to these files. - Set your BIOS to boot from CD and disable PNP aware OS. - There are no errata available yet. - - Put the first CD in the CD-ROM drive and boot your computer. 1st screen: The welcome screen. Press Enter Before the GUI comes back the installer is loading into memory and devices are configured 2nd screen: Language selection, default is US English, Press Next 3rd screen: License agreement, select "yes" and Press Next 4th screen: Is this an install or an upgrade ? ( Click to enlarge )1.pngTick the box of "install" and Press Next ( Advice: NEVER use Upgrade !!! ) 5th screen: Security level, fill in "root" or your email address and Press Next 6th screen: The DrakX Partitioning wizard found etc. etc. 2.png - If you have your partitions already made: tick the box "use existing partitions" and Press Next - If you still have to make partitions, or want to change the size of the existing ones: tick te box "Custom Disk Partitioning" and Press Next You will be taken to the very intuitive and easy partitioning tool.Make a 4G partition for / and a 2G for /home. 7th screen: Choose file Mount points 3.png Chose the partitons where you want / and /home and Press Next ( Everybody using partitions for /tmp and /usr too . . you know what to do :blink: ) 8th screen: Choose the partitions you want to format 4.png . . .all boxes have to be ticked and Press Next 9th screen: Packages 6.pngDo like in screenshot, tick all the boxes on the left, and only the last 3 on the right and Press Next NOTE: Including Gnome will also give you all the gnome programs you can also use in KDE . . so even if you intent to never use Gnome it is better to install it anyway.NOTE: in some cases, additionally checking the box "individual packages" and adding: kdegraphics-kdvi, koffice, xpdf, gimp data-extras, mplayer-ui, xine-ui, xmms, xmms-alsa, kdeadons, kget, xterm, bash-completion, kedit, usbview, kdeedu and nmap-frontend somehow corrects some little bug in the installer Now the install really starts it takes about 16 minutes and you have to change CDs twice 10th screen: Root password, Fill in your rootpassword twice and Press Next 11th screen: Adding User, fill in name twice and password twice and Press Accept 12th screen: Adding another user, Press Next 13th screen: Auto login, . . de-select the box, you do not want this, and Press Next NOTE: It is safer to not use this feature, and it makes that you can choose at boot what windowmanager to start. Also if you ever get a corrupted /home directory the non-autologin makes fixing a lot easier. 14th screen: Boot loader, 7.png Select "First sector of drive ( MBR )" and Press Next NOTE: It will automatically include your Windows partition for dual boot 15th screen: Summary, . . . . This is very important . . check all the settings, look at the difference I have in the two screenshots: 8.png Before configuring 9.png After configuring 16th screen:Updates . . . say yes and Press Next NOTE: This feature rarely works, but still it is worth trying . . you will still have to do the updates in the MCC after the first reboot :blink: 18th screen:Complete . . remove your CD and Press Reboot After reboot install Anacron and get the updates see this thread and subscribe to it and get notified as there are new updates posted. :D BrunoPS: If you are installing the PowerPack, or are getting errors during install: see This post in a thread where AbeL did a successful re-install after getting strange errors the first time.

NEW CDRECORD wtih KERNEL 2.6The way you burn with cdrecord changed in Mandrake 10In a nutshell, in Mandrake 10, and probably soon in other distro's with the 2.6 kernel, first do

$ dmesg | grep CD

That will show you what /dev/hd?? your burner is located . . and then:

# cdrecord  dev=/dev/hd?  filename.iso

That is all . . . . ( So no more "--scanbus" !! )K3b and other GUI burning tools will already be adapted to the new kernel and cdrecord software.The full story: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=255:unsure: Bruno

BROWSER PLUGINS: Because there are no browser plugins for flashplayer, realplayer and java . . .the best thing you can do is copy them over from PCLos ( even from the Live CD ), just replace the plugins directory with the new one:

# cp /mnt/hda?/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

( where /mnt/hda? is your pclos partition ) This will get you Java + plugin, the flashplayer plugin, the realplayer plugin, the mozplugger all in one go ! Then if you also want to use the plugins in konqueror you add the line "/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins" in the perferences dialog of konqueror, section: plugins. The only problem is that for the flashplayer to work you need to install two additional files from your CDs: libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83 and libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.83You can also download them here:libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm libstdc++2.10-devel-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm After that you are good to go ! :P BrunoPS: Some members have reported problems with the java symlink . . . . if you are too try this:

$ su< password ># cd  /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/# ln -s  java/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so  libjavaplugin_oji.so

CDWRITER If you have only one CD device and it is a CDRW: On my test system, I had to make a symlink to make it work like this:

# ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/hdc

If you notice when you want to add software in the MCC that it refuses to read the CD . . then it is time to make the symlink :P :huh: Bruno

NVIDIA DRIVERS If you install the Nvidia drivers . . . . ( you can download the kernel if you are a clubmember from the club-commercial source ): Note that in the XF86Config-4 file, the addition of

Load "glx"

( the default for nvidia drivers ) Is NOT good . . it will crash X every time you start a 3D program . . . make it:

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so"

And all your problems will be over ! :P Bruno

BOOT RESCUE CDMake a rescue CD for your Mandrake 10.0 Official . . . . paste in a root console:

mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

( If you use another then the default kernel adapt the command )And burn it to CD:

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc rescue.iso

( check if /dev/hdc is correct ) Or rightclick on the .iso and choose to burn it with K3bB) Bruno

