HP Printer Problems w/Windows 7

Purhonen

Windows 7 problem with HP Deskjet 6988 printer as follows:1. I got this printer for its low price and wireless capability. It worked fine with Windows Vista (Home Premium 32 bit).2. I did an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 (Home Premium 32 bit) and now the printer will not work.3. I tried with a USB cable. It recognizes the printer when I plug the cable into the computer (HP Notebook G60t-200) but at the last stage of downloading drivers it fails and I get a red "X" indicating driver installation failure.4. I tried to connect wirelessly with an Ethernet connection from my wall Internet (T-1 line) outlet and the printer. It worked the first time I added the printer via "Devices and Printers" but not after I shutdown the computer and booted up again.5. The printer prints a "Report Page" (from a button on the printer's front panel) just fine.6. I have a MacBook (intel chip running Snow Leopard) and the printer runs fine from it (both USB cable and wirelessly); this tells me the problem is with Windows 7.7. Spent over 7 hours with HP Tech Support either online chatting or on the phone (with them controlling my desktop during troubleshooting) and as best I can determine the problem boils down to the printer's inability to remain online.8. I open applications (WordPerfect, Notepad, Firefox, etc.) and when I check the printer status within them it says "offline."9. If I manage to find a context menu where there is an option saying "Use printer online" I check it but the same "offline" status appears when I check the printer's status in the previously mentioned applications.What is going on? I'm afraid to contact HP again for fear of wasting time.

I had some problems like these when initially setting up a C5180 (is networked but has no Wifi). The solution was simple: Before installing disable the AV and the Firewall. That's because the installer HP used was a fast one and it took too much time to reply to every question your Firewall asks and the AV also takes it toll. I tried it that way - BTW it was mentioned in the readme for the installer at that time - and lo and behold it worked. Never had a problem since.The online/offline problem: In the first place if the printer is not powered up it is offline no matter what you do, it is offline and stays offline. There's only one possibility to get it online : power it up and let it do its magic which will take a couple of minutes. (aka getting an ip address, doing its maintenance etc.) After that has been accomplished, the printer should be online and ready to be used. After a certain amount of time being unused my C5180 goes into sleep mode but stays online, no problem there either. SO when the printer is in a sleep mode and I need it, I just hit the print button is the application where I am in and after that the printer awakes and off it goes again.Secondly, if it still fails, it may be a firewall problem. I encountered that in vista when I was using the build in Windows firewall, I had to set some exceptions in the firewalls rules for particular HP files. HP has a document for my printer which explains which files to set as an exception in the firewall, maybe they do have a document for your printer as well.

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried uninstalling all HP software and drivers in Programs, Uninstall and rebooted, then download the latest drivers/software direct from HP instead of using the CD.That has worked so many times!However, recently there was a HP wireless all in one that that simply wouldn't work and it was a brand new Windows 7 computer (and had gotten the 64-bit software/drivers appropriate for that all in one). They had been having some issues off and on with it on the wireless previous to this, so they just bought a new printer. That new one works perfectly (also downloaded the latest software/drivers for 64-bit from the HP website for the new printer as well).