ALTERNATIVE DOWNLOAD/INSTALL There are two alternative ways to download and install Mandrake 10.0 ( As long as there are no ISOs available yet )First get this file and burn it to CD: ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Man...images/boot.iso Then boot from the CD, and press enter at the welcome screen. You will get 4 options, there are 2 that we will elaborate here:FTP install- At the screen "Please choose your install method" choose FTP server- At the screen "About to load driver for network devices" press OK- "Please choose the desired IP attribution": DHCP- "Please fill entries" I filled in: "uranus" on first line ( name of my system ) and "lan" on second line.- Wait till connection is made and dialog shows up ( takes a while )- "Please enter name or IP address of the FTP" On the first line: "ftp.nluug.nl" and on the second line "/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/official/10.0/i586/" and press OKThen the program will load into memory and proceed to go on as a normal install.HD install- Copy all the files from

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586

to a directory ( /home/bruno/i586 ) on a partition on your HD Use Kget's integration in Konqueror and use the filemanager, ORThe next command

rsync -P -v -r ftp.nluug.nl::Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/i586 .

You DO need the dot at the end of that command !!! - Boot from the boot-CD we made above- It will give you a dialog where you want to install from: choose "hardisk"- The next dialog will ask you from which HD ( if you have 2 )- After that a dialog will ask you what partition the files are located- And the next dialog asks "Directory or ISO image _________" type "/home/bruno/i586" and press OKThen the program will load into memory and proceed to go on as a normal install.:whistling: Bruno

Yep all the sources are available now . . . . . My advice is to add them, but then disable most of them in the Media manager in the MCC and only make them active when you need them. This because your first choice should be the packages that come from your CDs. The contrib source is a native mandrake one as well so you can leave that one active too. ( And the update source of course ) But the others are only to use if there is no Mandrake native package available. . . . . Having them all active at the same time would make that choosing the right package becomes more difficult. Also this prevents you to mix packages from different sources . . a thing that should be avoided !!ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE SOURCES Mandrake 10.0 OfficialThere are a few sources you can add to the package manager of Mandrake to get extra software. Some of them everybody can add, a few ( last two ) are only for Club Members. See here how it´s done:

Go to a console, log in as 'su' and paste the line after the prompt and hit enter. Now it should work and get the list . . . be patient, it takes a while. Then as you get the prompt back, close the console ( Ctrl+d , 2x ). Now that we have added the source to your software manager, we can have a look at all the packages: Go to the MCC --> Software Management --> 'install' ( the icon with the + ). Now you will see the text : 'All packages' under the search-box., 'All packages' 'by group' change the by group in: 'by medium repository' and you will get a list with the sources you can choose from: CD1, CD2, CD3 and also the Update source and the just added source. Click in the little triangle in front of the new source, and a list will fold out with all the packages you can choose from . . . . FUN, MAGIC, BLISS ! 
Here they are: ( Don´t click on the links but paste them in a root-console ) YOU HAVE TO BE ON LINE ! Source PLF
urpmi.addmedia plfplf ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/PLF/mandrake/10.0 with hdlist.cz

Source Thacs:

urpmi.addmedia thacs.rpms http://rpm.nyvalls.se/10.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz

Source Contrib

urpmi.addmedia contrib_ftp.nluug.nl_i586_10.0Official ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/10.0/contrib/i586/ with synthesis.hdlist.cz

Source Club contributions ( open to all )

urpmi.addmedia club.contrib_ftp.nl.uu.net_i586_10.0Official ftp://ftp.nl.uu.net/pub/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/testing/Mandrakeclub/10.0/i586 with hdlist.cz

Source Eslrahc ( Link )

urpmi.addmedia eslrahc http://www.eslrahc.com/10.0/ with hdlist.cz

Source Norlug ( Link )

urpmi.addmedia NORLUG-10.0 http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/norlug/mandrake-10.0/RPMS/ with hdlist.cz

More small ones: http://www.thebrix.org.uk/ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Only for Clubmembers:Source Club Commercial

urpmi.addmedia club.comm_i586_10.0Official http://NICKNAME:PASSWORD@www.mandrakeclub.com/downloads2/comm/10.0/ with ./hdlist.cz

( replace "NICKNAME" and "PASSWORD" ) Source Club Testing ( Be Carefull With These !! )

urpmi.addmedia testing_i586_10.0Official http://NICKNAME:PASSWORD@www.mandrakeclub.com/downloads2/test/10.0 with hdlist.cz

( replace "NICKNAME" and "PASSWORD" ):P BrunoNOTE 1: If you add the sources today . . and you want to use them let us say next week, you first have to update them because new packages might have been added, and old packages might have been removed . . . so each time before using them do "urpmi.update -a" as root in a console !!NOTE 2: So again the warning: Mainly I only have the CD and Contrib source active all the time . . and only make all others active if I can not find the package I look for in those two ( CD and Contrib and of course the updates ) . . . . also you will get just too many different versions of the same package if you use all the sources at the same time, and sticking to the native Mandrake ones is recommended !

• 3 weeks later...

XMMS, and MP3s ( Also Totem ) For XMMS to play mp3s successfully, you will have to install the Xmms Alsa Output Plugin from your CDs and in the preferences of Xmms, under output plugins: change from OSS to ALSA. Totem uses the same output plugin and takes over the settings in Xmms :) :) Bruno